Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I am having major bear withdrawal here! bear_cry  bear_cry  A while back, when I was working on Harrison Hare, I had a bad hangnail on my thumb.  Then, like an idiot, I managed to stab myself with the needle right in the hangnail.  It was kind of deep, but I just got the bleeding stopped and kept on working my little heart out on Harry.  Never did clean or treat my boo boo.  Now I'm paying for it! :doh:  My thumb is badly infected....has been since friday (imagine an infected ingrown toenail, only on your thumb--ick!).  It's starting to get better, but it's gonna be several days I think.  Hurts so bad now I can hardly touch anything with my thumb and I certainly can't sew!! bear_cry  bear_cry  I spent today working on web pages for the website I don't have yet, and I finally started playing with making some ATC's, but

I wanna make bears!!!!!!

It's really killing me that I can't finish the one I was working on....a prototype of a new design that I was excited about.  Crud!! bear_angry

Lesson to be learned here:  never ignore your boo boo's, even if they seem minor at the time!!  bear_wacko

:hug:
Tracy

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Awww Tracy  bear_cry

I am sorry-i do the same 'stupid' trick all the time.  Are you soaking in hot water several times a day to make it come to a head sooner?

hHang in there honey.....the mohair will wait, i promise  :hug:

dilu

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Ouch Tracy - that sounds so painful!
I really hope that it soon heals up and you can get back to making your Bears.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Tracy , sorry to hear that.
It's sounds so painful..  bear_cry 
I hope your  thumb finger will be heal
soon.  :hug:

Hugs/Marie

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

AWWWEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! That sounds so nasty. Poor you Tracy. I hope it soon feels better and you can get back to your sewing.

Hugs Jane  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Megelles Megelles
Brisbane
Website

Tracy
I can feel your pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Yuk and ouch!!!!
I have had an ingrown toe nail before and it become infected and then had to be operated on!! 

But not being able to sew is a worse fate!!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

OHHH Tracey I feel your pain... I hope it heals soon for you ..

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad Ow, Helena!! bear_cry

I sympathize. Take care of your poor digit.

I'm a Charter Member of the Stupid Human Tricks Club!

About a week ago I stepped on the end of a bamboo stick I'd used to spread glue. I pulled it out, or so I thought, washed it off, and hobbled back to my work. The next morning it was hurting like Hades, and I could barely walk. I spent the day soaking it, which helped a bit, but it still feels as if I've got a marble inside my foot.

My Dumb Cluck trick of a few days before that was messier, but not quite so painful. I knocked over my poorly capped quart bottle of LeatherWeld glue, and didn't notice--when I did, I had to race against drying time to clean the glue out of the rug and off the sundry valuables on the floor. Finally got back to work, bitterly cursing self.

Later, I realized that one sock was glued to a foot--same foot. It would not budge without causing extreme pain. LeatherWeld works on all sorts of skin, tanned and untanned, and works fast. Anyway, I had to cut and soak the sock off--no matter, it was one I'd stolen from the Hubs--but it took a long time, and my foot was still sore when I impaled it a few days later.

Notes to self: make sure caps on bottles are really tight, wear shoes, and stop leaving stuff on floor.

Eileen

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Tracy, ouch! I got shivers just imagining it!!

Eileen, OUCH! What a day. I tend to get cranky on days like that! LOL

sewing stars sewing stars
providence, rhode island

oh man, that sucks. my poor hands look like i work the fields, but really it is just me stabbing my self with pins and needles all the time. i often yelp out in pain...take care of your finger! be sure to keep it nice and clean, and i bet it will be better in no time!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Tracy, make sure you look after your poor thumb cuz it is pretty easy to get the streaky rred lines (IE blood poisoning).  My best friend was a professional quilter and she had it more than once, from a poke with a needle, that wasn't looked after properly!  Dilu's advice to soak it is really important. 

Hugs,

Brenda

Iowa
Website

Thanks for all the well wishes gals!! bear_wub   I have been soaking it several times a day, and thank goodness, this morning it finally started draining (eeeww! bear_tongue )  I was afraid I'd have to go see the doc, but now I shouldn't have to.  I hate going to the doctor! bear_grin  bear_tongue   If it gets worse again, I'll go though as I've had blood poisoning before and it sure wasn't fun.  Especially since I was allergic to the antibiotic I was given and had a nasty reaction to that too. bear_rolleyes

Eileen wrote:

I'm a Charter Member of the Stupid Human Tricks Club!

About a week ago I stepped on the end of a bamboo stick I'd used to spread glue. I pulled it out, or so I thought, washed it off, and hobbled back to my work. The next morning it was hurting like Hades, and I could barely walk. I spent the day soaking it, which helped a bit, but it still feels as if I've got a marble inside my foot.

My Dumb Cluck trick of a few days before that was messier, but not quite so painful. I knocked over my poorly capped quart bottle of LeatherWeld glue, and didn't notice--when I did, I had to race against drying time to clean the glue out of the rug and off the sundry valuables on the floor. Finally got back to work, bitterly cursing self.

