Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I just thought this would be a fun topic and hope it hasn't been done before and I've missed it.  I am a huge collector and when I connected to the internet and discovered ebay, I was in heaven  bear_innocent

I have three of my favourite collections to show you all, one I started in the 80's as a child and have finished through ebay.  (I wanted to show you this in the 80's thread but thought I would begin a new thread instead)
anyway..don't laugh...I love my dollies and they are one of my prized possessions.  I am a really big little girl at heart and one day I will be brave enough to show you pictures of my room lol.  The best bedroom ever according to the kids who visit lol

okay here are my photos bear_original

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

22-beanie-kids.jpgct.jpgssc.jpgStrawberry Shortcake, Cherished Teddies and Beanie Kids bear_laugh

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I collect bears and antique teacups, china.  I use to collect barbie and porcelain dolls.
The doll collection grew so much, most of it is packed away in the basement.
So I have slowed down on the dolls.

I love to check out antique stores for
handpainted china thats my favorite! It just looks so pretty displayed .

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I collect Boyds bears (I have over 80), Boyds' bear wedding items (I did but not now), artist bears (I have over 20), my hubby collects fire trucks and firefighting items (he is a paid firefighter   bear_wub  ) baskets, pomeranian items (I have to pomeranian puppies), frog stuff and I am sure there is something I am leaving out

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Oh golly!  You've opened pandora's box asking that question!  I go through phases of collecting really.  Before Christmas I was collecting great big apothecary/candy jars so I could display, en masse, my collections of antique glass ornaments.  I have a penchant for pretty handmade velvet and ribbonwork pincushions too.  They also look lovely en masse in apothecary jars.  A serious downfall of mine is antique children's clothing and old silk and velvet flowers.  Let's see.....I also collect bunnies and bears and old dolls that have been truly loved.  And then there's my collection of dress forms, and ironstone pottery, and ladies lace collars, and Halloween, and the one thing my husband chides me the most for.....children's chairs!  I really don't have that many.  I'm just so drawn to them for some reason.  Probably because they're perfect for bears!  bear_wub 

I guess the easier question here would be "What don't I collect?"   bear_whistle

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I collect teddy bears of course, but I also collect antique coffee makers, the old glass ones, the double boiler kind. Glass coffee pots, antique enamel coffee pots and coffee grinders etc. I have them displayed on shelves in my kitchen.
I collect junk too! That's what my husband says,  bear_grin  bear_tongue  bear_laugh  bear_grin
Kathy

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Kathy- I'm not being smart... do you like coffee?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I have a small artist bear collection that I plan to grow over time.  I also collect birdhouses; most of them are wooden, and all of them, displayed on top of the bookshelves in my dining room/sitting room.  I also have a small collection of ceramic pitchers; a closet full of mohair!; baskets all over the place (although they don't "look like" a collection because they're mostly put to good use!); and craft and coffee table books -- I just have way more than the normal number of those!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I collected Beanie Babies for a few years.  Had to stop as I have no more room for them and have put most of them in storage.  I also have quite a few Boyd's Bearstone figurines, but had to stop that, too, for the same reason.  What I have most now is mohair (YES!!) and bear supplies.  Hubs, on the other hand, has a gazillion collections.  Michael Ricker pewter, coins, matchbook covers, angels, PEZ containers, small mechanical tin toys, and on and on.

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA
kbonsall wrote:

Kathy- I'm not being smart... do you like coffee?

