Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

crisw Posts: 12

Right now, I have several bags full of wool sheared from an Angora goat and a llama. It's too chopped-up for yarnmaking (you should see my llama's haircut! He was not fond of the process), and I haven't learned needle-felting yet:D

But it's soft and warm and I think it would be nice for stuffing critters. Does anyone have experience with how it holds up over time? Obviously, it couldn'tbe used for washable items. And I'm wondering if it would be more likely to attract moths than mohair (although I've never seen a clothes moth in Southern CA; don't know if we have them here.)

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Hi crisw

I've seen many UK bears stuffed with sheep's wool (roving), but never one stuffed with goat or llama. No reason why it shouldn't work.

I really envy you your stash! And your beasts and your lack of moths! I'm thinking of shearing my collie . . .

If I had such riches, I think I'd really try needlefelting them.

Eileen

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Yes, I would too Eileen, I think it would make lovely Needle-felted bears or critters. Hope your enjoying some sunshine.I am making the most of it. 2 more days to go .Ugh. Hugs Rita xx

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

RitaRita

Get out there and do something wonderful and rash before you go into hospital!! Order a ton of mohair, or . . . whatever. Once this is over, and you've had a rest, you'll be better than new :D

Eileen

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Eileen,
                   I've just ordered the DVD's of Hamish MacBeth coming out in July.  Did you see it over in Canada ?,about the little white Scottie.  Anyway, the next 3 are due out in December so I have earmarked them for Xmas....  I am not usually a person thats down very often ,but maybe the age factor has something to do with it, my health in general is excellent apart from this. However ,looking on the bright side,and I'll speak to you all soon again.  Hugs Rita xx

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Good for you, Rita!!

We have the series here, or did, but I've never seen it. Is that the one starring John Hannah? If not I love him anyway. I gave my hubs the Joan Hickson Miss Marple for his b'day and my youngest several seasons of Monk--all for me too, of course.

I'm hinting madly for my own digital camera (one that works), and might just get it for my b'day at the end of July :D

Definitely keep an eye on the bright side. They found something before it got really bad. You can keep your spirits up planning bears!!

My doctor took me off hormone replacement, then found that my blood pressure and cholesterol shot way up. We're working on it, but it scared me some. :(

Eileen

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Eileen,
                It was Robert Carlyle that starred in Hamish Macbeth,although John Hannah is a very good Scottish actor also. I took a load of bear to Posh Paws in Helensburgh last week ,but forgot to take my camera....Silly me. I am a great believer in prayer and this group will have me up and about in no time.. Thanks Everyone. Rita xxx

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Rita,

Is this the same Hamish Mcbeth that is the copper and solves wonderfully fun mysteries?  I didn't know you had dvd's.  If it the same I've read the books and love them.

HANG in there.....the following is from a nursing perspective....things your doctors and nurses should tell you but are usually too busy to:

It is very very normal to be depressed after a major surgery-some of it is because of the anesthesia and some of it is because the body has gone through trauma and is using its resources for internal healing-but the depression can leave one feeling odd and out of sorts.

There is usually a euphoria the first day home, and sometimes it lasts a week, but then there is this let down...and the energy goes and the mind and body go too....nothing to worry about, perfectly normal, and again it is the body conserving resourses for the healing....

Bowel surgery is unique-the bowels don't like being messed around with and can take quite a while to get back to normal....petulant little things they can be....one of the best things you can do for your healing process is to walk.  Oh I know you won't feel like it, but if you do a little more every single day you truly will speed up your healing process-soooo as soon as your surgeon tells you to start be sure you do and don't skip a day.  try to do it several times a day- in the long run you will be happier even though you wont like it in the begining.

Another thing they don't tell you is that it really does take a year....a YEAR.... for the body to completly heal-----that is a long time and just when you think you should be all better you have a set back and feel like you just took 16 steps backward.....if you know ahead of time that this is normal and that you are doing the right things then it will help you from feeling too blue when you do have problems and feel like you are going backward instead of forward.

The other super important thing to remember is to drink lots and lots of water....oh no, not tea ( you can have that too and juice and whatever....) but plain old fashioned water will help you flush your kidneys and get the nasty anesthsia out of your system and also the healing process will produce a lot of debris...dead cells and such that you want to get flushed out.  We have these wonderful cells in our white blood system called, here in the states, Killer T cells.....their primary function in life is to gobble up the debris in the blood and carry it to the kidneys and liver where we can get rid of it  the process is called "phagocytosis"....probaby called the same in Scotland because it is Latin.  Pathophysiology really is kind of fun....and plain old fashioned water assists the water in moving that stuff out of us.  It is also quite nice for helping maintain a nice complexion and not having quite so many wrinkles....but that's another story

Well, there's Nurse Dilu's premise on post surgical healing....in a nut shell....drink water, walk and rest.....and don't do anything more strenous than sewing on a bearykin nose!

Do you have home health in Scotland?  Is this something you can have, will the insurrance pay?  If so, you might want to have it, for no other reason than you will have a nurse who can encourage you and check your progress and assure you that you are normal.  And answer those pesky little questions we all have but when we see the doctor he/she is in and out so fast we forget to ask...

It is soo sad that people have surgery, get kicked out of the hospital the next day or so, and no one tells them what to expect and they are left to their own devices, and if no one can encourage them with facts then they think there is something wrong with them..

When really everything is going the expected way and had they known they would have felt better about themsleves and their progress!

The gollies and cats and I are thinking of you and sending really great wishes and prayers!

Dilu

Ayrshire, Scotland.

My Dearest Dilu, You are one amazing person,  You have just answered a lot of questions for me in one go. I will do as you have said and abide by the rules, you can be sure if I need to understand some more after I have my surgery I will be in touch with my Personal Nurse Dilu.  We do have a great District Nursing Service here in Scotland and always after Major Surgery. Will keep you informed of my progress etc...

Now ,Hamish MacBeth was the policeman with the West Highland Terrier, what a great series it was, so now ,on the 25th of July they are bringing out the first 2 DVd's and a further 3 in December.  You look after all your wonderful wollygogs whilst I am away,and Thank-You again for the much appreciated information.

Huggles Rita xxxx

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Yes...Nurse Dilu comes to the rescue everytime...better than Superman, Batman,more like Super woman ?...we love her so...Nurse Dilu is our very own Gollie Good Nurse ...We love you Di....Winney

Board footer