Later, I realized that one sock was glued to a foot--same foot. It would not budge without causing extreme pain. LeatherWeld works on all sorts of skin, tanned and untanned, and works fast. Anyway, I had to cut and soak the sock off--no matter, it was one I'd stolen from the Hubs--but it took a long time, and my foot was still sore when I impaled it a few days later.

Notes to self: make sure caps on bottles are really tight, wear shoes, and stop leaving stuff on floor.

Eileen, I think you're my long, lost twin!!!  bear_grin  bear_grin  I often feel that I'm a walking disaster.......and have heard this often from my family, too!! bear_grin  bear_grin   I know it was painful and really not funny, but I couldn't help but giggle (sorry!!) that you glued your sock to your foot!  Holy cow!!!!  You might have me beat there,...........but not by much!! bear_laugh Hope that foot feels better soon!! bear_wub

Hugs,
Tracy

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, ouch, Tracy . . . so sorry! bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Tracy, I hope your thumb feels better soon.   :hug:  :hug:

Eileen, I hope your foot gets better.   :hug:  :hug:

beary_clairey Luton

As Homer would say "D'OH !!! "

Hope you ladies are feeling better soon !!!!

Hugs

Claire

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original I think you're right, Tracy!

I think I've been klutzing around much longer than you have! Experience helps . . . or doesn't.  bear_wacko My poor kids are beyond embarrassment by this time--I'm the 'Cleanup in Aisle 7' Queen.

I'm very glad you took Dilu's advice about soaking your thumb. Yucky, but effective. Are you also using an antibiotic cream? Sometimes you need to repeat the process a few times, until the mutilated part really shows signs of healing up. If it doesn't, and soon, you gotta get yourself to a doctor.

Very good advice about taking care of our hands and treating our wounds immediately. I keep a cloth and spray bottle of water ready for cleaning blood off the fur, but maybe I ought to rethink my priorities.

Eileen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Eileen, Ouch....but that's ok, since you stole the sock from your poor barefooted hubby!

:dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Now how many of our resident Klutzes are left handed?

I have read several studies that show lefties tend to be inherently more klutzy and more likely to do real damage to themselves.  Like, oh, falling on their butt and getting a hairline fracture in the Isheal Tuberosity 3 weeks before knee surgery?  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

The studies stated that part of it is that the world is right handed so if we don't learn to think backwards we can get hurt.  But also the thinking was that its in the genes, jeans? that left handers are just inherently genetically klutzier.

My hubby would say this is true....but he's been living with me too long  bear_grin

hugs to all my left handed klutzy friends

and the righthanded ones too

and the ones who aren't klutzy

did I forget anyone?

dilu

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad Interesting, Dilu--but I'm right-handed, alas.

No excuse. I'm a bit surprised I haven't been nominated for a Darwin Award!  bear_ermm

Eileen

Iowa
Website
Eileen wrote:

I'm the 'Cleanup in Aisle 7' Queen

bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh That's me too!!  My hubby gets embarrassed to shop with me....is scared to go in a store with me that's full of breakables.  I'm always knocking things of shelves.....once I actually broke a whole shelf in Target...don't know what happened....just touched it and it fell off!  Darren walked away and pretended he didn't know me!! bear_grin

Dilu--I'm a righty, so I can't use that for an excuse darn it!!! bear_grin  bear_tongue  bear_grin

hugs,
Tracy

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_shocked  bear_shocked A Whole Shelf!?? You Rule, Girl!! :dance:  bear_flower

Eileen

Iowa
Website

Thank you!!!

(taking a bow here bear_grin )

I think one of my better ones was a time I was helping my great aunt clean her apartment.  In one day I broke a bottle of corn syrup on her kitchen floor (not fun cleaning up, believe me!!) and bumped into a floor lamp in the living room that fell into something else, which fell into another shelf or something......anyway, all this stuff went over like dominoes around the room, breaking various things as they went.  The worst was an old water globe with a rose in it.  That water stunk to high heaven.....for days!! bear_tongue   She later gave me a left-handed pitcher (she was a lefty) that she glued back together.  I still have this and cherish it. bear_original

hugs,
Tracy

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

:hug: Renae

Get that balance thing checked, m'Dear.

It might be no more than an ear infection, or the constant disorienting flow of critters around your feet, but pleeeeeze get it checked.

Eileen

Gatehouse Bears Gatehouse Gallery
Lockwood, Victoria, Australia

Urgh, you guys make me laugh, even if I don't want to right now.  I'm 'in the wars' myself...accidently rammed a fork between my thumb and thumbnail while I was cooking dinner last night...naturally its my right hand too, so I can't sew.

Iowa
Website

bear_shocked  bear_shocked Oh noooooo!  Not you too, Glenys!  That's my problem too....it's my right thumb.  Hope yours feels better soon!! bear_wub Oh yeah,  make sure you're soaking that thumb.......so it doesn't come back to haunt you later!!  bear_flower 

:hug:
Tracy

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh  :dance:  Well done, Glenys!  :hug:

Welcome to the Club!!

Eileen

Board footer