Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

WOW They are gorgeous too!!!

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

One little warning for those who wish to burn plastics-- laminating sheets, transparency sheets, cellophanes, and even polyester or acrylic based organzas.... BE REALLY CAREFUL!  A few years ago when I made polymer clay faeries, I experimented with so many of the "fire" techniques.... they do produce lovely wings if that is look you like, but the fumes as well as any melted material can do serious damage!  USe adequate ventilation, etc....
I used to do my burning in the garage, sitting on the stoop when the kiddos were napping... One time as I singed a cellophane fairy wing, the fumes overtook me, my sight grew dim, then black, my head fell back knocking onto the concrete stair behind me, and I dropped the little cellophane fairy wing onto my bare thigh, where it promptly scaled my skin and practically melted in!  I still have a little 1/2 inch long wing mark on my upper thigh.  I was only out for a second... thank GOD!  With a newborn and a toddler asleep in the house, I can't imagine how awful it would have been had a received a concussion from hitting my head.  And yes, I had to go to the emergency room and have the melted plastic painfully scraped  from my skin.  You can imagine how embarrassing it was trying to explain what had happened.  I've always been one of those "ventilation, shmentilation" kind of people... you really DO need adequate ventilation, and don't make the mistake of working over your lap, especially with bare legs!!!!

Here's the little one that "got" me...
24159590.jpg

Now, she's only about 2 inches long, from head to toe, so those wings are really TINY, but painful, nonetheless!

You know what, I have albums full of nothing but fairies in my Picturetrail site... in the Fairy Bears album, the Babies album, and the Fairy album..... if anyone wants to know what the materials are, or basic techniques for any of those wings, just e Mail me.....

There is a link to my site below my name....
Or here....

http://www.picturetrail.com/bastadolls

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Oh she is gorgeous!!! You gals are multi talented!! Love her little wings too... painful little bugger!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Heather!  You've been holding out on us!  Those wings are glorious, and what a wonderful fairy girl.  What on EARTH is liquid poly clay?

Love that little green man, by the way.  Too cute!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Kim, you too, on the holding out thing.  Wonderful!  No wonder you sculpt first and then pattern drape; it all comes together now...

bear_original

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thanks for the nice comments. It's always nice to hear  :redface:

Thanks Shelli, I'm shocked you haven't heard of liquidd ply clay. I know Fimo has some but this is the stuff I use. I LOVE IT!!! You can do soo much with it.

http://www.sculpey.com/Products/products_access_tls.htm

I just buy it at micheals. Pretty cheap and lasts forever!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Thanks for the link Shelli...you can add that to the things you've help me with :)

Heather, Kim...all I have to say is WOW!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

AWESOME STUFF, Heather!  I'll have to find some of that...!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Ok … I am making a shopping list … gossamer fusible fabric, sculpy liquid… hmm… what else do I need… lol… I’ll have to stop by Michaels of AcMoore sometime this week.. not today or tomorrow since my hubby will be home… I like to spend hours in craft stores and it drives him about nuts! He likes to get in get out and that is it… I like to browse he he he … I guess that is a typical male thing though…

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I am in absolute awe over some of these beautiful wings.  I'm so glad I asked this question...look at all this secret talent.

Kelly...I missed your post until I went back looking for something else...darling!!!   I did make fabric wings out of this ivory fabric with gold and silver thread intertwined but they weren't what I had in my head at the time and I tossed them out of frustration.  I hate that about myself.

Thanks again Ladies...keep sharing if you got something.

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

ok i might seem a little stupid here but how do you put your wings on your bears?
Do you sew them into the back finishing seam? any pictures would be great so i can get my head around this  bear_cry
Hugs
Vicki

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

wf5e.jpgHi, I have done all kinds of wings,
the kind you print out on clear paper, the copies of real wings, they are cute but only really look good on something small.

The clay over wire looks good but does take along time.

You can also buy really sheer wide wired ribbon and burn the edges just
lightly and I think it turns out really nice.

Here is a picture of the printed out type back when I use to make porcelain fairies.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

gloriana01.jpgHere are the small leaves that have been covered with clear contact paper.
Those are cool too..........

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

butterfly08.jpgThese are made with wire glued to material and decorated with fabric paints and glitter........

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Heather,
I have to say Idid not know of that stuff either. Your wings are great!!!!

Lynn

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I love all the wings.  You guys are so talented!!!

Jane

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA
kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Gorgeous dolls Tami!!! WOW! Love their eyes especially!

I dont sew my wings on.. I tie them on with ribbons... that way a person can take them off if they would like bear_original

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Beautiful wings Heather- love the colours!!!!
Hugs
Gail :clap:  :clap:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Attaching-wings-at-back-SUM.jpgAttaching-wings-at-back-FAE.jpgI sew mine on.  Here's a pic.  First, make your bear as usual.  Then grab a scrap left over from your pattern cutting.  I use a rectangular strip of mohair that's about two inches wide to start, for a 15" bear.  Turn the L and R edges in and stitch down, then wrap the top and bottom edges around the center of your prepared wings and stitch them together neatly at the back.  Now you've got a pair of wings with a mohair "wrap" around their center.

You can then stitch the top and bottom edges of the closed mohair "wrap" directly onto the back of your bear, and brush around the stitch lines to blend the new mohair into the back mohair. 

It looks like the wings are growing right out of teddy's back, between the shoulder blades!

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I wanna play and make some wings!!!  Would you believe I was researching this very topic while at home with my mun...looked at the angelina fibres as a real possibility

I LOVE your wings Heather - they are so beautiful

Kelly - I have used silk flowers too and on my minis silk and feather butterflies

There are also these fabulous wings made from irridescent stuff on mylar plastic.  My friend bought these and gave me some - we've both used them (on bears about 2.5 inches) and they are gorgeous much more beautiful than in the picture.  I also love the grand silk flower wings they have but my bears aren't the right style or size for them
http://sistersanddaughters.com/wingsandeyes.html

And finally, if you want to see fantastic use of a similar style of wings as I linked to above, check out this Australian mini bear artist.  Her work is superb.  I just missed out on the bear that I wanted of hers at the last Melbourne show I went to, but my friend got one and it was so beautiful.
www.roseyday.com

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Heather Way cool !!!! LOve those colors for brightness of butterflys...

Oops...Shelli...can you please give the link to the doll site ? I know I have  been there before but years ago.. Many techniques for the makeover dolls, repaints ( Barbie, Gene)  can be sued for other dols and bears...there is just so much stuff to try out....Winney

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Egads what am I talking about..look at alll the lovely wings and links...that should keep us real busy for awhile....Hmmm, one more question...

Shelli..the lavender holy ( burnt) wings are the ones I was looking to make...can you share with us how this is done ?....If not, then ok.... wINNEY

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Wow! What incredibly gorgeous creations. Again, you all have me in awe of your creativity and talent.

This is a great topic and has me bursting with questions. I don't want to pry into anybody's secret methods but I'm sooo curious....  Heather, did you paint those stunning polymer wings? If so, did you paint them before or after you baked them? Tami, what sort of clear paper do you use? Shelli, the bear in the top photo is my favorite of all your bears I've seen. She's simply beautiful. Are her wings made out of some sort of paper-ish material? They're very cool.   
Uh.., I could go on and on with more questions but I'll stop... If you don't want to give away your secrets, no problem!

I was trying to make a pair angel wings out of some sheer fabric I found... I thought they looked okay until I saw all the lovely wings on this thread... I think I'll start over now...

Board footer