Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Maybe we should wear  " Teddy Talk " name tags....Yes that's a great idea!

Who make teddy pins ? ........Winney

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I make teddy pins, just sent one to Donna-am trying to get the little guys a little smaller. 2.5" is the smallest I've been able to do and I really prefer 3".  Its easier.  I hope I get better.

Any one of you could make teddy pins- Just makeyour basic pattern smaller using your computer- and then decide if you want him backed with lace ( I used a doily on Donna's) or something like that. 
then sew on the jewlery finding pin clasp.  Be sure you sew it with the working part towards the bears head though....I learned the hard way that it is kinda difficult getting it on your blouse upside down.

I know you could do it-  I've only been doing bears for one year and you guys are experts....Lets see what you come up with.  With all the expertise on this site we should get some fabulous ideas.

Oh I back the bear with a doily or something like that because the first pin I made( for my mom-in-law) I felt there was too much stress on the bear  sewing the jewlely finding directly on his back.

Dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

OK, The thing I like most about teddy making is................ (that WAS the topic, wasn't it??:lol::lol:)

The friends I've made in fellow bear artists! Seriously! I live in the middle of no where, my hubby works LOOOONG hours, we don't have children and I'm home all day sewing (and computering). Message boards like this and phone chats with the few women in my bear club help so much in so many ways!!!

Judi, I just wanted you to know that I've been diabetic since the age of 11 and don't "LOOK" diabetic either. What the heck does one look like anyway??? 24 years as a diabetic and I still can't figure that one out! bear_ermm Sounds like you are in great health and have a good attitude about it. Doesn't that make all the difference??

When you have a moment to make a Back Road Bears Banner give me a shout!!! :o) I'm envious of everyone's!!:(

Hugs to all you warm, fuzzy (maybe not literally!!) people!

Daphne

White City, Oregon

Thanks Dilu for explaining how you made your teddy pin.  I think it would be fun to wear one to the bear shows and even give them away to teddy friends  like you did. That would be neat, especially new teddy makers...what fun !
                                                                                                .........Winney

OK Guys,

The nurse in me wants to know what looking diabetic is like, because there are 2 differnt types, and then there are the folks who strugle with HYPOglycemia.  (We sort of look like we are in the middle. not fat fat, not  skinny, but perhaps a little ditzier-( speaking for myself)

Mary Tyler More looks (to me) like a beautiful woman who has had diabetes TYPE 1 under control her whole life.  I picked her because of her tireless fight for diabetic awareness and funding.   Those Type one folks have to have it under control their whole lives, or face the terminal consequenses.

So our beautiful Judi does look like someone who knows her life depends on being in control of her blood sugars.  As a nurse, looking at Judi's picture, I think she looks terrific, because I know how hard it is for kids especially to learn to say no to the treats, and learn about the disease process.

TYPE 2 folks are usually a little pudgy, kind of like our munchkin bears.  And they are lucky in that it usually starts later in life (40s-50s) and their body has learned to adapt to an awful lot of excess sugar before they start to have problems .  The tend to be the ones who have the complications you hear about. 

The really sad thing now is that kids are getting type 2 diabetes because f the lack of exercise and junk food availability.  The disease of an affluent society I guess.

Kudos to both Judi and  Daphne for taking the disease seriously-it would be a real loss to everyone were either of you not here.

And look at what you contribute to the Teddy Community.  I admire the control you show, and the talant everyone gets to share because of you ladies.

OK...nuff said.

Dilu

Winney,

You are so right.  The joy for me is making the bears, big and little, not having them or owning them.  So I tend to give them away alot. 

My husband says it would be nice to sell something once in a while, to supprt the habit. Hmmm he is probably right.

Dilu

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Dilu wrote:

OK Guys,

....and then there are the folks who strugle with HYPOglycemia.  (We sort of look like we are in the middle. not fat fat, not  skinny, but perhaps a little ditzier-( speaking for myself)

Dilu

LOL!!!  Yep, I'm HYPOglycemic too... and yes... I AM ditzie (it's OK, I can admit it bear_laugh)  I have a real hard time concentrating, get distracted easily...

And I do struggle with my weight.. although I'm not overly overweight.  Haven't touched sugar in 11 years, hardly ever drink (not supposed to anyways)  My weight was great when I could run 3 miles a day.. but I can't do that anymore (just makes my whole body ache and I'm so tired - happened after a gallbladder operation).... I just joined our local park district gym so I can do some lower impact excercizing... it really helps keep the blood sugar under control and helps my back too.

Oh, and to keep it bears.... my bears ALL love cookies so they eat them so I don't feel tempted LOL!!!!:D

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I have a real hard time concentrating, get distracted easily...

Me too! So I guess that makes me a Ditzie Diabetic!!! :lol:

Dilu, you are very sweet!
I had never thought about there really being a physical difference in Type I & Type II! When I was first diagnosed Type I was aka juvenille diabetes (hereditary or virally induced) and Type II was adult onset diabetes. Simply because older adults could have health problems causing slowing of insulin production. Now it's got less to do with age and more to do with weight. It's sad, really. You are right that people like Judi and I are apt to be healthier as we are at higher risk for complications otherwise. Thanks for the insight.

