Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

LynBlair Posts: 139

I love traditional bears, whether distressed or not.  I love Rita Diesling's Ridibears as well as Diane's Wee Scones in the distressed category.  Aleta's Silly bears are to die for when it comes to beautiful traditional bears.

I also love funky, whimsical style bears.  Both Karen Drayne's and Jen Murphy's work inspire me endlessly.

I'm very much in awe of those blurring the line between bear artistry and fine art like our own Judi and R. John Wright, as well!

What styles and artists particularly inspire you?

Hugs,
Lyn

Edited to add that I'm referring to artists and styles that inspire your own work.  My taste in bears I'd like to own is all over the map in regard to both artist and style.  bear_wub

ScottBear scott's bears

JUDI PAUL's work is just the best we have going in the bearworld ...Proportions and style and finnished to the highest artistic vaule anyone could find...
SCOTT

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Quite a few....
Michelle Lamb
Mary Holstad
Nancy Sholtey
Judi Paul

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

I love & admire every artist's bears & I love every bear listed on Ebay- I would adopt 'em all if I had the money & the room. But there are a few artist that inspired me to get involved in the wonderful world of bear making.- Booh Bears- Pot Belly Bears- Hucklebeary Patch - Hibernation Station- One & Only Bears.
I have to say Janice Woodard of Booh Bears, helped me every step of the way. I'm so grateful for her friendship & all the time she put into answering all my questions. I'm also grateful for Teddy Talk- all of you have been a such a great support. A huge Thank You to every one.  bear_grin

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Many Artists inspire me..... But few offer genuine incouragement.   When you find someone that inspires and supports your dreams you have found a real friend.  Thankyou to all of you wonderful people who do both of these for me! :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

The artist who is just starting out and keeps trying and trying to improve her work inspires me so much....  I love the enthusiasm and the childlike wonder that fills the new artist, I love the love they pour into their work.  I believe their work should be sincerly appreciated for this reason.  I believe that everyone can improve and everyone needs the support of others to continue to improve.

Then the artist who is a true pro but is still humble and continues to strive to do better, and keeps some of that childlike wonder that he or she had as a beginner.  They inspire me.

I dearly love several of the artists here, as good friends, and I also love their work.  I am not sure if I love their work because of the personality they impart to their work or if I am being a little anthropomorphic.  But, knowning the artist makes me treasure their work so much more!

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

There are many artists whose work I truly admire, but I am very awe-inspired when I look at Tammy Hendricks' dogs and bears.  This wonderful lady was born with only one hand and she makes the most fantastic creations!  We've been at many of the same shows, and it is just amazing to see her set up her display table.  Of course, she has plenty of offers to help, but she is totally capable of just about anything.  She is usually at the shows by herself, so what she does is even more incredible.  A lovely and extremely talented artist!

:doh:   I think I didn't explain myself very well.  I didn't mean this to be a "Which bears do you like best?" or "Who's the best artist?" sort of thing.  I was kind of interested from an artistic style and design point of view.  I'm so sorry if it sounded like it was a popularity contest!  :redface:  There are way too many different styles, great artists and differing tastes to make that even remotely possible anyway, which is a wonderful.  :hug:

Hugs,
Lyn

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Well, I am like you, Lyn - I love treadtional bears, especially antique ones that have that loved, worn look  but I'll never be able to own one.  I thnk that draws me to the bear artists who make bears in that style.  My favourites are Forget-Me-Not bears because I think they are the artists that have been able to capture the essence of an old , loved teddy and I am constantly inspired to keep trying to get it right.   I also love WeeScones and by our very own Diane, and Aleta's Silly Bears.   Since I'm a mini artist, I have to say that Elizabeth Leggat has inspired me to try and make the perfect traditional mini, as she has managed to capture the look and feel of the old Steiff minis. 
                                                          Hugs,

Brenda

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado
SueAnn wrote:

There are many artists whose work I truly admire, but I am very awe-inspired when I look at Tammy Hendricks' dogs and bears.  This wonderful lady was born with only one hand and she makes the most fantastic creations!  so what she does is even more incredible.  !

I agree with you about Tammy Hendricks very talented and with only one hand, bless her heart! She is truly gifted!
And I love all of Judi's creations, Shelli's and I adore Mary Holstads dogs!
There is so much talent out there and to think we have some of the best right
here on the TT board  bear_grin

nettie scotland
Website

I am so touched that I got a mention in this thread.
Like Brenda I have to say I am inspired by Forget me not bears.Unlike most of you I don't collect bears or ever buy any but I would love one of them.(if I could afford it)They are the closest to antique bears around.
Elizabeth leggat is a friend of mine and she owns two steiffs from about 1910.One is cinnamony brown and so beautiful.After handling him I was amazed at how like him the forget me not bears are.They look and feel very authentic.
My ambition is to make one as good as that.
I can admire and be inspired almost every day looking through teddy talk .There is such diversity and you all have different skills.It does help to keep me going.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Well I am blushing here...and beaming at the same time reading these posts. :hug:  :hug:  :hug: I am humbled and honored to be mentioned. :hug:   It's people you you on the board that truely inspire me to pour my heart and soul into my work.  Kind words, praise, encouragement...all of this and more.

