Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

LOL!!! "well palced whack" LOL!!!  Yup!  When I told my girlfriend (who is new to bear making) how long it takes me to do a nose she was flabbergasted!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Winney, My bear's name on my avatar is Kenai.  I was watching Brother Bear with my kids while I was working on him. ....sooooo that is how he got his name.  I am am sure he must smell your cookies!!!!!!  WHo wouldn't love oatmeal raisin cookies..mmmmmmmmm.  His mohair fur came from intercal and you may see him up on thier site soon.

Dilu, I loved your story about your dad's boxers!!

Here's a neat story that my brother likes to remind me of:

When I graduated from higschool I went to an art school specializing in airbrushing.  Well, I was airbrushing six painters hats for this group of break dancers (remember that?) with the word "Pizzazz!"   I was so into the fancy airbrushing that I was doing that I did not realize that I had made  all the "Z's"  into "S's" instead.  Think about it!!! LOL.  My Mom cracked up over that!  How rude of me...do I need to spell it..!!!!  YIKES!  Needless to say I had to ditch the hats.

Oh, and PS Winney, I am going to look for some acrylic paint remover...maybe I can save some of my favorite brushes(as they are always the ones that get ruined).  Thank you!

Hugs Judi

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Oh I saw the acrylic paint remover and brush conditioner tonight at Michaels ..yikes ! is it ever expensive for a teeney weeney bottle.

You know I wonder if " hand cleaner " for removing paints and yuck from your hands would do the same thing?

OK....I will confess...I just bought a bunch of Prisma Color pencils....1.49 ea. at Michaels...belive me they are way cheaper if you buy a box of them. ( figures about .75 ea. that way ) .
I almost got some spray Fixative for pastels and color pencils but then noooo, I don't remember us discussing this
( it's not allowed unless researched , he, he ).
I don't want to use a spray on the fur...maybe a clear coat of acrylic fabric liquid sealer stuff  would be better IF I need it...heck I don't even know what I need ....Go look over all the notes on the board about it ,he !
                                                                                              ........Winney

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Judi!  That was too funny bear_grin

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Winney,

I have the Prisma pencils too.  I have been using them for drawing since highschool and they are wonderful.  I also have worked extensively with real fur and I am having a hard time seeing how the pencils would work on real fur.  I am really doubting that they will .  You work with fur so you are aware that real fur is more "slippery" to the touch, than mohair,  which leaves not much for the color to "grab" on to.  Maybe you can prove me wrong  since I have not tried that.

I airbrush with acrylics on real fur and heat set it.  It works beautifully, like nothing else I have ever tried.  BUT>>>>like we have all heard on this board......go with whatever works for you.  That is what makes us all so unique.........

...hey WInney...got any more cookies?  Kenai is asking.

HUGS
Judi

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Judi, just wanted to share that my broken-arm guy, Toby, was sitting near me as I read the board last night.  And he witnessed me break into laughter and asked, "What's so funny?"  So I shared your 'pissass' entry with him. 

He now thinks you are all utterly cool -- instead of dorky, home-grown, bearmakers, which I suspect was his initial thought (little does he know the evil we do...!) -- so I thank you for creating an image of board-addicted, bearmakin', mommies and pet owners as cool, airbrushed, and break-dancing!

Laughing here... bear_laugh:D:D

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Very cool Shelli!  Glad to hear it.  My kids think I am goofy...and I take that very kindly too.

My seven-year-old Rachel, sometimes says,  " Is that ALL  you ever do, mom? Make bears!":D

How is your poor Toby doing anyaway?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

He's doing very well and gets his first permanent cast tomorrow morning.  We had an appointment for him to get it last week but the doctor wanted to wait for things to "get sticky" before moving him from a splint that was working well.

Lately, though, both Toby and his brother are noticing that his cast "smells like feet," so we're all very excited to get the permanent one.  Plus, he gets to get it signed!  Very exciting for a kid!

Thanks for asking...

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I   got cookies up the ying yang for that little bear, LOL.

Prisma Color pencils on real fur I don't think would work.
I searched around for how to dye  or tint real fur and did get some info.....You cannot submerge real fur in anything wet..it will get mushy and fall apart.I believe silk dyes hand applied will work , check with Deharma?

Nancy Tilburg was going to experiment with a doggie product I think  called " Pet Silk "? It's a  fun spray dye for showy dogs like poodles. I did find it on the internet..I will have to look up my notes on that.
I have a feeling it shampoos out...I mean what if you want pink one week then want lavender the next, LOL.

Nancy did a list in he recent  book 101 Bears on what works to color you bears depending on the bears  fur fiber content  is....... Winney

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I still like the airbsuhed acrylics on real fur.  It is soft and blends in beautifully like it is actually part of the bear and it's permanent.  I don't know if acrylics would work with a regular brush. It probably would but would not look as soft as airbrushing.  I have only done airbrushing and since this works for me....I think I'll stick with it.  BUT it is always great to hear of other ways to do things.  It broadens our horizons;)   

I think you're probably right with the pet silks.  But anything that comes in a sray like that would not be fine enough to do detailed work on a bear.  For larger areas of color that may be fine.  For example, when I am airbrushing around the eye area, I am working extremely close to the surface, almost touching it,  with a very small amount of paint.  The spray is almost as fine as a pencil line.

