Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Everyone
I want to make a cream and dark brown panda . I need to know how to dye the white to make it a cream colour. What dye to use etc. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks and hugs
Gail

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Gail, I know Intercal carries mohair dyes but here are some other ideas for the 'thought pot':

Tea bags add just a touch of color.  I just used tes to dye some white wool just a bit deeper color. 

RIT dye works like a charm.  If you have never used this, I would go sparingly to get your cream color OR what would really work well is to dye all the panda pieces in the same dye bath , only remove the lighter parts first, leaving the darker parts of the panda in the dye bath to become more saturated.  this way your colors would be the same but with different intensities.  I did this when I made the frog that one of my bears was holding. The tones would really match nicely.

RIT makes a nice dark brown and cocoa brown.  You can get a nice light creamy tan color by doing a very quick dye dip for the lighter parts.  It's fun to play with colors.  Best of luck Gail.

Anyone els have any ideas?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

No new ideas... just reinforcing one of yours, Judi.  If you use RIT, which works beautifully, do be sure it's a LIGHTNING QUICK dip if you don't want the white to go past "cream."  I found that RIT takes almost immediately to a fairly intense shade, esp. if you start out with a fairly intense one to begin with.

Have fun... dyeing is a total blast!

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Here is a fantastic custom color dye chart from RIT itself (stumbled across this on the web the other day!):

http://www.ritdye.com/color_recipes.asp

Have fun!
Kelly

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ooh, awesome... thanks Kelly!  You're my go-to gal today!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Thank you Kelly! That will come in handy!!  bear_thumb

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Thanks for your help everyone- Kelly that chart is the bees knees Thnaks so much
Hugs
Gail bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Bev College Place, WA

Thanks Kelly I've been looking for a chart like that for ever. Bear Hugs  Bev

Board footer