What I love to see in an artist's work is thier own soul and originality.  When you love your work, it shows and people on this board really love what they do.  That's why I think people look like thier bears.  A part of thier soul is captured and love leaves and impression.

We all have something to teach and we all have something to learn.

Well, I'm going to have a great day!!!! :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I am inspired by talent artists have...

But right now I'm even more inspired by the artists who are cranking out bears faster than I am!! Which is just about everyone! When I see MORE new bears on the Sale page by folks who just posted new bears there it's just the kick in the pants I need to get sewing faster!!!  bear_grin

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I'm inspired by the likes of Clare Davis Tedds - she produces fabulous bears that are soooo gorgeous to hold, one of those artists that the pics don't do justice to.....and Amanda, who was my swap partner in the last TT swap. Until you hold another artists work in your arms you don't fully realise just how good their work is.

Judi Paul obviously has a handle on bear making that some other bear artists will never achieve and i include myself in here too. Her attention to detail is superior in a way that R.John Wright will never know. Where R.John Wright produces the most wonderful copies of literary works such as his Alice in Wonderland/Beatrix Potter pieces - someone else has already done the work for him because he copies the old illustrations and everyone can copy can't they?

For me Judi Paul is the best bear artist around at the moment because she copies no-one and nothing (is that good grammar?) yet still embraces the original bear 'ethos' - which to me is, you want to pick the bear up and hug it, not keep it in a display case.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

WELL SAID, PENNY!!!

I am inspired by Judi, Kim B. and Shelli... I am also inspired by you gals who try so hard (like myself) and try to better techniques bear_original 

I agree, Penny, Clare's bears are wonderful, so much better in person!!! I am so glad I won Cassie bear_original  I am also inspired by artists that urge me to keep doing what I am doing (Thank you Kim W.!)

Judi Paul obviously has a handle on bear making that some other bear artists will never achieve and i include myself in here too. Her attention to detail is superior in a way that R.John Wright will never know. Where R.John Wright produces the most wonderful copies of literary works such as his Alice in Wonderland/Beatrix Potter pieces - someone else has already done the work for him because he copies the old illustrations and everyone can copy can't they?

For me Judi Paul is the best bear artist around at the moment because she copies no-one and nothing (is that good grammar?) yet still embraces the original bear 'ethos' - which is to me is, you want to pick the bear up and hug it, not keep it in a display case.

:clap:  Amen, sister!

Inspired hugs,
Lyn

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello Lyn !
I am Inspired by many of great artists and bear creators, most of them are
TT members. bear_flower   I feel very lucky to be TT member .  :D

I love any type of bears, classic, modern, realistic, anime, mini bear..etc
and I'm trying to find out my own style now.  :P

I admire Tammy Hendricks' s bear & dogs too!  Did you see her new bear ?
She started making felted face bear which is so adorable !!
Her dogs are die for !!  bear_wub

Hugs/Marie

clare14 Country Bears
England

Awww Penny and Kim, thank you  :hug:

I am constantly inspired by the talent on this board - it's amazing what we can do!!!  bear_wub

I have always loved the styles of Portobello bears, Paula Strethill-Smith (Shultz bears) and Elizabeth Leggat.   When I see their bears, I always need to make a bear - NOW!!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Oh my..I had no idea that some of you felt this way about my work.  I am flattered beyond words right now.   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
There is so much talent on this board and I think many of you don't realize just how talented you are.
Penny, You are a goddess with needle felting  and Kimmy you too have come so far in such a short time.  It would be hard to mention every name who has touched me...there are a lot!  I look at the bears for sale and the showcase and am in awe at the creativity that is there...I wish I had a ton of money so I could scoop them up and bring them home.

I have learned so much from so many artists here.  Bless your hearts bear_innocent  bear_wub

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Lyn and Brenda,  bear_flower  bear_flower
Kind words touch my heart.  Thank you so very much for thinking of me.   bear_wub  I am deeply honored to have been mentioned.  Golly darn gee whiz you've gone and made me blush. :redface:   

Artistically speaking, my inspiration doesn't come from other artists.  Of course, there are artists whose work I greatly admire and collect!  But, as far as inspiration goes, I'm inspired by lovely old timeworn things like antique children's wear, silk ribbon, lace, velvet flowers, old books, toys and trinkets.  These are things I surround myself with in my studio.  They inspire me everyday.  Perhaps I'll post a picture sometime and you'll see what I mean.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I have to say that Mary Holstad and Donna Hager were the inspiration for me when starting out. I love, love, love thier sweet innocent faces. And I also love the vintage styles of Terry John Woods and Whendy's Bears.  I think my bears exhibit a mix of both vintage and innocence.
Sonya

Board footer