Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

have been asked to make a bear with a growler, I dont have a clue where to put it for maximum effect should I fix it some way so it cant move, help please  bear_wacko

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Estelle I use growlers in my larger bears, I put them in the tummy .I stuff the tummy of the bear as usual being aware I am going to put a growler in there .. I place the growler in a bag (I use tights that I get cheap and cut them) to keep out the fibers.and .. putting the holes of the growler facing the front of the bear so when he is tilted forward and back he growls ...I have done it facing the head so when he is turned upside down and back he growls and finsh stuffing the bear making sure I can't feel the growler too much... and sew him up..

Todmorden West Yorkshire

thanks Patsy thats geat

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

My big bears always have a growler in their tummy.  I use the traditional cardboard variety because they have a nice deep growl.  I pop them into the tummy with the holes facing the back seam, so that when the bear is tipped backwards, he growls as he is brought towards his owner for a cuddle.

There are other options if you want to get creative ... what about sealing two growlers together, with the holes facing so that one is pointing up and one down (you'd need a reasonable body cavity for this) so that your bear growls whichever way he is tilted!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bear_grin  bear_grin

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

OH Paula what a great idea. I use growlers as well when its a big bear. But not once did it occur to me to add 2 growlers, am I :doh:  or what?
I love adding music boxes to my dogs. I always set them under the tail. bear_grin I might be slightly warped, doing that ,I;m not sure. :redface:      Matilda

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Matilda do you put the winding mechanism in the tail?  Or is it someone else I'm thinking of?

WA

I've used waggy tails with a music box and then when wound the tail wags while music plays. I made a poodle for my sister that way. I put a butterfly on the end of the tail so the movement was more noticable.
I'll give anything a try I will. Sorry no pic to show. I mucked up the connection on my scanner.The pics are digital. The winding key was put in an inapropriate place. Right under the tail. :redface:
Bronwen that would be rather cute. Wind the tail round and round to turn him on...hahahahahah bear_grin I dont think that's possible though.         Matilda

Kent
Website
matilda wrote:

Wind the tail round and round to turn him on...hahahahahah bear_grin Matilda

Why oh why is this making me chuckle?????!!!!!!  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_whistle

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap: What fun ideas for windup mechanisms!!  I'd love to see the poodle with the butterfly on its tail.  I've got a wonderful friend who adores poodles (has 3 of them, and I used to groom them when there were 5).  I'm sure Nita would love something like that!!  bear_wub

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Paula, Matilda... Where do you ladies get your growlers?  Granted, you're big oceans away from me, so your suppliers might not be great choices for me in California, per se.  But I'd love to see the growlers you use (a photo, or a link to your supplier's web catalog, maybe?) and explore how much they cost.  I'd love to try one, sometime.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I like growlers.  Some people say they sound like calves...and they really do...BUT...bears also sound like that too. I think people expect a bear to growel like a lion...nice and fierce but they don't.

You can get growlers in difference sizes.  I use them sometimes in larger bears.  I have a bear  that I bought where the maker put the growler in the head so the bear did not have to be tipped as far to hear it growel....can't hear it anyway as the bear is high up on my plnat shelf so I never cuddle her. bear_ermm

Kent
Website

Shelli,

I use Oakley Fabrics (have done for years!) here in the UK. 

You can visit Roy's website at www.oakleyfabrics.co.uk

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Paula... is your quote, "The only way is up" from somewhere in particular?  It's a line from a song in the musical RENT, which I adore.  Just wondering where you got it...

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Shelli,

CRcrafts sells growlers. 
Here are a couple more places you can get them. Also, Edinburghs sells pullstring growlers.

Bear Ingredients  http://www.bearingredients.com/misc.html

Dear Bear Marketplace http://www.dear-bears.com/our_catalog.html

and one more:
Spare Bear Parts http://www.sparebear.com/052319/tools.html

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Ooh, thank you!  I actually have a catalog from CR Crafts.  Must dig that out!

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Your welcome Shelli!

I get sooo much out of TT, it makes me feel ridiculously good to be able to contribute a little something useful. :redface:

bear hugs

WA

I get the plastic barrel growler from 'Gerry's here in aust. I would love to get hold of the ones that Paula uses. I'm sure Paula you said they were cardboard.
It's the placement of the growler in the body cavitiy which gives it what ever effect your after. My bears dont growl until you right them after being tilted.I place mine upright close to the back seam. But only because I was shown that way and being :doh:  I didnt think about changing it. I wonder at times where my brain is. :doh:  bear_grin Go on get your bears talking.............
Matilda

Todmorden West Yorkshire

thanks guys you have been so much help, I dont have aproblem buying growlers. I have a cjoice of cardboard or plastic. I may buy both and see which sounds most like my bears voice, I can allready hear how it should sound in my head ( now whose crazy)  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

WellGrizzled Posts: 1

Hoping someone finds this in 2016! I have a La Sioux large cardboard growler from the Brideshead Revisited 80s teddy bear craze. I can no longer recall if it ever growled, AND my cat knocked it out of my hands just as I popped off the cardboard top. Anyone know what side is up inside? How to repair? I certainly didn't expect what I found! Shouldn't the inside fit snuggly to work?

Board footer