Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

ellen ontario, canada
Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Really?  [INVALID]?  Wow... thanks!

I was going more for the "teddy bear glamour shot" portrait look.  But [INVALID] works!

I was also going for ... simpler, and easier to update and maintain.  And less colorful and "jarring" on the ol' eyeballs.

I appreciate your notice!  Thank you. bear_happy

ellen ontario, canada

:lol:
hope you took no offense...?  "[INVALID]" is the first thing that popped into my head when i visited.
everytime i visit your site (which can be 20 times per day because i am so in love with those darling bears!!) i wonder what surprise i will get when the front page loads!
ellen
p.s.... and your TBAI piece is unsurprisingly wonderful!  congrats.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

your website is gorgeous!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Shelli,I love your site!!How do you get the pictures collaged like that.I'm trying to redo my site and Jane has been so sweet to give me advice. I want some "Victorian" trims and what not and I 'm also having trouble resizing my photos.I took a front page and web design class but I'm still a bit lost.What I really want seems beyond my means and capabilities,sigh,same old story.
  Blessings,shari.

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

Shelli -

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jill

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I still don't have frontpage and still don't know a thing about html.  That's actually a problem for me as I'd like to learn it and the program I use has a lot of limitations.  Someday...

Quy, our tech guru, said something once that struck me; he explained to someone on the board that if the images used in web design are large but simply downsized by dragging the "handles" to fit the space, the original file size is unchanged and may load slowly. 

So this time around I kept that comment in mind, since I've been dissatisfied with how slowly, and piecemeal, my old site loaded.  I learn something new each time I redo it.

What I did was first to create a background template in PhotoShop.  This template includes the teddy bear border, the POTBELLY BEARS logo wording, the scalloped lacy edge, the scrollwork "paper" background, and all the beige-y edging surrounding those elements.

Then, I used that template as the "background" in a series of photographs I created in PhotoShop.  The photos are huge, extracted blow-ups of some of my bears.  I chose to include the text for each page on these photos, and to save the whole thing as an image (.jpg), but I could have also added the text separately and on top of each individual page photo.  This way if I want to change my text I have to change the page, which is an image, and from which the text cannot be extricated.  But that's okay; I like change and designed it in this way.

So what you see when you load my site is basically a series of huge, page-size photographs.

There are some elements superimposed upon the background photos.  For example, the entire menu bar was created in my web design program.  And the page buttons, Adopted, and Available buttons, as well as each individual link (they are image files, too)... plus, of course, all the "links" from one page or element to another... were created within the web design program itself.

I've gotten pretty handy with PhotoShop and can create some pretty backdrops, which can sometimes be the defining element of a website -- if you want it to be.  I did, and think it has a nice result.  I'm glad you like it too.

I admit, tho, I am a total hack.   It would be easier and more sophisticated to do these things in FrontPage if I could find/take the time to learn it.  But I just can't spare the energy for that right now.

Thank you all for admiring my work so publicly.   Major warm fuzzies!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

OH, and Shari... the collages are just existing photos of my bears which have been "extracted" from their original backgrounds -- that's what the function is called in PhotoShop but I'm certain most any photo editing software can do it.  Then I just arranged the photos on separate layers against the background I created, which I describe above, until I came up with a pleasing arrangement, and then flattened the entire image to reduce file size.  Each page of the ADOPTED area (1,2,3) is a large photo that has been collaged in this way and then flattened.  Meaning that I can't, at this point, shift around the bear photos.  I can add pages, or I can return to my original (unflattened) file and make changes, but as the site exists right now, it's very static.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Shelli,thanks so much for the tips:):):) I think what I am missing is a goof photo editing program.My pictures from my camera are huge and I cannot seem to make them smaller in my picture folder.I was able to resize my page with Jane's help and will be redoing my site as time allows.I liked my background so i found a way to keep it.I just need to redo my pictures and text.

I also wanted to send my heartfelt prayers to you and your beloved kitty.I lost my "Crispy" two weeks before  Christmas /03.She was very special as she was my second black cat(lost the first when I was about 7 or 8) and she had 26 toes.I swore I would not replace her because of the extreme grief that went with her loss but the kids would not be convinced and adopted a kitten from the animal shelter that January.She is totally white and was very shy and scared.I tried to stay aloof and let her get attached to the kids but it did not work and she made me her pet.I know this story does not help ease your pain but I will keep you and your treasured friend in my thoughts and prayers.Heartfelt hugs and blessings,I'll say a prayer to St.Jude for you.
Shari.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Shelli ,
I just want to say I love your website too  bear_laugh  !!!! 
I posted in other  area too, but I really fall in love with your website !
The color, design and of cause the
pics of bears are sooooo lovely....
I thought your previous website was super
cute but new one is extreme cute :lol::lol:

I said this in other post too but
I'm so glad that you are issuing the *BOOK*!!!! I can't wait to get it until
2006!? please tell me(if ok), is that gonna
be early in 2006 !? I'll start to count
days from now. he he

Hugs/Marie

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Great new site Shelli! I love all the pictures of your sweet faced bears, soooo cute! Great tips also, your really kind to help out, buy hey everyone here is really kind...my internet family is just wonderful.

Hip Hip Hurray for Teddy Talk!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jane

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Shelli,
                  I have justed paid a visit to your site,and it is amazing. Your bears are truly wonderful , I love the one on your front page with the harp ,she is just adorable. Time is hanging on my hands now and will be for a few months,but At least I can browse and take time to chat ,without feeling guilty. Like Jane said ,Teddy Talk Family is just so great, no words can say how I feel about  each and everyone of you. All Topics get an answer , and the great feeling of friendship is so strong, I need my fix now every day..  Take care of each other All of you.

Stronger Hugs Rita xxxxxxx

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Great that you are up and about more, Rita.  Super to have you back!! bear_laugh bear_laugh

Board footer