Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi,

I like to scissor sculpt the faces more than shaving them.  I have a good pair of small orange handled Fiskars scissors specially for cutting fabric, they have lasted me years but now after scissor sculpting two bears they are starting to go blunt  bear_sad   Can any of you suggest the best type of scissors to use that will not blunt - maybe some kind of hairdressing scissors - Jenny?  I'm going to the UK soon so can have a look when I go.

Thanks,
HUGS
Catherine

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Definitely go with hairdresser's scissors or dog grooming shears.  Not only will they hold up to the scissoring better, you'll find it grips the hair better, and you'll have less slippage as you're cutting.  bear_thumb

This company is in the US, but it will give you an idea of the type of shears I use http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product … =2405&AS=1 No matter what shears you go with, be sure to practice on scraps before tucking into a bear's face.  You'll want to get a feel for them first, as they will cut differently than the Fiskars.

Also wanted to add, the "best" scissors will be the ones you're most comfortable with that get you the results you want!  bear_thumb What's comfortable for me, might not be comfortable for the next person...

Having a touch of trouble getting the Petedge link to work...I've also found this http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/productr.asp … se&GiftID=  from KV Vet Supply.  These are actually the shears that I use currently, and have used for nigh on 12 years.  They're curved shears from Andre Tisserand.

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I don't use anything too fancy, just a small pair of curved Fiskars.  They do dull after a bear or two, so I purchased a scissor sharpening doo dad for a few bucks--I think made by Fiskars also.  You just put the blades in the slots and open and close them, there by running them over the sharpening thingy, and presto.....sharp scissors!!!!  Works like a charm!! bear_grin  bear_grin

:hug:
Tracy

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_thumb I use the same scissor sharpener too Tracy!   bear_thumb The little doo hickey works a treat!!!

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I couldn't live without mine!! bear_grin  bear_grin   It does sharpen my little scissors so easily, and it was cheap too!

:hug:
Tracy

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I use my old hairdressing scissors. I have some Joewells and some Tondeos. These are readily available on-line...but my Tondeos cost me just short of £300 and my Joewells about £150. Bear in mind that they probably do 10 haircuts a day for 2 or 3 years before I relegate them to the bear toolbox, so they paid their dues a while back!!

A decent pair of hairdressing scissors will cost you £70+ ...but they will be sharper than any dressmaking scissors....from the tips to the heel of the blade..so you can cut with the flat of the scissor or the tips equally well. You can get serated or non serated blades..and the non serated are literally like razors..we use them for slide cutting techniques so as not the rip into the hair...but they become blunt more quickly, obviously. I use serated blades most of the time.

Size wise they start at 4"...but I use 5" as I like to use the flat of the blade to get an even cut...these seem to do everything.

There are many different types of scissor...Passion is another good make but are costly.

You could probably get some on ebay...

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I bought scissors from Bear Street in California.  Ihave beenusing these for more than six years and they never get dull.  They have serrated edges which grab the mohair ir fur and are very precise, without ant fur slipping.

I think they are designed for cutting hair.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

FYI, Bear Street is run by Intercal rep Dale and his wife, Judy!  They attend many, many bear shows throughtout the year, all over the country, and carry a HUGE selection of Intercal mohair along with them!!!

The last business card I have from them states their email address is:  bearst@pixelgate.net.  Just in case you want to drop a line about Judi's scissors!

juliaceaser Posts: 1

Best I have ever used is the Saki bear_happy

Board footer