Like it, If you could get it intraveniously I would just be hooked up all the time!!! bear_grin  bear_grin
I love all coffees, expresso, cappuccino, lattes you name it I'll drink it. I even love Iced coffee.
That is how the collection started , I can't stand drip coffee machines so I was looking for an old fashioned percolator. bear_tongue  Next thing you know I am buying all these cool antique ones.
Love,
Kathy

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I collect bears( of course) dragons, turtles, Wooden boxes.  My favorite is a solid rosewood box that was used to hold maps in the19th century.

kimkc Australia

Bears, naturally!
Charms for my charm bracelets, but thats limited to the countries i visit so its a slow collection. Hubby bought be a Japanese doll when we were in Japan, but i don't think i'll collect them, no room.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I collect Krystonia.  They are little dragons and things from the land of Krystonia and each piece holds or has a crystal.  I probably have around 90 pieces!  I haven't purchased or been gifted any for about a year as Im running out of room.  Oh I guess I did get one of the Krystonia books for Xmas. :redface:

Jane

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

My main collection is childrens literature, because I love the childrens classics AND for the fabulous illustrations.  I have 8 copies of my favourite book - Peter Pan, illustrated by different artists, followed by duplicate copies of my other favourites, Alice in Wonderland, The Secret Garden and The Wind and the Willows.  I love to spread them out and see how each illustrator has  interpreted them.  Arthur Rackham is my absolute favourite, followed by Jesse Wilcox Smith, Beatrix Potter, Cicely Mary Barker, Lizbeth Zwerger and on and on and on.  It's a good thing our wee grandson already loves his books as he wouldn't survive in this family LOL!
    I have a very small artist collection of bears and my newest addition will arrive next week - a Forget-me-Not bear.  I have wanted one for ever and ever.  Hubby is good to me!  I also have two of Diane's Wee Scones and adore them.  I  love antiques, and pick up a few small pieces when I find something that appeals to me.

Hugs,

Brenda

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website
thumperantiques wrote:

My main collection is childrens literature, because I love the childrens classics AND for the fabulous illustrations.  Brenda

Snap!! I also collect children's books.  I have a combination of old books and new books and collect children's mystery fiction as well as picture books and classics.  I love FH Burnett too...I think Sara Crewe just about pips The Secret Garden as my favourite but it's a hard call. 

For nostalgic reasons, I also collect Agatha Christies though I haven't added to that collection in a long time.

I love pigs (would love one as a pet one day!) and have a little pig collection though I haven't added to it much in the last 10 years and most of it is at my mum's house.. 

I have a small artist bear collection - I don't have a lot of cash to spend so i only buy selectively...and I try to buy only white bears though that's been broken a few times lately.

Ohhh but my ADDICTION is ribbon and lace and pretty boxes....I absolutely love ribbons and have more than a suitcase full (eek)  I swear that I won't buy any more and it never works.  I try and justify it by saying I use it in bearmaking and cardmaking but it still doesn't excuse it.  [Sigh], I bought more today but Alexis made me I swear!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I of course have started collecting artist bears...my goal is to have at least one from each of you someday  bear_grin  I collect dolls and most recently collected a few "reborns" which I love.  Several years ago I started collecting Longaberger baskets and pottery.  I have way more than any sane person should own and decided to sell the ones I wasn't really using...boy did I make a killing on Ebay with those...considering I got most of them free for having so many stupid parties (my friend was a director & I was a sucker).  I still have too many but I use most of what I have.  I have a small precious moments collection that my children started for me when they were little...mother's day & birthday gifts.  I also have a few vintage musical powder boxes (they are in boxes but someday I'll bring them out again.) 

I think that's about it.

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Wow what a variety of collections we have here. I collect Artist Bears, Boyds Ceramic Bears, Miniture Shoes, Royal Doultons, And any thing angel!

Many Hugs Louise

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I collect R John Wright pieces...I haven't very many but I do love them...I also have a few Steiffs but i don't  'collect' them.

I would like to start a collection of Lenci dolls since I think they are beautiful...the only dolls I really would buy...though I do like dolls.

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

I collect dragons, green depression glass and have the entire collection of the Ty Bitty Beany Babies given with McDonalds Happy Meals. Of course, I'm also working on a small collection of artist bears, minis so I have lots of room left for those!
bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

jenny wrote:

I collect R John Wright pieces.... I would like to start a collection of Lenci dolls

Ahhh... a woman after my own heart.  I had a small doll collection a while back -- long since auctioned off on eBay -- and my DREAM purchases would have been the felt dolls of LENCI (from the 30's or 40's, preferably) and the very early R. John Wright pieces.  Are you familiar with the little old people he made, men and women?, some of them carrying hand carved staffs, all of them wearing very rough hewn clothing?  They came out of a time when he was still developing his name and craft, but they are just superb!  Such wonderful character and expressions... and not at all like his current (also wonderful) child-like, sweet-faced dolls.

