Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I'm working on my swap bear, and I'm trying to use the Kool Aide dying technique that Nancy Tillberg suggests in her "101 Bears To Make".  The process is simple enough...my question is, what 'flavor' gets you a lovely emerald shade of green?  I tried something called Artic Apple...and ended up with yummy, apply smelling samples, but the green on them is so muted.  It looks like they're growing moss, and a funky version at that!! 

Out of desperation, I tried just buying food colouring.  I got a gorgeous, deep emerald colour on my samples then....but then it rinsed right down the drain leaving me with the funky moss coloured samples again  bear_cry   Gosh that was frustrating!

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Hi Debbie,  bear_flower
My suggestion would be to try Kool Aid Berry Blue and Kool Aid Lemonade mixed together.  I've done samples of each separately and they're vibrant and beautiful.  Since yellow and blue make green......hopefully it will work for you.  The best thing to do is to take a 2x2 square and test it.  The longer you leave the mohair in the Kool Aid the more vibrant the color becomes.  And I do mean vibrant.

Good Luck!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I used lemon lime....don't have to add vinegar cuz koolade has acidic acid already....gave me a lovely springy green.....then you have to decide how long to leave your fabric in....test test test.....with small scraps of fabric.

dilu

PS i wish you lived closer....last summer I bought all the colors of koolade and all that the store had.....I've got the stuff coming out my ears.....mix and match and don't get frustrated....remember, my dear, you are playing!  :dance:

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Ahhhhhh , now I am even ,more excited to get my swap bear Deb !  I can't wait to see it and I don't care if it is swamp green that looks mold either.  I've been planning to try this technique so now I can wait and see/smell my lovery bear.  Doing a happy dance here !!!!!! 

I am planning your bear still.  Probably will start on it next week.   Good luck with the dye  :hug:

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

I have no idea what kool aide is so I had a search I still dont know but foun a site with a colour chart showing what each flavour produces. Is it a fizzy drink or something. take a look to see colour chart
http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolai … chart.html

ScottBear scott's bears

I have to tell you that when I had the bear shop open and had a artist that did a seres of  bears that had been dyed with cool aid  I loved the colors ! and the feel very soft to the touch and the collectors loved to hear the cool aid dyed skill was use and again the colors were very sharp and striking
BearHugs
Scott

:hug: I knew I could count on you gals!!  You're all so clever!!  bear_thumb

Scott, even though I wasn't keen on my colour, I have to say I ADORE the apple smell!   And yes, the mohair is still very, very soft as though nothing had ever been done to it.

:hug:  Tammy, I'm so happy you're excited about your bear!  bear_grin I'm still very much in my planning stages, so I'm just experimenting right now with mohair samples...thank heavens!  I don't think I want to send you a bear made from artic green!  bear_grin

Estelle Kool Aide is a drink mix that makes up 'fruit juice' type drinks....like lemonade packets.  I think you might have something simliar in the UK called Squash??  Kool Aide isn't fizzy, but your colour chart helped a treat ~ thank you!  bear_thumb

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

thanks Debbie I was intrigued I shall now try to find something of the kind here, I loved the colours I hope I am lucky  bear_original

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Speaking of Fizzy....does any one remember Fizzies?  probably not.  They were really great though....I loved the root beer flafor....on my tongue.....no wonder my tummy burned out!

bear_wacko

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Dilu wrote:

Speaking of Fizzy....does any one remember Fizzies?  probably not.  They were really great though....I loved the root beer flafor....on my tongue.....no wonder my tummy burned out!

:wacko:

I do and those weird Pop Rocks!

bear_smile Now the question remains....can you dye mohair with it?!  bear_smile

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

I mixed colors of kool aid & added food coloring for a stronger
effect. I did use vinegar, even with the kool aid. kool aid or
food coloring + vinegar will dye protein fibers like wool, mohair,
or silk, but will not dye plant fibers like cotton. so your mohair
will take the dye but the fabric backing will not. I have heard
that the colors will work on cotton if you add salt, but I have
not tried it.

I used it to dye wool for needle felting. Here is the wool used on
a bear in the original wool color of brown mixed with silvery white:
46835328_506391a7fe.jpg?v=0

Here is the same wool after dyeing with the kool aid to get it more
rich orangey-brown:

49864153_4400367139.jpg?v=0

sorry for the hijack - I just think dyeing over other colors is fun  bear_grin

Hijack away!!!  I think its SO neat to see the before and after pics...the change is amazing!  bear_shocked

I went ahead and posted my 'kool aide findings' in another thread

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Debbie
I believe Daphne gave this link a short time ago www.ritdye.com. If you go to the site you can print off 5 sheets that will tell you what colours and how much of each to mix be it the powder or the liqiud form There are several greens there It is not Kool Aid but might work for you
Hugs
Gail :pray:  :pray:  :pray:

Board footer