Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi everyone,

It has come to my attention that my pictures of my bears are very dark, not clear etc.  bear_sad
I don’t see that on my computer. I am a graphical 3d artist as well, so I am working on my graphical enhanced computer and that maybe part of the problem. Not sure yet?

I have read a lot of very good information on TT about picture taking and editing; lighting etc. I am going to shop for a new digital camera, because I believe this maybe were the problem truly lies. I would really appreciate your input on this. I am thinking of getting a digital camera with a 5.1-megapixel resolution. Rather than an 8-megapixel resolution – very pricy!
My question is. What camera do you use? What would you recommend?
Clear resolution is most important to me at this time. Price is also a concern; I would like to keep it reasonable. A large internal memory is a plus, but not a real focus at this time.
Thank you all for help.

Hugs Kassity  :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Mine is a Samsung  Digimax 530 - 5.0 mega pixels - it has a macro setting, white balance... it also has a timer and you can video/sound record.  It has an internal memory and amount of pics depend on how many pixels you want to use.. (I dont use a memory card)....

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Kassie, I just bought a new camera a while ago because I learned my Sony did not have the right resolution.
I bought a Fuji and so far am very pleased with it.  The only problem I have found is that the shutter button is so flat witht he camera, it is hard to press and causes you to move the camera a bit.
The color that this camera takes is so superior to any that I have seen.  It takes a VERY true color.
When I was shopping for this camera, I was tempted to buy a very high mega-pixel.  There was another customer standing next to me and listening to the sales pitch I was receiving.  He said, right in front of the camera clerk...you don't want to buy anything higher than a 5.1 mega-pixel because (and I wish I could remember exactly the term he used) but in essence...there is something internal in the cameras that has not caught up with the mega-pixels they are putting in the cameras and it causes it to work improperly.
The clerk, sheepishly said...WELLLLLL, that is true, but the camera companies are working on that.

So, take it for what it is worth.  You might do some checking on the internet before you buy a high mega-pixel to see what the chatter is about them.

I am very happy with my Fuji...the Sony never even came close to taking the true color the Fuji takes.  Quality wise they are equal.  I paid 500.00 for the Sony in 2000...149.00 for the Fuji in 2005.

Hope this helps...it is just my experiences.  Perhaps others will pop on and tell you theirs and you will have a more informed decision to make. 
I know this camera shopping can be pretty hair raising and I was so glad that man jumped in to help me.  He was telling me things, I had NO idea whatsoever, what he was talking about.

Nancy

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Kassity
I have a Canon A70 3.2 mega pixel camera and I am very pleased with it. It has the white balance, a zoom lens ( up to 10X) macro setting and up to 5 shooting modes along with various other features. I use it with a tripod when photographing my bears
Hugs
Gail

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Kassity, I'm using my FUJI F810 with 6.3 mega pixels for a year already. And I'm very pleased with the results.  bear_wub It has all needed options and most of them I don't even use.. bear_whistle

Julia  :hug:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I have a Kodak Easyshare 7590 - my husband bought it for me at Xmas 2004.  It's a 5 megapixel camera and I can't see the point in having one with any more than that.   Hubby did a lot of research to find a camera that would have all the features I needed but was still easy to understand.  I like it a lot, but there software is lacking a bit.  I have changed to Corel Photo Album and it's much better.  I do find the camera takes great pics and my sister was impressed with it, and she does photography for a business.

Hugs,

Brenda

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I have a Nikon D70s...it is a digital SLR...so it's more like 'real camera'...as I am an old dinosaur when it comes to cameras!!! It is easy to use and I am finding that the light is easy to control...it was pricey though...but since it's my only real investment...and the door to my shop window...I thought it was worth it.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Jenny, I love your camera.    My sister has a Digital/SLR camera and it's amazing.  She also has a fabulous printer that uses dyes instead of inks and will print museum quality prints.  It's amazing what equiptment is available now.   I'm very happy with my camera as I'm not very knowledgable, but I'm improving all the time. I've decided I want to take a Photoshop course when we move, to improve my computer skills with photography.

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I love my fuji F10 6.3mp. It has a white balance funtion and macro, which I think are important for photographing bears. I upgraded to this camera just a few months ago from an older fuji finepix (MX2700 2.3mp). Both cameras have excellent resolution and true colour.

I suggest you read a few reviews on the many camera sites around the web. That's how I decided that it was another fuji camera for me!!!

Have fun!!!

Deb Upstate New York
Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I've got a canon powershot a75 3.2 pixels. For colour you need white balance and macro is a must too. The other tip off Shelli was if you don't print much, everything (I think) is viewed in 72 pixels per inch on the monitor so high pixels isn't the priority. Being able to set things like aperture when you manage to read all the manual is good. The biggest thing for me was the white balance, macro and a homemade light tent. Still I could do with a tripod instead of books  bear_whistle

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I use a Kodak Easyshare Z740 with 5.0 mega pixels that I got for Christmas.  It really like it. It's not really an SLR but has the ability to manually adjust the aperature and shutter settings, or use the auto features.

As everyone said, you need macro and white balance.   My old camera was only 2.0 mega pixels and that worked great for pictures too until I dropped it  bear_wacko   I agree that you don't need a lot of megapixels if you are only posting pictures on the computer.  Just buy the best camera you can afford, test it out at home with your bears and return it if you aren't happy.  A tripod is a good investment too.

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Thank everyone, 

I have done many of your suggestions already. Thank you. I find these days selecting a camera is a little overwhelming, so many choices.   bear_wacko  - word of mouth and personal experience you offer is very helpful. 
I will check out you camera suggestions -  bear_original thank you

Hugs
Kassity

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I think word of mouth is the best advice especially for taking bear pictures.... Winney

Board footer