Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Hello Arlene this is #######. I was looking at the mini miniature BEAR auction that you bid on and I think there was shill bidding going on in that aucton. I just happen to come across it while looking for needle felted items. I thought you might want to know. Just look at the bids that came in. Those two last bidders do not have any feedback and I've seen them bid on nancyandfriends' auctions before. I just don't like to see some of my customers being hurt. Take care for now. 

This is a note that was sent to one of my bidders who has purchased from me for years.  Is there something about me, that just brings these people to my door?
I wrote her a very nice email and explained that my new website is sending me new customers.

The reason they do not have any feedback, is because I do not have anything FOR SALE on my website...I show pictures of my current auctions on my AVAILABLE page, with a link to that auction.

So, in order to purchase, if they are not ebay members...they have to register to bid.

Being new to ebay, they don't know that all the bidding is done at the end...so they just bid away.  Then when they are snipped at the end, they are frustrated and bid on the next item to try to win.

I understand how this can look like shill bidding and I worried about it because I just knew someone would think that...but I can't stop people from bidding nor do I want to.

Anyway, I offered to send her all their emails they have written me...2 of them have just won items and I offered to send her copies of the paypal payments plus the shipping confirmations.

It can all be verified by ebay.  Shill bidders don't pay for items thru paypal and have the items shipped to them.  Thank goodness, I have a paper trail.

Any other ideas, girls?  I don't know what else I can do to prove my auctions are pure.
Lord, I am getting tired of this.  I mean ...Is there anything else?

any suggestions you might have...I would love to hear.

nanc........

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Oh, Nanc, I'm so sorry to hear this. You've explained it very nicely to us here so I'm sure your customer will understand what is happening too. I can imagine how frustrating it is for you though. Lots of hugs for you Nancy. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

She does Sandi...she has purchased from me for years and knows my auctions well...in fact she was thought to be a shill bidder because of the way she bids.

It really is dis-heartening.

I know she didn't mean to try to hurt me...and I told her that.
And I understand that people perceive 0 feedbackers with a raised eyebrow...but goodness, we all have to start somewhere.

I was a 0 once too...that didn't mean I was a shill bidder.
My concern is how many others has she contacted with her 'theory'.   bear_sad

Thanks Sandi,
nanc........

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Nancy, do you know who this person is that's making the accusations? Although her intentions may have been good, she ought to be aware that she may be hurting instead of helping. Her theories should have a little more fact before spreading it around. Please don't fold up your tent, Nancy.  bear_sad Your friends are just too sweet not to share them with the world. Just come back and vent a little more if you need to. That's what we're here for. And hugs.  bear_original  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Gosh, Erin...that makes me feel better!  I don't mean that you are going thru this too, but it does make me feel better to know that you are having the same situation.   :doh:  Does that make sense?  Hope you know what I mean.

The strange thing was, I was just going to make a new thread and tell everyone that a website does make a lot of difference.  I have a wonderful mailing list started...I am getting so many nice emails now and more bidders.  It is really working and then someone thinks I am shill bidding.  There are always those who are there to knock the wind right  out of you, isn't there?

Oh, Sandi... I am not going to pack up my tent...but I feel like it, when things like this happen.  How can people just think up this stuff and then spread the rumor that they have made up without even checking into it or getting the facts to back it up.

If you think there is shill bidding going on...alert ebay.  They will check into it and take appropriate actions.

Gossip and rumors are just the worst thing, in my mind.

We once had a Pastor who did an entire sermon on gossip.  He said gossip is like throwing feathers in the wind from the highest mountain...once they are flying, you cannot ever take them back.  That is so true.

If the recipient of that email, had not been a very good customer of mine and knew my auctions are honest...think what this could have done.

nanc.........

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh Nancy,  it does seem like you are a target lately doesn't it.  I think this is a very good example of why many people choose to do "private auctions". 

Keep your chin up.  I think you are doing the right thing.  All you can do is offer a simple explanation to YOUR valuable customers...they will believe in you.

Hugs!!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I have one thought on this that is a HUGE compliment to you Nancy, if taken that way.

Your work sells for very good money..... that can make other artists (expecially those who may share your customers on eBay) rather jealous and jealousy can be a very mean beast as we know!

