Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Dilu Posts: 8,574

A friend brought me some wax from the Lincoln City show.  They are small triangles of wax, one yellowish one brown.  The label says ezy-wax.  I called the vendor she bought it from but wasn't able to get much in the way of info.  These triangles are much much harder than beeswax.  The lady said they were from Austrailia. 

How does one use them?  And does anyone know where else this wax can be obtained, in larger quantities?

Thanks

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Dilu . . . yes, you can buy Ezy-wax from Beary Cheap.  I've never tried it, but I think another way to use it is just rub it on your completed embroidered nose.  As it comes in colors, you won't have to add color as I do sometimes using the melted beeswax.  When I put several layers on, "white" places show up; then I need to add whatever color I want the nose to be with permanent markers . . . or whatever paint or coloring agent you prefer.  Anyway, think it's worth a try and may use it myself one of these days! bear_original

bearbottombears Bear Bottom Heirloom Bears
Nova Scotia Canada

Hi Dilu
I too have experimented with wax noses.  I bought the little yellow triangle of wax from Beary Cheap in Australia...
But I am Kinda Beary Cheap so I wouldn't dream of breaking pieces off to melt :lol:
I use the method suggested by Sue Ann...I simply rub it on the embroidered floss ...If you then take a piece of smooth card and rub it vigorously, the friction heat melts it into the floss nicely.  That way I avoid the ugly white spots!
You can continue rubbing and buffing until you get a layer that suits you.
I prefer the wax to the nose varnish that I bought here in Canada at the Teddy Bears on Vacation show in Toronto.  It smells and looks a lot like modge podge and it dries hard and shiny. 
Looks good but it kinda worries me. Does anyone know anything about its properties?
Gail

Thank you Gail, Ginger and Sue Ann;

It is so hard I am afraid to try it on a made nose, so I think I will experiment- You might have a point about melting, there would be a lot of waste, even using a shot glass or something else small.  I will start a web search and if I find other sites i'll let you know.

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Hiya, Dilu.  This is how I do my melting.  I melt a large chunk of beeswax in an aluminum pie pan on top of a  stove burner (set the heat at the LOWEST temperature).  When it's all melted, I just use a small paintbrush to brush on the wax.  When I'm through, I leave the paintbrush in the remaining wax (in the pan) and it will harden.  I just put the pan away until I'm ready for the next nose to wax . . . then start the process all over again.  Depending on how much wax you melt will determine how many noses you can do . . . eventually you'll have to add more beeswax, but this has worked well for me and none of it is wasted.  bear_laugh

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Just be careful about heating the wax over direct heat (I also make candles LOL!)  That wax can flash into a fire in no time.... you can also melt it in that aluminum pan in a shallow pan of water (a make do double boiler)... there would be less chance of a fire...  I don't mean to butt in here... I'm positive Sue Ann has been doing this a long time... but I just felt I should add that safety note since I've heard too many bad stories about heating wax over direct heat from my candle making friends...

One way I used to just slightly soften a small block of beeswax is to hold it over a toaster for a little bit... but be careful here too that the wax does not drip into the toaster! bear_shocked  I've just softened it a little this way... it never got soft enough to drip.  But I tell ya...I'm going to try Sue Ann's method of melting all the way & using a paint brush!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Thanks for the safety tip, Laura.  I have an electric stove, so think that's a bit safer than a gas one.  I also never turn the heat on the burner any higher than the lowest point on the "warm" setting.  As yet, I haven't had any accidents, but you can't be too cautious.  Thanks again!! bear_original

Nicholasville, KY
Website

{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}  bear_laugh

Thanks guys,

Great ideas, I like the idea of melting in a dedicated pan and having a dedicated paint brush.  I don't trust myself with the stove, Sue Ann, when I am 'bearing' I get caught up in other stuff way to easy.  The Toaster sounds like something I can handle.  Self limiting danger, there.

I tried just rubbing it on last night- got some courage from all of you- and I was surprised.  As hard as the wax seems-I couldn't push a thumb nail in it- It rubbed on easily.  I think I need practice though, because I am not yet happy with results. 

