Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Okay, I think I've read that a few people on this board do spinning, but I don't remember who.

Anyway, I have an idea that I was just wondering whether it was do-able.

Since I make crochet bears with yarn I was wondering about having some custom yarn spun. I hope this doesn't sound too odd because I really have the best intentions at heart. I have a long-haired Himalayan cat who is getting up there in years and I know she isn't going to be with me forever. I wonder if I could shave some of her fur and have it spun into yarn. Then I could make a little crocheted cat that I could always remember her by. And I think it would be extra special to be able to touch that little kitty and know that a piece of my Pookie is right in my hand. And she did have to get shaved before...looked a little goofy but she didn't mind and it does grow back!

Any helpful info on whether I could actually do this would be greatly appreciated!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sandi, I  know the undercoat of dogs can be used, but that stuff is almost like roving.
As for cats fur, I don't think it could be spun.
Maybe someone else knows different though.
Great idea! I know I hear of people getting hats are scarves made of their pets fur.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I know folks who have had their dog's fur spun in similar fashion. One woman had her dog shaved when it was put to sleep!

Yea, anyway... it's a very sentimental and lovely idea you have! I'm sure you can find someone to do this for you. If not someone here contact your locally owned yarn/kintting shop... they'll likely know of someone!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Sandi,

If your Himalayan's fur is fine enough, it should be quite spinnable. It's the stiffer guard hairs that seem to be spin-resistant.

I've been collecting my dog Lucy's brushed fur for months (she's pushing 15!), and I've got quite a pile stashed. I've never used a spinning wheel or a drop-spindle, but I'm considering a go at the drop-spindle. Meanwhile, I find myself idly finger-spinning clumps of the fur (rabbit/cat/dog) I rake off the furniture!

Eileen

Yay! I found a place on the net that specializes in spinning pet fur! And they do cats too! http://www.vipfibers.com/

I can either collect the fur from brushings or use clippings. So I guess I will get a bag started to stash the brushed fur. If it takes forever, maybe I'll get out the clippers!  bear_grin She is very soft to pet, but most of the hair that comes out in the brushing is alot softer. So I think it'll work just fine.

I remember brushing my dogs in the summer. Oh my goodness, so much fur came off. I joked around about saving it because that undercoat was incredibly soft. I didn't give it much thought after that because I don't know how to make yarn!

And I want to do it now while she's still with me. I don't think I could bear to shave her after she passed.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

remember that the fluff the comes in the brush after you brush your pet can be felted as well.
You need alot of it, but a cool idea I think.

I don't know how to needlefelt, but I could probably send a big bag of dog fur to every felter on this board!

Do you think I can get fabric made with pet hair?  bear_grin  That would be very cool!

Board footer