The old Lenci's are gorgeous; the newer ones, even dating back to the 80's (that's 20-some-odd-years at this point) just can't compare. 

I have books on both R. John Wright and Lenci, still, and if I ever tried doll making in a serious way, I'd make felt or cloth dolls.  Janet Anderson's sister, Maggie Iacono, makes wonderful felt dolls for her company, MAGGIE MADE.  I can't tell you how many times I've resisted the impulse to fully investigate THAT particular connection here at TT.  I'd love to know how to make a pressed/formed felt head, without ten million dollars worth of metal press, forms, and dies.

I have only one R. John Wright piece -- and it's a bear.  I can't even remember the name, but it's one of the little ones, that came in beige, brown, and white.  I also kept a Kathe Kruse doll; I would love one of her old ones, too.  I just love the fabric on them!

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

On my travels I would collect a small charm teddy bear, then decided to add them all to a charm bracelet. It is always something to talk about at the fairs as people are drawn to the charm bracelet. (Picture will follow). I have said that it will always go to my first grand daughter when she is old enought to wear it one day.My husband in Korea placed a bid on a 22 gold carat teddy bear made by a Japanese artist, in an auction to raise funds for the Tsunami victims in conjunction with Linda Mullins and he won the bid. I will collect the bear when in Japan, something I am excited about. My late 35th wedding aniversary and late Christmas present.
My other collection is the Swarovski crystal teddy bears( Picture will follow).
bear_original
Lynette

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I think I can say I collect vintage suitcases and  those bigger luggages (don't know the name in english  :redface:, you know, the one in which a dead man is sent away in a Hercule Poirot bear_laugh) from the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th... I buy them very very cheap (not more than 30 euros  :angel:) and give them an old new look ;). I love wooden boxes or metal boxes too... All kind of boxes in fact bear_laugh : I even wish I could keep some chocolate paper packages  bear_rolleyes...

Bears, of course ^^ :
I have two artist bear for the moment : Dilu's Peterpolarkins and a Tea Bag Bear (not a TTalker artist for the moment, but I think I will tell her to join us : she seems to be very nice ! bear_original )... And maybe Diane's Dumfries if I'm not too bad with the auction  :dance:.
A few Steiff vintage animals and fewer bears, but I do not collect them.

And I like tea cups and mugs, I have too many for a normal use I think^^ (and I drink mostly hot chocolate in my tea cups, isn't it chocking ? bear_tongue bear_laugh)... I like teapots very much too, but as my mother really collect them, I have a good reason to buy some bear_laugh...

I have too many Nowegian sweaters for a normal person too, I think... bear_rolleyes

I love all things where there is an old Alice in the Wonderland drawing on it... I have some marvellous children play boooks (a house-book which is one of my favorite ! :love:).

My fiancee and I collect Science-fiction and fantasy books... We have so many books... bear_rolleyes  bear_rolleyes

Oh, and I have many Corolle dolls from my childhood I will never part with (mm... if I have a girl some day, she will have them, I think:) ).

Wow... I'm kinda talkative bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh....

Hugs dear friends  :hug:  :hug:.

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Picture-028.jpgPicture-029.jpgPicture-059.jpgAs you all know i collect doll houses and hear they are again ha!ha!

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I collect teddy bears...  bear_tongue  mainly teddy bears from Merrythought, and began to collect artist bears too with my swap bear. There are two new artist bears on their way...
I used to collect stamps but I have stopped, because I was not looking at them very often and did not find that very exciting.
Malko is collecting old clocks (mostly mechanical clocks).

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Board footer