Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

OK, I know there have to be some rules of thumb out there on wholesale pricing for bears, for example if supplying a bear to a store or gallery.  However, I think they were discussed on another board, and it's not working again.  Anyone have any thoughts or experience on the subject?  I know the pricing will be less than selling directly to the collectors, but is there some sort of standard percentage less?  I'm clueless :)

Thanks in advance,
Kelly

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Kelly.  My percentage for wholesaling is 65/35.  I know some artists who go 70/30.  Think it is what you are comfortable with.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hi Kelly. I have had some experience in this. 7 years ago I had a bear shop near to where I live. The standard mark up on Steiff, gund etc. was 100%. You just doubled what you paid for your bears.
Artist bears... well thats when it gets tricky. Some artists just were not prepared to reduce them much (fair enough!). I just couldn't afford to buy them and put a good enough mark up on them.  Sue Ann seems to have got it about right. The other thing is to make them more exclusive for the shops etc. Then if they have to put more of a mark up on, the collectors will be willing to pay a bit more than you usually charge.
I also made bears for wholesale. I offered 50/50. I did sell plenty of bears to shops though! I considered them to be my 'bread and butter'. They kept me going through lean times.  Hope this helps!

Board footer