I have not tried oils like Shelli uses but it looks really great!  There are lots of different ways to get color and shading on bears.  Neat!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Shelli,

Inquiring minds want to know....did you use watercolors, fabric pens, watercolor pencils,markers......to sign the cast?

I  can't say I had a brainstorm, because you guys  actually got me started thinking, but I need to draw my bear's name on the foot pad before I can embroider it.  On light fabrics I use the water-erase pens...but on medium to dark fabrics I would use white chalk pens or pencils.  Well the idea of using another color under the nose, to get a richer color, works for embroidery too.  I used the creatacolor pencils for Amelia's name this afternoon, and you  can't see the writing.  I am very pleased with the results. 

Thanks ladies

Dilu

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

AAaaarrrgghhh. :mad:

I'm trying to paint some black bits on mink, and everything I've used so far rubs off. I think I'm going to try oil paints, but does anyone have experience with another medium that works on real fur???

I don't have an airbrush (yet), but I DO have a birthday coming up in July . . . .

Eileen

Listing Service Listing Service
My Mother
Shop

Real fur is a protien fiber.  Silk paints should work.

Dale

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks again, Dale! bear_original Is silk paint an art-supply or a fabric-supply product?

Eileen

My Mother
Shop

I would try a fabric supply first for silk paints and dyes.

Dale

My Mother
Shop

Better yet, here is the supplier list from "Paula Burch's All About Hand Dyeing Fabric" web site.

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/dyesources.shtml

Dale

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Elieen,

I airbrush acrylics on real fur.  I have been doing that for a few years with great results.  Most of the bears on my website are real fur in the adopted bear pages.  Just make sure they are heat set to make them permanent. 

Haven't tried Dale's suggestion but it sounds like it would work too.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks Dale and Judi,

I discovered a silk dye place in the city. I'll try that for now, and then get my 'birthday wish list' up on the refrigerator asap. One airbrush. Those effects are amazing. Maybe I'll practice on the dogs? ;)

Eileen

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, I was all set to go buy oil paints tomorrow after reading a post by Ms. Shelli on some other thread. But then I got to reading all of this thread and I am SOOOOOO confussed! Thanks a lot! :/:P:):D

I'll tell you one thing NOT to use under any circumstances for shading.... a black Sharpie! Never! Never! Never! On mohair it'll look deep purple and has a weird feel to it once dry. Never do this!!! (Yes, I speak from a moment of  stupid desparation!!)

I've got the prisma pencils, even got the soft lead ones. They are great on wool felt, ultrasuede too but on mohair I get really frustrated, it really only 'sticks' to the backing. In my experience anyway.

I'm now going to go to bed and dream about airbrushing "Pi**a**" on my dog with OIL paints while wearing multi colored boxers!! HA!!! :lol:

OH - more on oil paints: While checking out the website of the art store I plan to go to I saw this: "Winsor & Newton Artisan Water Mixable Oil Paints – Genuine oil paints that may be thinned with water and cleaned up with soap and water." Just thought this might be a tid bit some of you may be interested in.

Hugs,
Daphne

ellen ontario, canada

HELLO EVERYONE!  goofy question .....
do you shade/colour your footpads before or after sewing them in?  i suppose either way will work but one must be easier.
bear_ermm

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Not goofy . . . quite a reasonable query!  I like to shade AFTER sewing them in and stuffing.  That way, they are smooth and firm - making the shading a LOT easier to apply.

Pam Wausau, WI

Hi Winney,

I use beeswax to finish a nose - the wax blends the threads together so that instead of seeing individual pieces of thread, you'll just see a smooth nose.

Pam

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Daphne

That is so cool- oil paints that be cleaned up with soap and water!!!  I am starting to drop hints about airbrush tools-mainly the compressor, cuz its kind of expernsive.  If we have oil paints like you told us about then trying Judi's technique would be easier.....Ohhhhh I can hardly wait.

Thank you for sharing this info.

I wish my dad was still with us-he would have loved that water clean oil paint concept. 

Dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, got 2 tubes (browns) of that water friendly oil paint, one of a black acrylic (their selection wasn't good on greys), paint brushes (2 or 3 - can't remember) and a couple of watercolor pens. WHEW! Obviously I couldn't decide and the woman who's help I enlisted at this little art shop looked at me like I was from saturn when I told her what I was going to do with these paints.  Big help she was!!! :rolleyes:

Dilu, yes, the aircompressor is the big expense in airbrushing. I have a b'day in June, had wanted a purple bear_laugh KitchenAid mixer, or an iPod but now I'm thinking the aircompressor is the most practical - can't gain weight with one, I have a walkman and stereo that work just fine and I might just sell a few of my airbrushed critters! (Then again, I can rationalize ANYTHING!!:lol::lol:)

I'm off to see what horrible things I can do to a bear with paint!!!!!

Thanks for all the great painting/shading suggestions!

Daphne

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hey Daphne and Dilu,

I have been running my airbrush with a CO2 tank for more than 20 years.  It is silent, very effective, and easily portable (but can take a bit of muscle if you have a larger tank), and no water trap is needed.  The down side (and this is a very small downside) is that it does need to be refilled when it runs out.  My  tanks lasts for more than a year at a time.   Just something to think about.:)

Board footer