Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

My sister in-law just called me, they are the couple that we travel with most, and she said she wanted to take a trip to Antarctica.  My husband and her husband went a couple years ago and they are still talking about the trip.  But she wants me to go, she doesn't want to be the only female.  It's called an expedition cruise, on an icebreaker.  It would be in January, winter here - summer there.  Here is my only concern, I have RA and right now in this mild winter I have been stiff and sore since November and I won't want to slow anyone down.  The adventurer in me saying.....shut up and go, take extra medicine, you'll be fine.  My bones are saying it looks cold, brrrrrrr. 
Antarctica_iceberg_pointy2a_tn.jpg

The adventurer voice in my head is saying. Go, Go, Go, I am going to have to listen to it.  I will have to work real hard so I can afford a new camera to take with me.
Weddell_seal1_WEB.jpg
Who wouldn't want to miss this!!! Now I am excited!! 

Well, off to the hot tub, I am cold just talking about this.
Thanks for listening,
Joan

(yes this is the biggest post I have ever done)

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Dearest Joan,  bear_flower
The question is......Will you regret it if you don't go?  If you let RA stop you, it will.  Live your life, girl!  Consult your physician and see what kind of plan you can make ahead of time.  Life is so short....I'm reminded of that every day.  Dance like nobody's watching!

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

nettie scotland
Website

Oh go !!I would looks so inspiring!!!If you have the right clothes you will be fine I am sure.
Diane xxxx

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Joan the trip looks as if it is one not to miss. I fully understand how you feel concerned by your RA. Just as Aleta said consult your physician and see how he feels. I am sure that you will have a wonderful time if you do decide to go. Wrap yourself up warm, take your medications and have one heck of a good time. This is something not many of us will have the chance to do so if and when you do go please return to us with a full report and lots of wonderful pictures of your trip. Bon Voyage!

Hugs Jane  bear_thumb

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

That is one of my dream adventures. You must go and I know.......you will go bear_grin Have fun for me!!!! bear_thumb         
Matilda bear_whistle

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

YOU GOTTA GO !!!!!!

OR I'LL GO IN YOUR PLACE HA HA HA  bear_rolleyes

Penny  :hug:

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Joan, Having been to Antarctica myself...GO!!!! Do not hesitate. here is some information about the trip I took.

I was on a Russian Registered IceBreaker. The roughest part of the trip was crossing the Drake Passage (get the medications that go behind your ear, they work wonderfully) When we got to the Antarctic Pennisula, we had Zodiacs take us to shore to walk around. The expedition staff was wonderful....helping you in and out of the zodiacs as needed. The visits to shore were the best. You could take a tour with a group, walk by yourself (keep the seals between you and the water) or (as I did a few times) just sit in 1 spot and watch the penguins, seals and birds. If you get the chance to 'swim' on Deception Island, take it! The temperatures while I was there in 2001, January, was anywhere from 25 F. to 47 F. MUCH warmer than I expected, and I was a little disappointed that it wasn't colder. The poor penguins were having a rough time, especially the chicks who can't get in the water. The age group on ship with me was between 30 and 90! My travelling companion was 75 at the time, she had a blast, didn't neccessarily walk where I did, but she encouraged me to go when she didn't want to .

So, in my opinion, DO NOT let any health issues stop you, as long as your doctor says OK. My companion had knee replacement just before we went, so she was not quite as mobile as I was, but she didn't have too much trouble and was VERY glad she went. There are times when I can't sleep, I go back into my memory and watch the penguins walk, slide, run, swim.....and the birds swoop and dive.....a lot of fun, and very relaxing.

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

Thanks everyone for all your encouragement!  Aleta, you are right, I would reget it if I didn't go.  My husband wants to go and he thinks I will be fine.  Now I can't wait, I will take lots of pictures and give a full report when I get back.  It will be next winter, I've never looked forward to winter before.

Ellen, thanks for the info.  It sounds like you had a great trip. I can't wait to see the penguins, we watched the movie March of the Penguins.  I haven't met many people that have been to the Antarctic.  You must like to travel too.  Do you have a 'to do' list of places you want to go?  A couple places on my list would be Peru, (Machu Picchu) and Morocco...and.....and....it could go on and on.  What about everyone else.  If you have a dream trip, where would it be???? bear_original

Joan

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

Glad to hear that you decided to go Joan. As for my "to do" list: Antarctica again, Alaska, Ireland/Scotland, Denmark (my 'adopted' son is from there and his parents want us to visit) Australia............AND to CHINA to visit the Moon Bears and see Panda Bears in the wild.......plus all of the US and Canada that I haven't been to yet!

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Joan,

Can I come with you?  I'm glad you decided to go.  I would love to do that trip.  I know someone who went there and he said it was great.  Take tons of pictures so we can see.   bear_original

On my to do list: New Zealand, Australia, Japan, see the Northern lights, Antarctica, Alaska again (drive up to the Arctic circle; farthest north I got was Fairbanks), Iceland, etc.  My mom used to be a stewardess and has been to a lot of places so I have to catch up to her.   bear_original

Ellen, 

Sounds like that was a great trip.   bear_original

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

I wish I could bring everyone!!  I am glad I get to go with my sister-in-law, she is like my best friend.  She is ALOT of fun, sometimes we get in trouble.... sometimes she takes her brother (my husband) and they get in trouble.   We lost them in the London subway for hours one night, I think it may have been after the Pub visit. bear_innocent  bear_innocent
This will be a great adventure.....
I still have a wish list too.  We are trying to get all of the continents in.  I am still needing Australia and Africa, after this trip.
Joan

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Joan,
So glad that you decide to go !  :bday:
Like Aleta said, Life is really short...  bear_tongue

I just want to go with your wonderful trip and
meet your sweet sister-in-law.  bear_grin

Hugs/Marie

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Joan,
    I have two places I dream of going to - one is Vienna and the other is Ireland.  Vienna is so beautiful, I'd love to see it in person.  I have such a strong feel for Ireland that I'm sure I must have lived there in another life LOL!  I love Celtic music and recently bought a few CD's.  There is one melody on the CD that makes me extremely emotional every time I hear it, but I'd never heard it before I bought the CD - like I remember it from somewhere - it's really weird.   I really hope to get there someday!

Hugs,

Brenda

Board footer