Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I started this little idea on another thread and my mind has been whirring round and round ever since.  I'd really like some input as I think it's been kind of lost elsewhere.

Okay, here goes.  I would really like to start a Teddy Bear Artists Society here on the west coast.  Is anyone interested?  I would be happy to host meetings once or twice a year in my home.  Perhaps even an annual retreat kind of thing. 

You know, we talk, talk, talk about different ideas and methods of doing things but it would be really great if we could share things in the "real".  Ideas such as the ACEO cards.  Everyone could bring supplies with them and we could share and create and trade!!

Am I nuts to even suggest such a thing?   bear_wacko   Maybe.  I have so much on my plate right now and a very special project at the end of the year but I'd really like to get something going.

Thinking longer term.....even advertising in some of the magazines as a group.  The possibilities of promoting teddy bear artistry are greater in a group.  Just look at what Teddy Talk is doing!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Matthea Ontario

I love the idea, but I'm in Canada  bear_sad

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi Aleta,

I would be very interested!!! Thats a great idea!!! Let me know how I could help.  bear_original 

Have you heard about "Portland Paws Teddy Goes Hollywood" ? I was invited to join and I was just going post a note on TT today to let other locally girls know, that may be interested. They meet 4 times a year and have there show in October.

Let me know if you interested in that group, or anyone else.

Big Hugs 
Kassity

Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi there Kassity,  bear_flower
Bless your heart!  I'm actually already a member of Portland Paws.  It's a terrific fundraising organization!!  The first meeting of the year is tomorrow.  It's a fun group of gals.  More collectors than artists show up at the meetings though which is disappointing.  I seem to be the only artist at the meetings lately.  The artists show up for the big convention though.......hmmmmm. 

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Oh that is so cool!!!! I will meet you........ :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I am going to try and come......

Big Hugs
Kassity

Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi there Erin,  bear_flower
I'm going to keep a list of names so if this idea goes somewhere (besides down the list on TT!) I'll let you know.  Thank you so very much for your interest!

Aleta

Dilu Posts: 8,574

And Chocolate!!!  No diets!!

I'm down close to Grant's Pass-I could possibly, hopefully do soething....where would you hold a retreat?

Anyways, what a huge undertaking.....let me know....I am interested....Maybe Winney is too, she is in White City, and there is a lot of us in California and One in Nevada.....it maybe could work  bear_wub

dilu

And maybe with enough advasnce notice some of the people farther away could come too?\

hmmmmm

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Count me in Aleta! I would be more than happy to help in any way I can.
Sonya

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Me too!  I'm swamped and dying here right now, but I'll do what I can to help.  If you want assistance with an eventual ad design or logo, I'm yours.

I'd love to see a guild or organization set up.

Have no clue how to do it, tho.

Thanks for offering and bringing it up!

I DO love the name!!!

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Aleta! What a wonderful and beautiful idea! Please count me in! I would sell my first born for plane tickets to come to the meetings! Haha. Maybe Garnet.....change is good!

Many Hugs Louise

I don't know what you have to do to set it upbut i would be happy to do letters for you, mailings,

And i would love to see Portland......I hear the Roses are great....and you know the Lincoln city show is usally in October.....if you were to have your initial meetings around the same time....

ouch

am I butting in?  I'm sorry

if you need help let me know....I love your idea....I would love to join

dilu

unless there is some criteria?  Like you have to have sold so many bears etc.....or be whatever?  What is the criteria....I don't have a clue!

hugs

clueless-in-the-forest.....being led around by the gollies

Deb Upstate New York

Aleta ~

If you search "Guild" ... I think there's an older post with some ideas ... I think.  bear_wacko

Deb Upstate New York
Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Love the name, Aleta.... TBAGS - Earl Grey or English Breakfast?

Please count me in if there is anything I can do to help as I think that a
Teddy Bear Artist Guild Society would be such a wonderful way of promoting the
Teddy Bear even more.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Deb Upstate New York
Carolyn Green wrote:

TBAGS - Earl Grey or English Breakfast?

You have to figure with this crowd it's got to be Camomile ... something calming ...  bear_grin  bear_tongue

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Me too, me too!!!   And I'm close by and visit Portland on a regular basis  bear_grin   bear_grin

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I would like to join but I am on the East in Pennsylvania

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Aleta, I think your idea is great and I love the TBAGS name. 

