Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Any oneover the age of 50 can add to this list.....after all it is so long ago we will need to help each other remember:

you remember NEW MATH and still don't get it

You weren't allowed to go to school in pants if you were a girl

you were confused by why your mom cleaned the bathroom in flats and pedal pushers and Mrs. Cleaver wore high heels and a ruffled apron

you remember FIZZIES and a happy fizzies party was letting it disolve on your tongue
(I loved the root beer ones best)

You remember the film Reefer Madness -

You thought patent leather shoes were the coolest but had to wear saddle shoes to school

They gave you the My Weekly Reader in school and you thought it insufferably dumb

You left your doors unlocked

so did your neighbors

Mom and Dad had separate beds.....just like on TV

but then got the newest....KINGSIZE! 

You remember your first TV, B&W and there were 3 stations. WOW!

You actually did do "Duck and Cover" drills at school

You were in school the day President Kennedy was killed, and it was the day before Thanksgiving

You loved the smell of copier fluid when you ran of mimiographs for the teacher...it was an honor

Bicyles had 2 speeds.  Stop and go.

You saw the Beetles on the Ed Sullivan show- again first run

You could walk to school without anyone worrrying about you

Neighbors who saw you walking home would give you a ride....and you could take ti safely

You thought Stripe toothpaste was newest bested

"You wonder were the yellow went when you brush your teeth with............"

The best shampoo was Breck

McDonalds was an amazing innovation

You went to sock hops

You had more than one family on your 'party-line'

GASOLINE WAS 25 CENTS A GALLON

and when your dad filled up with gas you sometimes got a glass bottle of Coka Cola from the big red chest that was filled with ice and cold water

The only watch anyone wore took a licking and kept on ticking

'It's Shake and Bake and I ........."

Wolfman Jack wasn't beamed al over the world

Fruit in the store tasted like fruit

"I like Ike" buttons did NOT refer to Ike and Tina Turner

Long trip monotony was broken up by 50's technology:  Burma Shave

There were choices, Butter and Oleo

the penny candy counter was a penny........

more to come I am sure

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

We wrote at school using a pen with a nib using ink, and each day or week you would stand in a line and get the ink well filled.
The Beatles, with Elivs Presley, Cliff Richard, were the latest rock and rollers.
It was safe to accept sweets from a stranger.
A penny bought you lots of things.
We were given fresh fruit and milk every day at school.
And South Africa was still 50 years behind the rest of the world !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bear_original Lynette

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Dilu! Remember GO GO BOOTS!   bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Many Hugs Louise

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

flouresent bobby socks,
full circle skirts with  huge musical notes round the hem
  that would make a twig look huge
real glass waisted coke bottles
third of a pint bottles of free milk at school
the end of sweet rationing :dance:

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

bear_grin Ahhh...the memories............

Mom didn't work, she stayed home with the kids.
Every one in the family sat down to a home cooked meal at the dining room table together.
No seat belts in cars
No bicycle helmets

:hug: Ellen

Todmorden West Yorkshire

One of my greatest memories from the 50s was being taken to see the King give a speach on Portsmouth Guildhall steps. He took me on the crossbar of his bike and we got stuck in the tram lines and nearly missed it

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

I loved my hula hoop!
Saturday was special because we got to go to town and had 25 cents to spend on whatever we wanted.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Crinolines (Spelling?) under big skirts - my sisters wore them - I hated skirts!  I look at all the lists and can say "yep" to everyone.  I guess that makes me old NOOOOOO!

Hugs,

Brenda

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Going to the Mattinee on a Saturday morning to watch Roy Rodgers .. Hopalong cassidy and  Flash Gordon ..having yoyo comps half time ...Paper nylon underskirts starched with sugar water ..... listening to the serials on the radio ...

Todmorden West Yorkshire

Oh Patsy were you in the UK then, you have just described my Saterday mornings to a tee and we all cheered when the good guys came on  :clap:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I was never allowed to go to the cinema on Saturdays mornings...instead I had to go with my Mum to Sainsburys ..when the assistants worked behind long counters and served pats of butter  wrapped in paper and poured sugar into blue bags and tea was bought in quarters and sausages were hung in loops on hooks..and we lugged all the shopping home on the bus.

We had lino on the floor and our radio had to warm up before it came on...so did the telly...and when we were kids we used to watch the test-card till the kids programmes came on...can you imagine!!!!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Rag rugs in front of the fire .. Black lead fire surrounds with the oven and the kettle used to be on the top all the time.. boiler in the corner of kitchen ..... Sunday's a baked dinner of sorts ..  Mushy Peas, Yorkshire pudding on the dinner and then with jam for sweets... going for walks on Sunday evening (Summer) Mondays wash day washing was always boiled in the copper and then transfered into the tub and swished around with the dolly peg and then put through the mangel oh yes and blue bags to keep the washing white....... Bubble and squeak for dinner usually left over from Sunday...

Dilu Posts: 8,574

In california we had TRAMPOLINE parks.  Where 15 or 20 trampolines would be set up, actually the one I went to the werent up, they were level with the ground and you jumped down, it was dug out underneath

Chuckles the Clown

Engineer Bill

Meeska Mooska Mouskateer......

The scarriest thing in the world was the Twilight Zone....and I still think about that  scary mythical creature- on the wing of the plane.....William Shatner???

People actually went to other peoples homes to vote

and more people did vote

POLIO

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Halloween lasted 3 nights and the kids were out in the dark alone and nothing happened to them...and you could eat the candy.

Slumber parties...Friday nite dances at different friends house.

Buzzin the drive in.

"He lit a match to check his tank,
That's why they call him skinless Frank"
Burma shave.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Pixie Stix, pouring peanuts into a bottle of Dr. Pepper, candy aspirin, "bubble" haircuts, cat eye glasses (spectacles), paying $.09 to get into the local movie theater, poodle skirts, roller skate keys, walking on stilts, drive-in movies, jeans with the legs rolled up, bobby sox, penny loafers, dancing the jitterbug, Johnny Mathis, Bill Haley and the Comets, Fats Domino, ELVIS  bear_wub  bear_wub and much, much more.  What a decade!

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Hula hoops !!!!!!!!!!! boy were they just fun, and good for the figure,
Jenny I did not know you fitted into the golden oldie group ?
Trampolines- I can still do a sumersault ? (spelling) much to the amusent of my nieces and older sister
bear_original Lynette

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Lynette I was born in 1955 so I just remember the 50's ......but more of the 60's

Board footer