Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

How do you all lay out your patterns on tie-dyed fabric? Do you try to match up colors on the head and gusset, on the front body seam,etc., or is the mismatch part of the charm of the fabric? I will be thankful for any insight- especially from Marie if she sees this as I think she made a bear out of the same fabric I'm contemplating. I just looked it up- it is Qual. 340 s/b color 727sb fantasy vanilla/lavender/gold/brown.
   Thanks-    Suzanne

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I think it really depends on what look you're going for.
I know if I use Tie-dyed mohair, I don't like the out of control look, so I'd make the different colors work for me. So maybe I would cut it out to have a different colored tummy, cheeks, arms etc. That's if the color sections are large enough. Otherwise I do tend to match up as best i can, although it's not soo easy to do, and takes more mohair to play with.

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

I do the same as Heather I place the body so the tummy seams are touching  over a chosen colour and work out from there  :dance:

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Periwinkle2.jpgJools.jpgFleur.jpgI make sure I get the head pieces exactly where I want particular colours to be and then go random and have fun!

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

wow Paula they are great :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Kent
Website

Thanks Estelle!!  bear_original

New Jersey

Thanks, Paula, Estelle, and Heather!  bear_original  I am really afraid to experiment with this for some reason even though I have cut in many fabrics without even a second thought. I guess I just think I could make something really neat and that I might mess it up
          Suzanne

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I also try to get the head the way that I want it and then what evern happens happens for the rest of the parts!!!  :dance:  :dance:

Jane

Kent
Website

Hi Suzanne, my advice is don't be afraid!  I love this kind of fabric because you never know what you will end up with and that's the fun of it! 

Just dive in, be bold and see where it takes you - don't forget to let us see a pic when you are finished!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

WOW PAULA!  I am even more in awe of your bears seeing all of these pics that I have never seen before! I love the one that is pink and purples... is that Intercal???

Kent
Website

Hi Kim, the pinks and purple fabric is an intercal tie-dye fabric - the colour listing is red blue and white though!  Pink and purple seems to be what happens in the process.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Kim, I used the very same fur for the USA rabbit in the "All Kinds from Everything Bears" thread that Paula started.

Kent
Website

Jingles.jpgEdgar.jpgI've just remembered a couple of other bears I made in tie-dye - here they are!

Sue Ann, it was your amazing tie-dyed red, white and blue rabbit that first made me want to purchase that fabric from Intercal by the way!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

COOL, Paula!!!  bear_cool   bear_cool   bear_cool

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap:  Lovely bears!!!  :clap:

I have to say, I adore that bear on the bottom...the sort of blue with pale blue ...white? The gal wearing the shawl  bear_wub   All of your bears are adorable though! bear_wub

Kent
Website
DebbieD wrote:

:clap:  Lovely bears!!!  :clap:

I have to say, I adore that bear on the bottom...the sort of blue with pale blue ...white? The gal wearing the shawl  bear_wub   All of your bears are adorable though! bear_wub

Hey, thank you!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

teifile.jpgHi Susan ! sorry for late post.   bear_shocked 
Yes I used that beautiful mohair 340 s/b color 727sb fantasy vanilla/lavender/gold/brown before.  bear_smile
I had a same question back then and I tried to match up colors in face/head....
then I wanted to try something fun so I used light part for 1 legs with light color pad
and used dark part for another leg with dark color pad.

I wash the mohair with organic shampoo and softener, the dark brown part came off little bit(guess my shampoo was too strong)
but it shines so beautifully after! I really enjoyed the mohair.
I can't wait to see your tie-dyed bear !!  bear_grin

Paula !!!  Bravo Bravo Bravo !  :clap:  :clap:
Your Tie-dyed mohair bear is outstanding !  bear_wub

Hugs/Marie

New Jersey

Thank you Marie!  bear_wub  That bear is so cute. I'm getting ready to start but I want to draw new arms. I think the ones I have are too slim and need to be chubbier. I am in the grip of knitting fever right now so it is hard to force myself to do it as designing a pattern is not my favorite part of bear making.  bear_wacko 
      Suzanne

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Marie....your bears are so darned CUTE!!!!! You are really turning out some great bears! I love this guy!!! bear_wub

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Suzanne , I love chubby bear!!! Oh please please , I hope your knitting fever will come down soon !  bear_laugh  bear_grin  :pray:

Hayley, thank you !  :hug:

Kent
Website

Marie, what a gorgeous bear!  I love that fabric and washing it as you have, has made it look so appealing!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

GalleryForWebHEATHCLIFF-rig.jpgOAKLEY-72-standing-arms-beh.jpgI just found this thread.

I've made a couple of bears from tie-dyed/batik mohairs.  I think they have an especially richly textured look, especially in lush, dense qualities.

These are OAKLEY (golden) and HEATHCLIFF (brown.)

Kent
Website

They are beautiful Shelli!  I agree with you about the richly textured look in the denser qualities ... stunning!

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Paula, your bears are stunning !!! not sure if I have seen you at any of the shows in the UK, know I have seen your work in UK magazines.
Marie your bear looks lovely too, I will be flying to Japan in March for the show there, it will be my first visit to Japan.
And Shelli your Bear at the top looks so sad  a girl ? she looks like she wants a BIG hug.

Once again, it amazes me , and I keep saying this, how from a piece of fabric, something so stunning can be created.
bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb
Lynette.

Board footer