You guys give me warm fuzzies!
Thanks for being here!

Hugs, Daphne

Hi everybody!

My teddies pout when they don't get Jelly-Bellys.  But then so do I.  My big downfall.

I have to work to keep weight on, now, and you know, it is as hard to put it on as used to be to take it off.

Maybe thats why my munchkin patterns have big tummies. 

Three cheers for all of us who have problems and take the challenge to learn and fight.  Now, no matter how bad my piddely problems are, Adam, my first bear who sits on the window sill and chides me; reminds me that some poor soul is in much worse condition.  And to stop whinning, get to work and don't forget those people in my prayers.

Good Advice Adam

Dilu

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Dilu wrote:

I have to work to keep weight on,

Hi Dilu.

I hate you.

bear_laugh:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Shelli-  I am still laughing and the cats think I've lost my mind and the husband stared at me like I grown an extra head.  I just told them, "you had to be there...."

I used to be really really heavy,  317,  things change.  So I understand the weight issue from both sides as well as from a medical perspective.

Know what?

Teddies are more interesting.

Go Teddy!

Thank you for  GOOD LAUGH!

Dilu

White City, Oregon

So for us pudgy people does that mean a diabetic diet will take the weight off?  ....Winney

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Dilu wrote:

Thank you for  GOOD LAUGH!

Dilu

You're welcome.  bear_original

kimkc Australia

I enjoy the stuffing:)
Possibly sounds weird, but i enjoy the process of seeing ted becoming more real, so to speak:rolleyes:

Winney

Believe it!  Following the same type diet as Judi, Daphne and other diabetics who are serious about staying alive is the best thing in the world.  And it is common sense.  I follow it religiously too, ( except for the few Jelly Bellys I slip in) Because it helps keep my sugar from going too low. 

Check with you doc.  Most docs I know would love to have a patient stick to a common sense diet.  It is really hard in the western world where everything is fast and supersized!.

Dilu

KimKC

Hi, glad to meet you.  You enjoy stuffing?!?!  I don't mind at all on anyone under 7 inches but the big guys really bog me down.  I think my problem is mostly arthritis and the big ones need a lot of the certain hand motions that cause it to flare up.

I'm still trying to figure out a better way to do it.  I'm convinced that there is a trick to it I haven't figured out yet.

When it comes to stuffinh give me a 3 incher and I am a happy little stuffer.

Dilu

White City, Oregon

Dilu...My hands hurt sometimes a lot... after hand sewing real fur bears, stuffin bears, and whatever else.

I recently develped a bear that is so much easier on my hands..it's head is firm stuffed , the feet, paws are medium stuffed then  the rest is pellets  and a small amount of the bounciest  filling you can get..it
s that silky stuff that will not pack down, wonderful for  super soft bear . I use this pattern a lot when working with real furs  as it takes the stress off the pelts and me too....Winney

Winney-

I've made one mink bear and one sable-  I have 2 more to go- (I was given a sable short coat and a mink stole.  It really is a neat little story if you have the time:

This 96 year old lady is now in a nursing home. (private) and these furs were hers.  Her daughter sent them to my friend who got me started on ted's.  My friend gave them to me along with this story:

Jayne used to work in a swanky restaurant in San Fransisco.  She was one of the " mermaid girls" who swam underwater for the patrons who watched while they dined.  This would have been in the '20's.  She had many admirers who gave her many gifts, including these real furs.  I think she was a very busy little gal.

My friend said to do whatever I wanted, she didn't want to bother with them.

I thought about this sweet little gal in a nursing home and decided if I made a mink bear it had to be for her.  So I did.  It was my first experience with real fur.  It really came out great. Alas, I didn't know how to use the digital camera at the time.  I have learned since then.

I am so grateful for all my prior sewing experience, it really helped.  I gave the finsihed bear to my friend who sent it to hers.  It turned out they were able to take the bear to M iss Jayne on her 96th birthday, and she was thrilled.  I understand she keeps it with her all the time.  I don't blame her, the fur was luscious.

I love the idea of her holding her bear and remembering her colorful past.

Then I started on the sable.  I was able to creatively cut out 3 bears.  One for the the daughter, one for my friend and one for me. 

Pretty neat huh? 

I really like your idea of pellets- Because I realized working on the first sable bear that I had to be very careful, as the leather was not yet brittle, but not still soft and pliable.  I believe your idea about the pellets is just the ticket.

I too developed a pattern that would be adaptable to the pelted fur.  Fewer stress points, and those there are I can reinforce.  Also I also cut from heavy duty muslin the same pattern pieces and lightly glued them to the fur pieces.  I think this helped in the mink bear.  I wish I had known about this site when I started on the sables.

I am sorry about your hands.  I've got some of those elastizised (sp?)  gloves that leave your fingers free.  They help alot, and I consider them a real blessing.  Have you tried those?

