Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Well, It has just occurred to me today as I was on my way from school to school as the traveling French teacher today that I am semi retired from bear making  bear_sad  I realized that I have been working on the same bear for more than a month now. I have only managed to make and sell a couple of 6 inch bears since school started in September. I tried to be ready to enter something in the awards from my previous creations because I could not get anything made in time but missed the deadline due to a series of events( weather,time,picture snafus etc.) Maybe I will enter next year bear_rolleyes

Anyway,between teaching anywhere between 1-5 days a week ( most often 4-5) at various schools all over the county,managing my own three children and their schoolwork,science fairs etc and many other things, I cannot get any bears made. I'm too exhausted and unmotivated to do anything after lesson plans,meal prep,laundry ,homework etc,etc,.
I am not complaining or looking for sympathy I am just musing that at a time in my life when I had hoped to be an amazing, well known artist that I have not reached that point at all but am instead, semi retired. I guess God has a plan and it is not my plan,I'll just have to wait and see what will become of me.I guess I'm just wondering, can I be a school teacher, a mother , a wife and a bear artist all at the same time?

How do you girls that work and have families manage to get bears done and and keep developing your skills. I wish I could see improvement and growth in my skills but I seem to have come to a stand still.
I guess I'll have to wait and see  bear_smile  Thanks for listening to me ramble and muse.Big hugs, :hug:   :hug:

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Well, Shari...if it makes you feel any better.  I am an empty nester, home all day alone and I STILL don't have the time.  I think it is called mis-management.  I dauddle away at things that I shouldn't be doing (like chatting on TT) and don't do what I need to be doing.
I need someone with a whip or maybe it would be a little easier if I took a class in self-discipline.
Nanc....

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Shari,
      Even though my children are grown and I don't work outside the home, I go through lulls - I think we all do.  The ladies that work AND have small children AND produce teddies have my deepest admiration - I really mean that.  I am in awe of every single one of you.  I really don't understand how you do it all. 
     I was completely ready to quit bearmaking a few years ago.  I hated doing shows and all the stress that came with them and attendance was dropping.  Ebay and the internet really saved me - I love having total control over what I make.  Now I think I will make bears forever or until my hands give out LOL! 
     Don't get too discouraged - this is a bad time of year, after the excitement and chaos of Christmas.   I think if I were in your position, I would just spend my free time scouring some of the bear magazines, or even browsing on line.  Sometimes just seeing one really special piece will jumpstart your creativity and inspire you to try something new or give you an unexpected idea.  Relax, and don't get too stressed out - spring is just around the corner.  Take care and bye for now.

Hugs, :hug:

Brenda

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Oh poo Nancy , your so right, I should get off TT and do something but I don't spend near as much time here as I used to and usually only when I'm too tired to do anything else but read about what you gals are up to.Really though,if it weren't for the inspiration and joy I get from ready the posts here,I really would be retired because I probably would not have any motivation or inspiration at all  bear_smile   bear_wub If it weren't for you gals and all your amazing talents that make me think that I can one day be as awesome as you girls are ,I wouldn't even bother. I love you all!!  bear_wub   bear_wub  :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I havne't sold anything in months because I spend too much time here; am building my design business/portfolio; and have been totally dedicated to making just three contest pieces, which were fun, but don't pay the bills.

I also stay up regularly until about 2 a.m.  Which is NOT good for me.

It's not possible to do it all.  We each get a "pie" worth of energy every morning when we wake up.  We decide how many slices that pie will hold... and who gets each slice.  After all those slices are handed out and chewed up, there's no energy "pie" left.

It must be hard to not be where you would have liked to be, Shari, but your work is good and time is so on your side.  Accept that it can't be that way, but don't get too discouraged, would be my advice ... for what it's worth.  Maybe something will inspire you -- a picture, something in an antique store, a child, an expression or animal at the zoo -- and then BANG!  You're back in it!

It all works out.  Trite, but I've found, true.