Thank you all, I will continue learning

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

You're very welcome.  You can do it any way that feels "right" and "comfortable" for you.  Hugs,  Sue Ann

Where's Winney;

She was talking about 50% water 50% white glue and using it on noses.  Is this the same as the bear varnish that was mentioned earlier? 

I like the idea, because it would protect the nose from pickers like my husband.  Hmmmm, that did not come out well....

The glue would sort of cement the nose so that you could see the color and threads but people looking at the bear wouldn't be able to move the threads around.?  What a great idea you guys. 
Thanks

Is this the basic idea?

Hmmm....even if it isn't the basic idea you all were trying to get across I think I'll try it to see if it works.  On a leprechaun bear I used three shades of regular embroidery floss....but I feel the nose is vulnerable.  But if this glue/water thing would strengthen it I'll try it.  Tonight.

Thanks you guys-

Dilu

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Dilu,

I've never used wax and certainly do like the way it looks but I started out using -- yes! -- a 50/50 mixture of plain ol' Elmer's white glue mixed with tap water.  Brush it on in thin layers, making sure to keep everything "bubble free".  It does, in fact, make your nose hard... but not ROCK hard.  So it can't be... um... "picked!"

:D

Hope this helps!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

You people are killin' me here!! bear_grin bear_grin I hear that laughing is good for you . . . well, I ought to be the healthiest person alive!!

Nicholasville, KY
Website

LOL!!!!  You guys crack me up!:P:lol:

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

bear_grin Trolling around in the old posts and I come up with nose pickers!!!!    :crackup:  :crackup:
I knew I like this place for a reason...  :crackup:  :crackup:

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Elaine, I had the same problem with the white spots.  After the waxed nose hardens you might be able to get rid of some of the white by heating the nose with a hair dryer. That  may help the wax soak into the threads better if the wax isn't too thick.

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I've also purchased this wax from Beary Cheap and it really is hard. I've used Sue Ann's method and it does work well to melt, but, I'm a little wary about heating on the store because I do have a gas stove. I've never had a fire. I bought an electric glue pot at Michaels thinking this would be great to use and I do leave the wax in the pot and it can be reheated next time. However, I don't have the "Sue Ann touch" with waxed noses and so I haven't tried it for a while.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Oooooh . . . white, or milky, spots are GOOD!  That's when I get out my permanent markers (Prismacolor) and color the white.  I usually use a color that's close to the bear's fur color.  Then I varnish the nose and the result is a marbled effect.  So as the old cliche' goes - when life gives you lemons, make lemonade . . . or some such trite stuff.

Abilene_nose.jpg

Coco_nose2.jpg

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I use the wax and varnish depending on the bear. since I do just mini's have to be extra careful. I use the beary cheap wax I take little tiny pieces and lay it on the nose and use the hair dryer to melt it into the floss. when I get it completely covered I let it set then buff it later. face.JPG

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Sue Ann: What kind of varnish do you use? Is it specific for teddy bear noses or some general product? Where can you buy it? I thought you only used the wax to get those perfect noses.

Kathleen Pa

SueAnn , I love your marbled noses!!!!!! bear_wub

Kathleen

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Actually, I just started varnishing a few months ago.  For a loooooong time, I used to just buff the nose to a shine, then decided the "finish" would last longer if I varnished it.  So that's what I've been doing lately.  All I'm using is a decoupage finish which I use frequently for other projects and it seems to work well.  The particular brand I have is Royal Coat satin finish in antique.  I'm sure other similar products would work also.  Thanks for liking the noses, ladies.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

My bear noses are so small, I just light a beeswax candle and dip my brush in the wax as it melts around the wick.  I've been using the same bees wax candle for ever LOL!  Don't forget to buff with paper.

hugs,

Brenda

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I must be doing something wrong.  When it's hot and I paint it on it just flakes off once it has dried or when I go to buff.  I have tried various waxes and have had no luck so it has to be me.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

ralph.jpgSassy has some wax pencil type sticks that come in different colors. They can just be rubbed on over your embroidered nose, then you can paint on the nose varnish (Sassy as well) and voila - sealed nose. If I want it sparkled then I paint that over the wax and then the varnish.

Board footer