Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

clare14 Country Bears
England

Please excuse the pun, but I've searched all the kool aide posts and can't seem to find one that just tells a simpleton like me, what I have to do with it!!!   bear_laugh   :doh:

I know we MUST have discussed it before, but I can't find it, I just want some basic instructions and know if I need to seal the colour using salt or something......  bear_wacko     

You must forgive me, I've had a terrible morning, my son has just spilt PINK emulsion paint all down my stairs...... carpets and wall PLASTERED!!!     What a job I've had, I didn't know where to start........    bear_cry    That's a good dye if anyone's interested  bear_whistle

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I put one package of kool aide to 2 cups of water.  I sealed the material and dye mixture into a ziplock bag for 1 hour and the color is wonderful!!!  I used orange.  I will take a pic and show.  As for the salt I haven't tried it but I think the color isn't as bright more mutted.

Jane

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I did the same for a small bear..only wet the fur fabric first !!! ..

Put the Kool Ade in a small glass bowl , add 2 cups water...stir to disolve then add the fur fabric...I set a small saucer plate on top that weighed the fabric under the water... I only dyed mine for 15 min. as I wanted a light color.
I did some colors  ( like bright  Cherry ) adding 2 TBL salt for lighter colors . Winney

clare14 Country Bears
England

Oooh it's that easy!!??   I'm off to get some!!!  So many thanks Jane and Winney :hug:  :hug:

Incidently.....I came home from work to a very pink carpet, it was cream this morning.....   bear_cry  bear_cry    I scrubbed and scrubbed it too.....   bear_cry  bear_sad

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Clare,

Take it from a longtime Mom--

There's no point in replacing the carpet until your kids grow up!

For the last 25 years my stairs have been covered in a dark red pseudo-oriental runner. It absorbs everything.

Not long after our second child mastered projectile vomiting, we stripped the wall-to-wall, refinished the floors, and invested in area rugs.

Bonus--high-gloss varnish slows down the kids and dogs, and gives you a chance to catch/beat them to the door, repectively.

When the third started gluing her art work to the walls, we just gave up, and opted for faux finishes.

Eileen

clare14 Country Bears
England

Oh Eileen - thank you!!   :hug:    You should see the mess......

Today I bought a stair basket, it covers 'a bit' of it......   I'm certainly taking your advice, no new carpet until fully grown!!!   bear_laugh

So many thanks again...  :hug:  :hug:

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

This is the reference I used when doing it:

http://www.knitty.com/issuefall02/FEATdyedwool.html

to keep it tidy I put the solution & mohair into a big plastic food storage bag &
then into a mixing bowl (in case of leaks) & microwave it for 2 minute intervals
until all the dye is driven into the wool & the water is colorless & clear.

I have heard that if you add salt, the cotton backing will take some of the color
too, but I have not tried this. Also you can add multiple packages of kool aid
or some drops of food coloring for more intense color. I do add a splash of vinegar
if I add food coloring, just cause I figure it can't hurt to have it more acidic!

have fun :-)

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio
Eileen wrote:

Take it from a longtime Mom--

There's no point in replacing the carpet until your kids grow up!

Eileen

Eileen... truer words have never been uttered!    bear_grin

We have "cream" colored carpet here as well Claire.... no longer cream, I'm afraid to say!

I've often thought that the carpet companies would make a bundle if they matched their colors to the most often created "kid stains,"  and named them as such.... as in,

"Whoops Mommy I Spilled the Apple Juice and Didn't Tell You" for family rooms
"Science Project 101" for preteen bedrooms
"I've had one too many glasses of Merlot" for the living room........

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

"Whoops Mommy I Spilled the Apple Juice and Didn't Tell You" for family rooms
"Science Project 101" for preteen bedrooms
"I've had one too many glasses of Merlot" for the living room........

bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh Thanks, Kim! Finally I understand why I painted the dining room red!  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Eileen

BrozZ BearZ BrozZ BearZ
Toowoomba

My brother had really bad pimples and was using really really strong pimple remover. The stuff was so strong, that when he dropped a bit on the carpet, it bleached it in five different spots! Our carpet is a darkish grey. He even dropped some on the dark green bathroom mats when they were two days old!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_sad I sympathize, $am!

My bathrooms are still spotted here and there with my daughters' experiments in hair color!

It's a good thing I like  purple!

Eileen

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

144-4401_IMG.JPGHere is a pic of the orange kool aide.  It is a really nice bright orange.

Jane

White City, Oregon

WOW!!!! THAT IS BRIGHT !.....   bear_whistle ........WINNEY

White City, Oregon

I saved that link Kim...thank you..! I took a look at your web site...wonderful Kim ! I love all your paintings and the subject atter is right down my alley...very magical...whimsical stuff. I didnt see any fur bears...do you have another site ?....Winey

Board footer