Also, I bet if a study was done on eBay users, heck the human population in general, I bet results would show that the majority DO NOT TRUST fellow human beings. Especailly where money is involved.... be it the price of an item, eBay fees, shipping fees, competitor's prices, etc...... most folks are out for the benefit only of themselves! Sadly, that seems to include Teddy Bear people. Though I'm convinced MOST teddy bear folks are the exception to the rule.  bear_happy

I know it's hard but try not to let it get to you. Selling on ebay opens the doors to millions of people... you don't really expect them all to be of kind and pure heart, do you??? You have to have a thick skin on eBay and as long as you are on the up and up and know it, that's what matters most.

Chin up my dear!!!!   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I agree with Daphne.... and it only takes one bad apple to undo all that good  bear_happy So keep your head up gal, and keep making those adorable teds and friends  :hug:

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Oh Nancy I can see why you are upset. I would not go down the private auction route as that hides things good in one way, bad in another. Its because you are so popular that these things happen. My auctions have been a little crazy lately. I had someone win at $450 and there was not loads of feedback and it was for mainly car things. Straight away I guessed a very generous partner had won the bear for a lady. Yep I was right and what a lovely person she was too. People should not read too much into these things. Kim Basta says all her auctions get the action in the last few minutes, but there are regular customers who will start your bidding off and end it too.

I know this has a little to do with last summer and the 'little critters' to make you feel extra fedup. You are a true artist  and I don't say that lightly, some people will always want to try knock you back a peg or too, even if its 'well' meant. Refuse to be knocked back!!!!

This said I'd be exactly the same as you. I have always worried about what people think and not always the ones that matter. bear_rolleyes Its the one thing in life I need to get to grips with. So hang in there and don't change a thing! :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

AWWW nancy,

I am so sorry you are being treated like this.  How frustrating! bear_angry

And you are right, new folks to e-bay would do well to watch how things work....

Meanwhile, things are rough on you, and that isn't fair.

Well, know that you are talanted and good and loved....daphne needed hugs today too, maybe you two could get together and share the bubbly?   bear_rolleyes

:hug:  :hug:  bear_wub  bear_wub  :hug:  :hug:

bear_tongue

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Daphne wrote:

Your work sells for very good money..... that can make other artists (expecially those who may share your customers on eBay) rather jealous and jealousy can be a very mean beast as we know!

AMEN to this!

You just have to learn to overlook it or it will drive you nuts.  I know just how you feel.

Take care. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Consider yourself hugged Nance  :hug:

eBay is full of nice people too - there are just the few naughty ones that can spoil your day sometimes.

You make gorgeous bears and are successful too - this is bound to rub a few people up the wrong way occasionally - even I hate you sometimes! ha ha ha ha aha aha aha
Only kidding me old fruit
:hug:

Penny  bear_wub

Thank you girls...your hugs and support 'sure do make me feel better'!

I know you are right, but the thing that is hard to ignore, especially when she is emailing people, is that people may actually believe her.  One little bit of slander and your done for. 

You know how you will see a flock of birds flying in the sky and then all of a sudden, they make a radical directional change and they all go...so I wonder who else has she written.

Oh, I am just tired tonight from all that dental stuff I went thru today...I am too pooped to worry.

One thing I have learned in all my years, is when wonderful happy days come your way...bask in them and be thankful for that day, really enjoy each minute by being aware that it is truly a perfect day...because it won't be long and someone will come along and try to just ruin your calm peaceful days.   It is just a fact, you can always count on someone to try to create stress and hurt for you.

I just seem to be getting an unequal share of it lately.

:hug:
Nanc.....

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:hug: Awwhhhhh....I think that dental work can always pull you down, and that's if you're having a hunky dee dory day.   :hug:   Just rest up, and make your bears and wee friends when you see fit  bear_happy

Sorry I have no practical advice for ebay, but it does indeed sound like she's slandered you.  Do you have a 'slanderous' sort of email from her personally?  It might do to pass this onto Ebay with your complaint...just a thought, and perhaps not a good one...

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Nancy,

I'm sorry this is happening to you.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Board footer