Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Sandra Mayer Posts: 6

Hi Guys!  Another question!:rolleyes:  For all of you that ship overseas:  do you ever "adjust" your customs values for customers that ask you to?  I have a German eBayer who is requesting $0 insurance, and for me to state value under $50 as a gift.  States she has never has any problems with loss, perfect eBay feedback, wants to use Paypal, which is OK.  I'm just afraid that if the bear is lost or damaged, she can get her money back through Paypal, I'm out the bear, cash, and a chargeback fee, not to mention commiting customs fraud.  What to do???:/:/:/  Please advise.  Thanks, Sandy

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I know there are a lot of people who manipulate the info on customs forms (and not a few international buyers who insist on it to prevent them from paying tariffs on the package's arrival), however it IS a no-no.  In the future, you may want to add to the text of all of your auctions that you will only fill out customs forms with the correct values, as merchandise and for a $ amount equal to the auction's end price.  That may eliminate problems in the future.  If you fully intend to ship this first bear with accurate customs information, then by all means do so.  You can tell your buyer that it is your policy to fill in customs forms only with accurate information, and that you will be adding this information to all new auction listings, so that it is not in question in the future.

Hope this helps!
Kelly

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

VERY well said, Kelly!  I agree wholeheartedly!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I know very little about this customs stuff.  does anyone know where I can read up on it?

Dilu

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Dilu, you can go to the USPS web site and search for 'customs' to get some information.  Unfortunately, there seems to be no one place where all of the information is spelled out clearly.  In my experience, the rules are so confusing that enforcement even differs between post offices, as even THEY aren't too sure about some of it.  Here are some tips I can give you though...

Basically, if you're shipping through the USPS, there are 2 different customs forms to choose from.  Currently, one is small and green, the other is large and white.  Which one you need to use depends on about 50 million variables.  Generally, if you need to insure the item, use the white form.   If the item is on the expensive side, use the white form (can't remember the cutoff value, $50 sticks in my head but it may be more than that). 

My other bit of advice for international mailing is to not overlook Airmail Letter Post as a shipping option.  It is not, as many assume, just for letters!  I think this is possibly the best kept secret in shipping items internationally bear_laugh  Packages that weigh 4.0 lbs and under qualify for this rate.  This gives you service comparable to Global Priority Mail at a lesser cost.  I think average delivery time for Airmail Letter Post is 4-7 days, and I have found it to be VERY reliable whereas I have had problems in the past with global priority.  Just my $0.02 anyway, hope it helps someone!

Cheers,
Kelly

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I generally adopt whatever custom is suitable for the country that i'm in

Wearing kimono's in Japan - eating spaghetti in Italy - dancing on my hat in Mexico etc etc

hee hee hee

PennyPoodles

Sorry, could'nt resist it girls

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

this was a dilemma in my head - when i start selling on ebay, i am not sure that i will ship to outter countries... maybe after i get my foot in the door and am recognized for my work... maybe in the future i will change that though, you never know!

Board footer