Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

mwaggs2 Quilts-N-Critters
Middletown, Ohio
Website

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone could help me? I would like to know how to make a Collar to put on my Bears. Not like a Dog Collar but like a stand up Collar, maybe even using one from a mans shirt. But I want it to look formal. I know what I'm looking for I just don't know how to explain it.

Any help would be GREAT. bear_grin

Thanks in advance
Marilyn

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I've never made one so this is just a quick idea....
I'm assuming the bear will be too small to actually fit a man's shirt collar but why not go to your local WalMart, etc. and see if you can find a child's shirt the right size/color and cut the collar off, hem it where you've cut and there you go.

To make your own you'll want stabilizer to hold the collar's shape. An iron on/fusible interfacing would work. If you have a man's shirt around you could use that collar as a template, then just shrink it on a photo copier to the size you need. The specifics of stitching are not something I'd guide you on as I do everything the hard way!

Also, do a search on eBay for a such a thing, you just never know. And Louise (bearsbybeesley www.bearsbybeesley.com) also sells clothing and accessories on her website so you might want to check there.

Perhaps someone will have a much simpler idea..... I"m still on my first cup of coffee!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Marilyn,
     I think I know what you mean, but have company coming in a few minutes.  I'll try and draw one out and take a picture of it for you, so you have an idea what shape you need.  I've made collars for lots of small bears, so it should work the same for bigger bears.  I'll try and do it this afternoon and post it them.  Hope that's okay!

Hugs,

Brenda

Collar3.jpgcollar2-2.jpgHi Marilyn,
     I don't know if this is what you want, but this is a simple "boy" collar for a bear.  I make minis, so I just fuse two pieces of cottong together and then cut it out.  If you are making a big bear, you might want to cut 2 pieces and then sew them together to make a more polished collar.  I did this really fast for you out of paper, but you can close it with a button, to make it look nicer.   I hope this helps you some and sorry it took me so long.
                                             Hugs,

Brenda

mwaggs2 Quilts-N-Critters
Middletown, Ohio
Website

Hi Brenda & Daphne
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
I'll try it
Marilyn

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Thankyou Brenda!  It is the most simlified design yet. Well done! Wonderful, Marvelous!!!!!!!!
This design will get quite a lot of use from me I think. I love collars on my littlelys.  This will make it so much easier.!!!! :clap:  bear_thumb Matilda

Hi Matilda,
     Glad I could help out.  I love the look of collars on wee ones too, and after a lot of fiddling, this was the quickest method I could come up with.  I have the tiniest buttons and always sew on on the collar to fasten.  If you have trouble sewing it (it has to be done on the bear), then you can sew one to the front tab as a false front, and then just glue the two tabs together.   Looks just as good.

Hugs,

Brenda

Board footer