Also I have one of those melted waX things, that really helps me, and feels so good, and also pulls off any annoying dry skin as well. 

Isn't if funny that no matter how badly we hurt we will still keep doing what we love.  Thats what life is all about. 

Here's hoping your hands feel better soon.....you hand sewed the pelted furs???  Yikes!!!  No wonder your poor little hands hurt.  That took some real determination and grit!

Dily

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Ahhh Daphne...we are kindred spirits...with very sweet blood!

I too am an Registered Nurse, Dilu, but am not working as one anymore.  I have opted to stay at home and be with my children and make my bears.  It is much less stressful this way .  Stress is a big factor in controlling blood sugars.  Being creative and drawing, painting , and designing bears have been great stress relievers for me.

Just so you know...that picture of me was taken just after my 40th birthday this past March 3rd.    And and I have had diabetes since the age of 12,,, insulin dependant.  It takes a tremendous amount of effort to maintain normal blood sugars.

I also Ballroom Dance on a regular basis.  I almost wanted to call my bear business, Dancing Bears because I love to  Ballroom dance so much with my husband,  Who used to teach dancing.  He is an awesome dancer too...and he milks cows!!!!!!  He's a dairy farmer.:P:lol:

Diabetes carries such a stigma.  Like I said before, I have heard it all my life that I do not "look" diabetic.  In fact I spoke in front of a whole crowd with a local TV personality at a diabetes fund raiser about "what is a diabetic suposed to lookl like anyway?".  It was great.  Atittude is everything.  I can live a normal life...it is up to me.

Don't mean to write a novel but I think it is really nice to hear about other artists backgrounds.  We can get to know each other this way.:)

Hey Laura, Daphne,  another cute name for a diabetic (or hypoglycemic)artist who makes bears could be "Sugar Bears" hee hee.  Well, now..maybe us three can be the "sugar babies" or "Sugar Babes" !!!  I like that a lot!:lol:

Dily,  I work quite a lot with real fur and I sure can relate to the swollen, sore, poked up hands.  I use a leather needle and thinble, which helps a lot.  Testing my blood sugars four to eigth times a day doesn't help either!

Take care!
Hugs, Judi

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

PS...one more thing tonight...
Thank you very much ladies for the lovely and supportive comments!  That means a lot to me.   

Angels on your pillows  (my mom used to say that)

hugs
Judi

Judi

You are so right regarding the fingersticks.  I use the accucheck compact.  I like that it is fast and needs little blood.  I too check my sugars, but not 8 times a day, just 3 plus problems.

I so totally agree with you about the stress level!!!!!  Making bears is much calmer and the really great thing, I don't have to chart!  YEAH!. I was obsessive compulsive when I worked.  I credit that neurosis for saving me from medication erros. I do remember one though-I gave Ativan instead of Xanax.  (same benzo family)  I had to call the doctor, who was from India, with a great sense of humor ( for a psychiatrist) and I told him what I'd done.  He said:
     " Ativan? OOOOOOO well maybe he need two!"
So then I said ; how about one for the nurse.
"Oh No No NO.  You are driving"  Meaning I was head nurse.  I got lucky.

I am cutting back more and more.  At 53 its time.  Besides there just aren't enough bears in the world and I have so very much more to learn.

A man who dances and milks-as long as he isn't dancing with the old gal he's milking!  What a sight that wouold be!

Did I mention I was a psychiatric RN?  Guess you can tell why.

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You ladies are quite interesting . . . thanks for sharing your stories.  When I worked at a real job, I was a medical technologist (the person that tested all the blood, pee, poop, etc. that came into the laboratory).  You nurses will know what I did! bear_shocked bear_shocked bear_shocked bear_tongue  I pretty much think that medical related professions are ALL stressful.  Dealing with human health is so critical that it's bound to take its toll.  THANK GOODNESS we all found teddy bears . . . I can't imagine life without them now!! bear_laugh bear_laugh

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Dilu!  That is hilariuos "OOOO maybe he need two"

Speaking of cows....

My husband and I were on World's Funniest Videos about four years ago.  We had video taped ourselves Ballroom dancing in the milking barn in the center isle between the cows.  We had set up our camera and tripod because we were practicing a shoulder lift doing a Waltz and we wanted to see how it looked.  We have a stereo system piping tunes through the barn....well, anyway, when we veiwed the tape we also heard the cows mooing, and heard and saw them ...eh hem... peeing into the grated gutter.  Don't get me wrong...my hubby keeps a VERY clean barn...Our cows each have thier own mattress's and he keeps them very clean.  But...it looked so funny with us in our barn clothes doing such a graceful dance as the waltz!!!!!

It was aired on the Mother's Day edition.  That was our 21 seconds of fame!  and we got $500.00.  Not too shabby!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

You know it SueAnn! 

I couldn't imagine life without bears either.

Ohhhh Judi,

How I wish I had seen it, I am sure it was priceless!

Dilu

Isn't interesting how many of us are from medical backgrounds.Hmmmmmm  I wonder what it means.....

Board footer