Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hello Everyone,
                         Just wondered if anyone has used glass claws, I just wondered what would be the best way to attach them to the paws, as this is going to be my first attempt at using them,any help will be appreciated. I have never used them before.

Thankful Hugs Rita xxxx

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Hi Rita
I have used them. The trick to using them I learned from Susan Arnot. After sewing your paw pads in place, turn the foot/paw right side out. Close to the seam line, lightly mark where you want the claws. Use an awl to poke a hole for each location. You might want to fray check the hole at this point.  Turn the foot/paw inside out again and insert the claw into the hole so that the claw is pointing towards the pad. Stitch it in place by sewing it to the seam allowance on the inside. At this point I also add a tiny drop of fabri-tac glue to the end securing it more firmly to the seam allowance. Continue with all of the claws then turn right side out again. Your claws will stay in place and will not twist or turn either.
Sonya

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH what a great way of doing it!

I have been given some lovely glass claws and have been scratching my noodle trying to think of the best way to attach them.

Thanks Sonya  bear_thumb   bear_wub

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Sonya,
                I cannot thank-You enough for such a clearly detailed method of affixing the claws, I forgot to ask ,how many claws per foot or would it be the size of the foot that will determine this????.  Greatly appreciated .. Big Hugs Rita xxx

Hi Penny,
                I bought these to attach to my Polar Bears and tried to fathom out a way to put them on .  Hope this solved your problem too.   Hugs Rita xxx

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Yes, what a great way to do it Rita - and i agree, what a superbly simple explanation it is.
Even i can understood it - first time!!!  bear_tongue   :dance:

Penny  :hug:

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

You guys are very welcome! I usually put 5 in for each, but I make rather large bears. The beauty of doing it this way is that you can push the claw thru most of the way for larger bears and if you remember to maybe add a little extra seam allowance when cutting out the pattern, you can actually only poke a little bit of the claw thru on smaller bears by sewing it further back on the seam allowance. Hope that part made sense
Sonya

Board footer