Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I've got discs sized up to 4", however does anyone know a source for larger than this?  Or does anyone make their own?  I was working on a big baby grizzly bear the other day, and was pushing the limits of my available disc sizes.  I would hate to ever have to scale back future projects for lack of a big disc source.

Thanks in advance,
Kelly

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Hi Kell

Gollygeewhiz.....if you know anyone with a band saw you can buy peeler cores at garden supply stores or Lowes or Home Depot.....but then you would need to know someone with a drill press so you could drill the holes for your hardware.....

It would be much easier to buy the discs wouldn't it....I hope you find us all a source....

Dilu

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hmmm .....I wonder if you could use those big metal  lids that come off of the big pickle or mayonnaise jars..ask for them at a restaurant.
One time I made some real big joints by cutting out  cereal cardboard circles then I laminated about 4 or 5 layers together with Elmers wood glue...Wow they were strong too... Winney

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I've been making my own hardboard disks (not that many yet!) with a hole saw and a power drill. My son-in-law has a drill press, but it seemed easier to use the drill.

For anything larger than 4", I'd definitely try laminating cardboard. Winney's right--it's very, very strong and stiff. I once made a whole dollhouse out of cardboard and Elmer's and, if the mice hadn't got to it, I think it would still be standing! :rolleyes:

Eileen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

wow!  Great idea's....And Kelly's right-who wants to be hampered by the sizes of available discs?

Dilu

Black Forest Bears Haus of Bears, Inc.
Largo,Florida

Hi Kelly,

I still have a lot of those big Disc`s which I dont use anymore.
Making this large Bears is not my thing, and it shows on the Bears.
If you like the ones I have, let me know.

Rita

Board footer