Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

OsoBlanco Posts: 6

Hi all - I really could use some help, as I know nothing about Teddy Bears.  My lovely wife and I were at an auction a few weeks ago, and we saw this little guy.  He has seen better days, but who hasn't? bear_original I liked him, and couldn't leave him there.  He earned his namesake for obvious reasons, and I was wondering if anybody could tell me anything about him, such as a guess at maker, age, etc.  Thank you in advance; oh, and Lefty thanks you.

He's 24" long when laid flat

Pic 1

Missing arm :(

Pic

Cutey!

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

Well, being a collector, I'll make an educated guess.   If I saw him in a shop, I would think Lefty was a German bear, maybe a Hermann bear from the 1950's???  I don't see any remnants of claw stitching on his paws.  I'll keep looking though for those red paw pads.  Sometimes it's hard to identify the exact maker.  Does his head turn??   Regardless, he's a lovely ted!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Thank you EJ.  His head is stitched to his body, and does not turn.

EJ wrote:

Well, being a collector, I'll make an educated guess.   If I saw him in a shop, I would think Lefty was a German bear, maybe a Hermann bear from the 1950's???  I don't see any remnants of claw stitching on his paws.  I'll keep looking though for those red paw pads.  Sometimes it's hard to identify the exact maker.  Does his head turn??   Regardless, he's a lovely ted!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

He does have the Hermann look with that short-pile muzzle, but since he's rod-jointed and not made of mohair, I'm going to go with 1940s - 1950s carnival bear. (The excelsior stuffing makes me go a bit earlier in age than EJ's guess.)

There were many makers, as she mentions, but only one family that still wanted to take him home and care for him. Enjoy you charming bear!

Becky

Quote - thank you Becky.  Nobody else bid on Lefty, so I'm sure he was headed to the dumpster.  Did not seem befitting a bear of his charisma.  :)

I appreciate your help.

dangerbears wrote:

He does have the Hermann look with that short-pile muzzle, but since he's rod-jointed and not made of mohair, I'm going to go with 1940s - 1950s carnival bear. (The excelsior stuffing makes me go a bit earlier in age than EJ's guess.)

There were many makers, as she mentions, but only one family that still wanted to take him home and care for him. Enjoy you charming bear!

Becky

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

Yep, Becky, I think you're right.   The head not turning would probably make him a carnival bear.  Cute!

So, does "carnival bear" mean one won at a carnival, or is that a brand?  I assumed the former, but didn't want to guess wrong.  Thank you.

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

Yes, a carnival bear would be a bear you won at a carnival.....here are two examples from my collection, Carney and Bluebell.    I don't think there's an awful lot written about them.   For the ones I have, they're necks are not jointed, nor are they mohair, and their arms go up and down together.   Who knows, seeing Carney has excelsior stuffing and blue feet and is about 24 inches tall, maybe he's a long lost relative of Lefty's???? bear_grin

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

sorry...i can't get my picture to rotate properly bear_grin !!!  Tilt your head left!

I have a tablet, so easy for me to rotate properly.  :)

I think you are 100% right, after seeing Carney.  Lefty's arms would have rotated together, if he had both.  Gruesome, but I can grab the end of Lefty's wire, and rotate his good arm.  Carney and Lefty look a lot alike - I bet they're excited to be reunited!

EJ wrote:

sorry...i can't get my picture to rotate properly bear_grin !!!  Tilt your head left!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I love a happy ending!  bear_wub  bear_original

Becky

Board footer