I might be putting my foot in it here...could the TBAGS notion extend further than artists from the west coast of the US??   I love your concept of an artist's "guild",in the way the primitive artists or the polymer artists have....and I love the concept of a regional group.  However I'm also conscious of the fact that some of the people on this board are way isolated in geographical terms - Norway, Belgium etc and have no hope of forming a guild with other like minded bear artists and then multiple guilds would defeat the notion of a central guild etc etc

Anyway - so my garbled thoughts are - could we use TBAGS and then have regional/worldwide membership????

Portland, Oregon
Website

Oh my!!  I'm overwhelmed, literally, after reading the link Deb posted.  Yikes!!  Deep breath here.  Okay then.  I'm going to approach this with BABY STEPS.  I'm not looking to set up a world association.  Not yet anyway.  Charters and lawyers and such......whew!  Perhaps I should find another "g" word besides guild that would fill out TBAGS!!

I had no idea that there was such a need for a guild/club/society.  My thoughts were first for teaching and learning, as in artists teaching and learning, from each other.  A meeting of the minds, a let's get together over coffee and see what we can achieve kind of thing and then go from there.  You know.....the whole Artist's Lounge thing that Shelli mentioned in another thread.   bear_original

I am more than willing to open my home and my pocketbook to get a group started.  I'm a put your money where your mouth is kind of gal.  I don't think I'm quite ready to take over the world......just yet.  Maybe if I win the lottery!!!

BABY STEPS though.  Let me look at my calendar and see when I can squeeze a meeting in.  I'm thinking sometime in May perhaps.  If I can coordinate a meeting in October with the Lincoln City Show that would be great.  Also, I'm thinking of doing a show in San Jose in July so maybe I can eek out some time there as well.

In the meantime, please keep posting on this topic.  Ideas are most welcome!!  I'm not so much into making a bunch of rules.  Rules are not meant for art.....at least in my book.   bear_original

Aleta

P.S.  Please keep in mind that I'm starting on the West Coast of the United States and Canada.....purely thinking of traveling distance to meetings and such and not meaning to shut anyone out. 

P.S.S.  Is there anyone on the East Coast, Midwest States or European countries willing to start something there?

Portland, Oregon
Website

Dear Clueless in the Forest being led by Gollies,
You are not butting in!!  I appreciate your straight forward approach and your willingness to step up.  Thank you so very much!!  bear_wub

To Deb,
Thank you for the postings.  You've opened my eyes a bit wider than I thought was possible!!   bear_original   I think Peppermint Tea is in order.  It calms the stomach.....and boy do I have butterflies about now.  It also makes the breath sweeter which is always a good thing!   :thumbsup:

Oh!  One more thing.  There will be chocolate!!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub 

Aleta

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

TBAGS -- Teddy Bear and Golly Society??? (Dilu will love this idea.)

:)

That eliminates the "guild" concept.  I didn't reread the entire thread Deb posted but I remember it in theory.  Was there a problem brought up with using the word "guild", per se?

If nothing has ever been done in the bear world maybe you could look into what the quilters have done....

bearing in mind that they're kinda persnickity....

what with their anal retentive obsessive compulsive need to have exact quilt blocks

and 1/4 inch seams,

and no loose threads on the back side cuz it'll show through,

and using only cotton thread cuz polyester can cut through the cotton threads of the block

and usuing acid fast storage tissues and

wait a minute.....oops.....I used to be a quilter till I woke up and discovered the real world here.......

:redface:

dilu

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Aleta,
I can't remember if I posted in the other thread or not, but you are on the right track as far as I am concerned.  There are a group of us here in northern California that meet once a year for a bear weekend.  We try to learn something new each year.  This last one was needlefelting.  I think it is as much the being together and sharing as it is the learning something new.  I know at the end of the weekend I am so wound up and ready to tackle any job the bear world sends my way.  I feel bear people are very special and have a lot to offer each other. 
If you have a meeting around Lincoln City weekend, I will plan to come.
Donna

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Well, I'm here in the Midwest and would love to join something like this...but I don't know about "starting one."  bear_shocked

Board footer