Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Alice.jpgGuess what it sold for..... $41,000.00  That is not a  typo!  Forty-one Thousand Dollars!  Isn't that amazing! 

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals
http://www.picturetrail.com/bastadolls

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

The bear he donated to the Katrina auction brought in $10,000 at the San Diego auction.  And I was impressed with that amount.  Wow!
Donna

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I've just picked myself up off of the floor  bear_wacko

Blimey - what a lot of cash!  bear_shocked

I think the piece is truly fabulous but i have to say that i would be more likely to spend that sort of money on a face lift and new boobs ha ha ha ha ha ha

maybe the new owner is already too beautiful for words?  bear_flower

Penny  :dance:

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

WOW !!!  GASP !!!. " HELP I'VE FALLEN AND CAN'T GET UP " !!... E GADS.... that's an incredible amount but....

its a John Wright piece...he is like a living Beatrix Potter that is famous while he is  still alive...hmmm, most painterly artists  have to die before their paintings become of enough value that the artists could have lived on the wage....when they were still alive... That is a beautiful piece.
I noticed he always creates items that are already famous....he somehow gets the " rights " or buys the rights...to do the piece...anyone know about this?...Winney

Deb Upstate New York
gotobedbears wrote:

I think the piece is truly fabulous but i have to say that i would be more likely to spend that sort of money on a face lift and new boobs ha ha ha ha ha ha

Me too Penny!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Kim, how did you get the IDEX update on this?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow . . . oh to be 1 millionth as talented and popular as R. John!

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Gorgeous work of art and WOW, what a price tag!  It's wonderful that the substantial proceeds are going to such a good cause, I imagine he must be very pleased!

bear_thumb

Cheers,
Kelly

Hudson, Ohio
Shelli wrote:

Kim, how did you get the IDEX update on this?

Shelli, Since the Theriault's auction house so graciously donated their time and auction services, not only was there the live, in person auction for those lucky enough to be in Florida in January... but there were also phone in bids, and an on line bid system using the Proxibid service..... Last night, you could also connect in through a live audio/video feed via the internet, so you could actually watch the whole auction just as if you were there!  It was really neat to be able to hear the auctioneer's comments about my "Baby Bear" and hear the audience comments, etc....

Since IDEX is a trade show it's a manufacturer heavy crowd as far as exhibitors go... or those who make limited editions.... and the auction was mainly dolls, with a doll friendly crowd! ..... I was just really happy that "Baby" sold!  I'm thrilled that I was able to contribute to such a wonderful charitable organization!  In addition, I've already had two e Mails and three phone calls from retail outlets who are interested in carrying my bears!  THAT'S a real bonus... I'm not sure I'll be able to do it, but I thought it was pretty cool nonetheless!

The link for the final prices for the auction pieces :

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=3477

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals
http://www.picturetrail.com/bastadolls

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_shocked I wonder how many hours went into the designing and creating of this stunning piece??  The Catepillar in Alice was tied with the Cheshire Cat for my favorite character....but I'm afraid I'd be looking for extra land to buy..or a house or..???  Maybe new boobs n a face lift too  bear_grin !!!

Hudson, Ohio
Winney wrote:

I noticed he always creates items that are already famous....he somehow gets the " rights " or buys the rights...to do the piece...anyone know about this?...Winney

Yes, R. John Wright hold a license to produce the Alice pieces, as well as Mickey Mouse, Raggedy Ann, many of Beatrix Potter's illustrations, and a bunch more... I think at one time he had Paddington as well... You purchase the license to have the right to create "official" works.... you usually need a license to do a piece that reflects the image of a famous person, or character as well.  That being said... generally a one of a kind artist piece, even when produced for sale, is okay.... it's generally just when you are making multiple pieces for sale that you can run afoul of licensing regulations..... It's one of those areas of law that has changed over the past couple of decades...

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Kim, thanks for the info; I didn't realize any of that!  Your bear went for a lovely price and yes, it was for a wonderful cause; good for you!  It was a selfless gesture... and I'm glad it paid back some dividends of interest in your work.  That IS a fringe benefit.

Looks like the whole shebang generated huge income for the Katrina survivors, which, as an end, is just terrific.

Thanks for the update!

bear_original

Hudson, Ohio

Actually... this auction benefitted CAFF.... Children Affected by AIDS Foundation.  Donna was referencing a different auction whose proceeds went to the Katrina survivors.

http://www.caaf4kids.org/

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Mmm, oops, misspoke there.  Mea culpa.  EITHER makes a wonderful charitable donation, though.  Thanks for clarifying.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Kim,
     Thanks for the link to the auction site - it was really cool to see the final results and what a wonderful fundraiser for the Pediatric Aids Foundation.  Congratulations on the sale of your teddy and the response you have had from retailers - good for you!
                                              Hugs,

Brenda

LynBlair Posts: 139

Wow, it's odd to see what went for very high bids and the stuff that went for bargain basement prices.  I find it sort of sad that two manufactured dolls went for such a great amount of money, but many of the incredible true one of a kind pieces went for so little.   bear_sad

Yayyy for Kim, though!  Your little sweetie did great!  :clap:

Hugs,
Lyn

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Kim. that is soo cool!

Thanks for sharing that. I've never really seen anything like that before. Your bear was wonderfull and fetched a good price.

Seeing art like that sure makes me drool..........

Dilu Posts: 8,574

wow. took my breathe away.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

WOW!!!!  And for charity.  Bravo :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I literally fell out of my chair!

OurLostRose Florida Panhandle

Yikes!  We paid less than that for our house and 2 acres of land!!!  Of course that was back in 1978, but still...

As long as it's for charity...  Way to go R John Wright!   bear_flower

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Kim,

Many thanks for sharing the news regarding the IDEX auction.
Your little Bear was such a darling and how wonderful that you were able to make him for
such a great Charity.
Congratulations to you.

bear_original

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Congrats on your auction Kim bear_original  it must feel so good to do it for such a great cause and a great price too considering it was mainly dolls  bear_grin
Wow on that alice piece!!
Hugs Sarah

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

I went to IDEX this weekend and went to the auction.  The RJ Wright thing was fun to watch.  People were gasping when it went over $30,000, but then it went over $40,000.  It came down to an online bidder from New Jersey and a bidder in the room.  Everyone in the room kept encouraging the bidder in the room to keep going, who finally stopped bidding.  The online bidder got it.   IDEX was mostly dolls, but there were teddies there too.  I was excited when Kim's bear sold for a good price. 

I wrote an article about IDEX on my website.  Here's the link if you're interested:
http://www.iloveteddies.com/news_page/1138832740.php

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Chrissie,

How lucky that you were able to attend the Idex auction.
Thanks so much for your report that you wrote, regarding this.
What a fun time it must have been and such an incredible amount of money that was made
for a wonderful charity.

bear_original

Board footer