Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi all.

Here's a new one on me.

I got the following message... and sent the following response, which I had attached to my current auction, so everyone could see why what happens next, occurred.

Did I do this "right?"

I've never had to deal with this before.

I believe it's true that if the bidder has control of his account, it's his job, if he wants "out" of an auction, to RETRACT his own bid.  And, as a seller, I'd prefer not to BLOCK or CANCEL bids, in case that reflects poorly on ME.

However... I'm not 100% confident I sent back the "right" response.

Any thoughts, from those of you who know eBay's rules and guidelines perhaps better than I do?

Also... if I do end up having to CANCEL this gentleman's bid... How do I do that???  I can figure it out, but if you have a quick answer, you'll save me the work.

Here's what you'll find attached to POSY'S auction:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Q:     Hi, I just received an email confirming this bid but i did not place it. I think someone placed it under my account. I have changed passwords and contacted ebay but could you please retract the bid. Sorry for the confusion. Sam.
    Feb-20-06

A:     Hi Sam, I understand your situation, and am sorry to hear you have to deal with this. Thanks for letting me know pro-actively. I appreciate your integrity. I do believe there's a way for me to CANCEL your bid, as a seller, although I've never done it before. I've been quite fortunate and have never been asked to, or had to, cancel a bid on one of my auctions, and so doing so is not part of my top-of-the-head knowledge base. However, there is no way for me to RETRACT your bid, placed from your account, for you. Since you've written that you still have control of, and access to, your account, I'm going to let you handle this on your end, as it's far more appropriate for you -- as the bidder on record who wants out of the auction -- to RETRACT your bid yourself, from your account, than it is for me to shut you out of an auction from my end, by cancelling or blocking your bids. That is something I've never done as a seller, to date, and I'd very much like to keep it that way. Thanks again for writing to let me know your situation; I'm especially glad to hear you were able to fix the situation, and got control of your account back!! Take care, Shelli

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

He might have just changed his mind but I think you wrote the right thing. How they go about it I don't know but  I would keep out of it if you can. I'll go have a look on ebay and see if I can find anything. Good luck!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

If you go on your ebay account and go to the HELP tab at the top and type in retracting bids it tells how they can go about it. There are rules and regs like, not when there is less than 12 hours left and other things but I'd leave him to it. You should have plenty of other bids and you wrote the right thing.

Matthea Ontario

Hmmm, sounds a little fishy.
You did the right thing! He should retract it, as t is no fault of yours that a bid was made. You are only allowed to retract under very strict circumstances. I believe having an account hijacked is one of those citcumstances. As a bidder retracting a bid, it will show up under your feedback so others can see you have retracted. I think you are only allowed to retract a small number of times in a year.
As a seller retracting a bid, it does not affect or show in your feedback. No one can tell unless they look at the exact auction and check the bid history.
I have cancelled bids in the past on people with a negitive feedback that bid, but didn't contact me first (I have requirements I list in my auctions).
Don't worry, I think you did the right thing.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I thought your response back to him was fine.  As mentioned above, it is better for him to retract his bid as opposed to you cancelling it.  I find it a wee bit hard to believe that someone would hijack an account just to bid on one teddy bear, but I guess anything is possible.  A bid retraction will show up in his profile, which is a good thing for future sellers to see just in case he is not quite on the level and this becomes a habit for him. 

Here are the links for both retractions and cancellations...

For him to retract his bid:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?RetractBidShow

For you to cancel his bid:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/manage_ … #canceling

Hope this helps!
Kelly

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Shelli... I PM'd you....

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Shelli, I haven't had this situation yet, but I think your reply was perfect.  It feel it is up to the bidder to retract the bid.  I don't know how it would reflect if you cancelled it ??  It does sound a little suspicious-you never know if his reason is legit or not .  I hope it works out for you.

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Shelli...on two of my recent bears I had bid retractions.  I have never, in all my years of selling, had this happen.  Each person said they entered the wrong amount.  I have no idea what happened, it just showed up.
This must be the new 'ebay thing' !!!!
nanc.........

Densteds Densteds
Website

Shelli, your reply was the right way to go, who knows if he's telling the truth...but there has been a lot of hijacked accounts lately so I suppose you have to give him the benefit of the doubt but let him retract the bid.

As a seller I cancelled a bid placed by some idiot with -2 feedback, I've also requested two bidders to retract their bids but this one was a real doozzzy
I had a woman email me wanting out because she said her "4" year old son had bid on a piece of vintage jewellery and she didn't know????????????????
A 4 year old kid gets on mum's computer puts in her password and of course what category would he go straight to....... vintage jewellery!!!!  bear_wacko  bear_wacko
what sort of idiot did she take me for??

Goodluck with your gorgeous ted!!!

hugs,
Denise.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

You definitely did the right thing Shelli.  bear_thumb

If a bidder retracts his bid it shows up on his feedback page so he was probably just trying to pull a fast one on you.

Penny :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I wouldn't cancel his bid.  I think other sellers need to be aware that he has this tendency - if it was an accident, Ebay will take care of it

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Thanks all, and also for your private messages.  I'm grateful for the validation.

My remaining concern is, as mentioned above... what if he chooses NOT to retract, but then simply breaks the contract and decides not to pay?  I'm going on the assumption that it was a hijacked account and an innocent mistake, but I don't want to be left holding the bag with fees, and no sale, and the red tape required to get that rectified, and the wait period on top of that. 

It's a holiday so hopefully within the next day or so he'll retract his own bid.

Thanks again for your input and help!  I'm grateful.  bear_wub

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Well, if he does win and doesnt pay, you can still do a second chance offer to the second bidder... you still have days left on him, right?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I do, and maybe someone will just swoop in and take the pressure and worry away from BOTH of us, by upping the bid. 

Any takers?

Cracking up here...

Thanks, Kim, for the reassurance.  You're a gem!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

If I could afford Posy, I would bid, especially since there is a piece of me with that little one, the paw pads bear_original 

I wouldnt worry, Shel, you have over 6 days left

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Shelli, I think you did the right thing, too   I have asked a seller to cancel a bid for me one time, as I was watching two of the seller's auctions and bid on the wrong one and there was under 12 hours left on the auction, so I couldn't do it myself.  I told her I would bid on the correct item ahead of her cancelling my bid, to show her my request was in good faith.  She was great and cancelled my original bid.  Funny thing is I didn't win the auction, but the winner backed out and I got it anyway.   Hope this all works out for you.

Hugs,

Brenda

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Takers!!! I would mortgage the farm!! I would sell my first born! I would cut off my right arm for a chance at this beautiful baby bear!!! Shelli!!! I am dying here!!! One day!! Yes one day!!!! bear_whistle  bear_whistle

Many Hugs Louise

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Wow, that's quite a vote of support; thanks Louise!  No first-born payments, though!  Giggling here...

I was just now notified by eBay that my high bidder did, indeed, retract his bid... and I went to check for myself, of course.  And all looks well.

It was interesting to me that when eBay sent me notification, they included the bidder's reason for retraction, which he did not list as "hijack," but rather, as "bid wrong amount."  With a big ol' price next to that explanation.

Anyway... all is well.

Thanks again for your well wishes, advice, and assistance. 

Big hugs,  :hug:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Whatever way it works out Shelli..I feel sure you did the right thing...and in any case the bid will go higher and he'll be out of the equation!!

I think people sometimes do silly things on ebay then regret it ...and the seller is the one to pick up the pieces. I this case I reckon it will all work out.

Board footer