Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Pipa UK

Hello everyone, Sorry i've been absent for a few days. had alot going on lately !!

Well my Upholstery Velvet to make this white dove arrived yesturday. only i have a problem. it was a HUGE piece and it was folded into millions of tiny squares. So when i opened it. it has lines all over the fabric. soo is it possible to iron Upholstery Velvet ?? (It certainly needs it. i can't use it unless i get the creases out)

And if it's safe to iron. i presume you iron on the reverse ?? do i need a cloth over the top before i iron ? a dry cloth./wet cloth etc etc ??

All help welcomed.   bear_wub

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Hi Pipa, I iron upholstery fabric on the back with a cloth over it. You could try a damp cloth if the wrinkles still don't come out and then if it is still wrikled  I would wet the whole pieces of fabric and then iron it on the back with a cloth. Be sure to run your iron in the same direction as the pile. I would love to see your dove when it is finished.

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

Pippa I had this problem a lot when I was in interior design.  What you need is another piece of velvet placed pile up, place the piece you are going to iron on this face down,
( pile to pile) then press on the back with a steam iron, the pile of the piece underneath stops the pile on your piece from getting crushed or flattened and prevents iron marks.
I used this method many times. hope this helps I lewarned it from the national trust furniture restorers

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

If you have a steamer, I would try that first.  If no steamer, do what Estelle recommended.
Donna

Pipa UK

Thanks for all the help girls !! really appreciate it ::  :hug:
i will give them a go !! fingers crossed

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Don't let the weight of the iron rest on the velvet-  sort of glide over it with barely any weight....

use steam

cover your board with a fluffy towel and then lay out your velvet

NO WEIGHT

LOTS OF STEAM

And as Penny would say; "Bob's your uncle."

dilu

Pipa UK

Thanks so much Dilu  :hug:  I've managed to cut out the wings without creases. woo ! it looks good with the feathers on ! just need to make the rest of it now bear_happy

Board footer