Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

vkallum Humble-Crumble Collectors Bears
Essex, England
Website

I've just finished stuffing a bear head with kapok, I wanted to try a more "traditional" filling - no wonder someone invented polyester!

It seems to keep packing down forever, while you suffocate in the loose fibres.  Although it's packed in really firm I'm a bit concerned that it will deflate a bit over time.  I was just wondering if anybody has used it and found that it goes a bit soft after a while - I think I'd better let the head sit for a bit before I joint and finish it.

Before I go ahead and finish the bear I'd be interested to hear what you girls think of it.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Its not the easiest of things to work with. I only use it in miniatures but I would find it hard work in bigger bears.

Essex, England
Website

Hi Amanda

I thought I'd give it a go - I've had a box of it tucked away for ages.  I'm using it in a 12" bear (that's quite small for me), I don't thinkI'll be able to manage it for anything much bigger.  I can see how it would work well for minis.

I quite like the feel of the finish, the bits I've stuffed so far certainly feel different, they also sound different too, sort of hollow.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Kapok's very distinct isn't it?  I've got a very old bear that I think is partially stuffed with kapok.  I've never used it myself, so I've no idea how it would act over time.  But my bear's very firm where I think there's kapok...although some of the stuffing has shifted over time.

Perhaps one of the other girls can tell you?  I'm curious to know, as its always fun to use something new  bear_flower

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Vicky..I haven't tried kapok...the fluff puts me off...but I regularly use cotton fibre which is great for packing into small spaces...they do say it disintregates over time...but how long ...who knows...!!!!!??

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I've never used kapok but have a standoffish association with it because some people -- like my dad, for example -- are VERY allergic to those flyaway fibers.

It is, though, from what I've read, one of the traditional stuffing materials, and can create a wonderful little bear!

I personally use polyfil, that I buy in huge boxes at Wal-Mart.  I only use polyfil throughout, but I stuff it particularly firmly into the muzzle area using a metal stuffing rod I got from our own Donna Mettling (shortylucy.)

Essex, England
Website

Debbi - you're right it does have a very distinctive feel - the stuffed head is very light almost as if it's made of polystyrene, in fact I quite like the feel of it.  I've just done his face, I couldn't hold off and wait to see if he deflated over night.  I have to say it gave a very nice base for embroidering his nose.

Jenny and Shelli - I know what you mean about those fibres! bear_angry I was actually considering putting on a home decorators mask, it was horrible breathing in the airborne bits of fluff - they were everywhere.  I didn't have any form of allergic reaction to it, it was just unpleasant.   I usually use polyfil too, but I ordered a large box of kapok a while back (and woodwool too bear_whistle ) so I thought I had better try and use at least some of it!

If his head has collapsed byy the morning I'll let you know!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Vicky...I do use a mask....especially when scissor sculpting...I don't want furry lungs...especially as I've probably already got hairy ones!!!!

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Been there done that, won't be doing that again, kapok that is.

I liked the way it felt in finished pieces, but it end up in my mouth, nose, ears, eyes, and anywhere else it could get. It really irrated my contacts, my eyes turned red
I used one bale up and never again.
bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

I used it once........just once.......... bear_cry

beary_clairey Luton

Hello,

Again I have used it in minis and have had nice results with it. I think also as I am using that much less, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.For larger bears I tend to stick to polyfil although I have used wood wool in the nose of bigger bears before. I like the feel of it and it makes nose embroidering a doddle !!

Has anyone ever used the jelly like pellets in a bear ???

Hugs

Claire bear_whistle

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I've used jelly pellets, but don't think it's a whole lot different from using regular plastic pellets.

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Hi Claire,

I have used the Jelly Pellets before and think there is not much difference from regular pellets (the hard plastic ones) as SueAnn said.

Although, I used it in a smaller bear 5 inches or so.  Possibly if it were a larger bear it would have worked better.    It was tough getting it around the cotter pins and such.   

Ps, I love Kapok for minis, it packs like a rock and not lumpy, very good for shaping a head.  I also use a bodkin for stuffing. The flat end works wonders for being able to get small bits of stuffing in to the mini's head/nose and the round end is fabulous for turing little arms and legs.  It will not poke through the ends.     Tried the regular poly and all I could feel was lumps.  Possibly my bad. 

Duff

Board footer