Hang in!

:hug:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I didn't touch the sewing machine for 8...yes 8 weeks as I had flu and then flu again followed by more flu......so this week I am up and at it again...and it does feel good. Coincidentally I have had a fair few enquiries too which has spurred me on as well...

It was so hard to get back down to it but  then I just decided on Saturday...'today's the day'....I hope I keep it up now I am on a roll!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
nanc*e*bears wrote:

Well, Shari...if it makes you feel any better.  I am an empty nester, home all day alone and I STILL don't have the time.  I think it is called mis-management.  I dauddle away at things that I shouldn't be doing (like chatting on TT) and don't do what I need to be doing.
I need someone with a whip or maybe it would be a little easier if I took a class in self-discipline.
Nanc....

Nancy - you have no idea how 'To A T' you described me right there!

It's not that we don't HAVE the time... we just don't MAKE the time. Self-discipline class!  bear_wacko  NO! I'd never get myself there!!!!  bear_tongue  LOL!

If I were to look at how many bears I made BEFORE Teddy Talk and how many I make now I'd know EXACTLY why I'm not producing anymore!  bear_whistle

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado
nanc*e*bears wrote:

.    I think it is called mis-management.  I dauddle away at things that I shouldn't be doing (like chatting on TT) and don't do what I need to be doing.
Nanc....

I'm with you, that is how I feel sometimes.  I'm home all day, but between trying to design my barbie dolls and wanting to play with learning how to make Teddy my day seems full.  bear_rolleyes

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I work full time and have the bear business 2 nights a week and Saturdays from 9am - 1pm.  I don't have enough time to make the bears that are in my head!!!  I also have a daughter and 2 grandkids who live across the street from me and on my nights off from the bear shop they come to visit  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  I love them but last night I had a lot of things planned but they were here until 8:30!!!  Im usually in bed by 9:30 because I'm up a 5:45am!!!

I looked at some of the posts under How Many Bears and I'm shocked by how many some of you do in a week.  You must be like machines! bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Don't get discourage perfection takes time and you will pump them out someday!!  I look at everyones bears as well and hope that someday I will be just as good. 

Jane

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Thanks girls for all your supportive messages  :hug: I didn't mean for my post to sound like I was discouraged and whining  bear_cry  I was not trying to be negative but just sharing my new found realization of a situation I have come to accept. Thanks for listening  :hug:   :hug: I truley value your supportive ,loving ,caring and sharing natures!!  bear_wub   bear_wub

Lisa ,you make me smile so much with your "true to life" child raising stories. You might want to consider doing childrens books if you ever get time, your stories are so entertaining and true!!  bear_grin   bear_grin   bear_original

I know there is a bit of time mismanagement on my part but I find the rewards from reading all the postings here (even if I don't have time to reply or comment) very much out weigh any lost or "wasted" time.  :lola:

In regards to inspiration, I'm not really missing that , I have tons of ideas  and techniques that I want to try but not enough time to carry them through. I guess that I am just reaching a realization that I cannot teach and make bears in the way I would like to. My body is too exhausted to create all the things in my mind. I am accepting the fact that instead of a bear a week , I will be making a bear a month or even every two months. I just hope that my collectors and faithful followers on ebay will accept that and not desert me. :redface:    I can only do what I can and will not stress myself over the rest.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Shari, it sounds like you are looking at your situation very realistically.  It's wise of you not to over-tax yourself . . . when you are extremely stressed, everything suffers.  Many best wishes for you to create when you can and spend time with us when you can.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  bear_flower  bear_flower  bear_flower

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Hang in there Shari, I know how you feel bear_sad

I work full time, both kids are doing sport during the week, there is house cleaning etc to still do, and these wonderful chat boards.   

I just find time here and there when the kids have gone to bed and stay up way too late.  Just finished my first bear which took way too long 6 weeks, eekkkk due to christmas and kids school holidays.

Just don't give up your work is fantastic. :hug:

Board footer