Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Glacierbaybears Glacier Bay Bears
Japan

Hello, I need your advice, I have been working on about 5 or 6 different styles of bears. and I can't figure out the style the LOOk that I want to make. I wanted to know am I the only one struggling with this and how did others develop there stlye. bear_rolleyes

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Jamie,
     I've been making teddies for over 9 years and I have been told by customers that they can easily recognize my bears, but it's nothing I really strived for.  I think my style came from my love of antique teddies and because that's the type of bear I am alway trying to emulate in my work.  I would try and continue to make the bears that make "you" the happiest, as I think then you put your best work into it.  Your trademark style will develop on it's own as you continue making teds.  Hope this makes sense.

Hugs,

Brenda

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi,
          After 9+ years I am still striving ,but I do like to try different styles anyway,so I would not worry about finding a particular style.  I think that is the arty part of most bear-makers is to always try to do something different.  Hugs Rita xxx

Dilu Posts: 8,574

We have all had many discussions on this subject....it is a priceless question.

I don't know the answer. and I understand trying different styles etc to try and discover what your 'style' is.

Everyone has different ideas, but this is mine;

Your style developes along with your skills and abilities

.....and as it developes it refines itself.

My style seem to be rather gollygoofy.

I have fought this style, but it just seems to pop up- it just seems to be there-it's, as a good friend said, 'diluish'. 

The other question to ask yourself is this:

will you recognize your style when it happens?

I don't know about you, but I have tried to do other styles, I have tried to do those sweet little bears that simply break your heart.....but I can't. Mine come out looking like rabid pigmonkeebears.

So I will comfort myself by buying the sweet things and continuing on with what I seem to do my way.

In other words I will embrace the diluish style

You will get some great responces, however, and it will be fun to read what everyone writes.

Great question, Jamie, and it appears from your avatar that

you already have your style

it is that style I was talking about,

the awww too cute for words! style.

Just allow yourself to create what you create.....it all tends to come together......and there's no sense fretting while you are doing what you love to do....right?

gollyhugs to you!

Happy Easter....

dilu

nettie scotland
Website

It has been ten years for me and I am still not always sure I have a style.Customers say I have though.
I have made 3 inch bears then three foot bears ,contempory,anime,you name it.I am happest making traditional germanic bears so maybe that is my style.Good luck it will arrive one day.The ones you enjoy making the best will win.
Diane xxx

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

I totaly agree with Rita. I would not worry to much about a particular style. I also try to change and do different things. I think it make you unique. Although I think we all have are own little quirks like where we place the eyes, how we scissor sculpt and noses etc..

Many Hugs Louise

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I have only made about 10 bears and I'm still trying to find the look I like.
I keep working & changing my pattern so it will take awhile before I will arrive at the Tami look on my bears! LOL

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

I agree with Louise. I think your 'style' is in how you do things. You can use lots of different patterns, but it's the way you put in the eyes, do the mouth and trim the fur, etc.  Most people just keep doing what works for them and that becomes their 'style'. No matter what type of bear you are making, it's those little things that make all your bears LOOK like your bears. You many not notice it, but other people do.

Japan

thanks girls,for your advice,  :hug: I am just going to keep making bears from the heart and not worry about a style for now.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Good call Jamie.
That's what I'm doing. I don't really have a style, all my bears look totally different. I love  to experiment, so if that means my bears don't look the same, I'm totally fine with that.

Plus, I think you do have style, those awsome bunnies you make, I can tell they are your when I see them. Also, your bears are starting to have that same 'look'

Just my thoughts anyway

Japan

thank you Heather, I can't really see it, maybe I look at my work to much bear_rolleyes I am my worst critic sometimes :dance:

Board footer