Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

I want to make some custom buttons and want something stronger that polymer clay. I thought resin might be the answer, especially after seeing Judi's great resin claws. I started looking for resin and found way too many different types to choose from!
What is the best type to use?
I would appreciate advice from Judi or any one else with resin casting experience.

thanks!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey Bonnie,

I can be of no help when it comes to resin, but I love to use Aves Apoxie sculpt. It's good and strong, but I can't compare the two.

Okay, I guess I wasn't too much help :redface:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Bonnie , I am a novice with resin and I do know there are different types. 
I can tell you it is quite involved.  You need to first scuplt your project in clay and then make a rubber mold.  Then you mix the resin chemicals and pour it into the mold that you make yourself. 

I bought a resign kit from Hobby Lobby, for $62.00, which comes with the resin chemicals, the powder to mix and make your rubber mold, and a manual.  It's not hard, just tricky.  I am sure it will become easier the more one would use this process.

Here is the info I have:

Alumilite Corp.

www.alumilite.com

What I do like about this in comparison to polymer is that this stuff is rock hard.  Let me know if I can help you in any way. bear_original

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Bonnie I don't know what you want to do with the buttons ......but I made some a few yrs ago now and they are still OK but I used Salt dough and cut out the shapes I wanted painted them, put the holes in and baked in the oven ........ if you want the reciepe I will post it I have a Dr appointment so I have to go now but let me...

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Thanks for the input ladies. It is all very welcome.

Heather,
I don't know what Aves Apoxie sculpt is, but it sounds interesting and I will definately check it out! bear_thumb  Where do you get yours?

Judi,
I didn't realize Hobby Lobby carried resin casting kits. The town nearset to me that has a Hobby Lobby is 80 miles away. bear_sad  The good news is, I need to make a trip up there anyway next week.  bear_original  There is also a Joannes a Hancock Fabrics, and a Micheal's craft store there!! Woohoo! Shopping! :dance:  No telling what I'll come home with. Some bargains I hope!
In the meantime, I will see what I can learn about different types of resin on the web. I know I should have done that in the first place but I got lazy, hoping I could pick someone's brain that already knew all about it!!:rolleyes:
Thanks for the Alumilite link Judi.

Patsy,
I remember salt dough! You can do all sorts of things with it. I used to have the recipe, but I lost it. I'd love to have it again. Thank you! bear_flower

:hug: hugs,

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I wish I had more info to post but I am so new to resin myself.  Have fun and good luck!

Board footer