Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Earlier in the week I took my youngest son, Taylor, in to get his haircut much to his dismay.  He's into the long hair look right now and has beautiful thick curly hair.  The girl who cuts his hair cut off between 5 - 7 inches of hair and it's still pretty long.  We were chatting and she said that he should let his hair grow through the summer and cut it right before football season and as fast as his hair grows he could easily have enough to donate to Locks of Love (10 inches in a ponytail).   So I'm thinking I'd like to do the same thing with him.  My hair is already getting pretty long so it wouldn't take much for me to have the necessary 10 inches.

Has anyone else ever done this?

Shantell

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

No, I wish I would have when my hair was long and then chopped it all off... I think that would be a wonderful thing to do!

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

I knew a mother /daugther that went and did it. It is quite honorable. You donate your hair for wigs for people going thru Chemo and such. Very nice thing to do. Plus you end up with a super new hairdo to boot.
Kathy

Willamette Valley Oregon

The only draw back is by the time Taylor were to get his haircut again he might look like Cousin It from the Addams Family which is frightening.

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Hi Shantell....Funny you should ask....I just donated 13 inches of my own hair to Locks of Love last month!

I stopped cutting my hair after the birth of my daughter. Well, that was 18 years ago. I am told by my collectors at TB shows that I was always easy to find because I was the lady with the long hair wearing a hat.

Well, my hair was well below my waistline and I was planning on trimming it a little so I researched Locks of Love and found out that they needed at least 10 inches. I measured my hair and that would have brought my length to about the middle of my back...I could do that. So I called around to find a Stylist who specialized in long hair. I told her to cut off just 10 inches for Locks of Love. Well, she carefully measured 10 inches, wrapped a rubber band at that point and then cut off 3 inches above. Then she layered my hair (there went a few more inches). My final length is now just below my shoulders. This cost me $60. It was a bit of a shock. But I have a sense of humor  bear_grin  and my hair went to a good cause. My hair used grow fast (when I was younger). I plan on letting it grow again but in another 18 years my hair will probably be all grey and Locks of Love won't want it. In the meantime I'm learning how to use rollers and curling irons and my daughter finds it amusing to see her old mom struggle with such basic items. And my trademark in no longer a hat but it is now a flower behind my ear. The other good thing is that my head feels about 10 pounds lighter.

bear_grin  Kathy Myers

I almost forgot my point: If you donate your hair, bring along a friend who can watch what the Stylist is doing behind your back.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

My daughter and husband both donated hair to Locks for Love.  His had some grey in it but I understood that they will accept grey hair but they actually sell it to raise money.

Jane

Willamette Valley Oregon

I almost forgot my point: If you donate your hair, bring along a friend who can watch what the Stylist is doing behind your back.

Oh...I've gone to the same person for almost 20 years and I won't let anyone else touch my hair.  I made that mistake once and had to go back to Georgia to fix it.  How humbling an experience that was...   bear_grin

I haven't even decided if I am going to yet.  I'm kind of wanting my son to because his hair is so wonderfully thick and curly...they could get two wigs out of his.   bear_wub

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I donate hair to locks of love, every 4 or 5 years. My hair grows really fast. So I like to let it grow, and get it chpped off pretty short. That way My hair is always changing.
It feels good that there is something I can donate.

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

I am going to try that too.

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Shantell,  I've never done it but it sounds like such a nice thing to do.  I know someone who did and she was happy she did.

Matthea Ontario

I did it! Do it, hair always grows back. I had pretty long hair, then I shaved it into a mohawk. I'm planning on doing it again once I finally grow my hair out again.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

http://www.locksoflove.org/  Here is the link to Locks of Love

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

I did it once. I had forgotten until I saw your post. It is such a worthy cause. I think I will do it again too.

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

My daughter sent 10 inches to locks of love also...she was so happy to help and saw on Oprah, how wonderful the wigs look and the feeling the confidence these precious children get back from looking good again.  So sad...but how wonderful all of you gals have donated.  They must get a wonderful response...look at how many here, have donated.

Nanc

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

My 5 year old niece had her beautiful long curly chestnut hair cut last summer and donated to Locks of Love. Her Mom told her about the organization and Rachel insisted that her hair had to be cut right there and then! I was so proud of her.

Marion

Board footer