Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

smaller-brown-bear.jpgHow do you pick names?  Sometimes the kids tell me what their names are...(teach me to give them mouths) but sometimes......I haven't a clue

Here is Mr. NONAME....fortunetly he is going to a home where there is no lack of imagination

and then there are critters that pop out of the sewing machine already named!

How do you guys do it?

Dilu

Also how do you put pictures where you want them to go

PPS  I believe there was more shnaps than tea last night-my honey made it, boy does he have a heavy hand. bear_laugh

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I hear ya!

I wanna say RAFFERTY on this little darlin', but I might have seen that recently somewhere else before, and just forgotten the source.

Very cute little scruffly thing!

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

You know Dear little Dilu. Sometimes, well most of the time I use a baby name book. I find the most unusual names there. Sometimes I just like a name. Your little man is so very sweet and meek and shy. He looks a little bit like a "RAZZLE" to me.

Hugs Louise

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

How about
Fazzle !? Fozzle ? :P

he said he wants to go for ADVENTURE !
He is sooooo cute. or is he she ?
I love your small creatures :D

Hugs/Marie

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

He's a sweetie, Dilu!!  Google "baby names" and you'll have resources 'til kingdom come!

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

What about Ruffin. Rita xxx

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Dilu!

Oh he's great!  I love the names with the "zz" sound myself.

My hubby would have had a stroke if I bought a "baby name" book... so I bought a pet name book!  It's got a lot of other cute type names too that you never would have thought of for a child LOL!

Also... sometimes I'm reading a book, or watching the TV and hear a name and think... "gee, what a great name for a bear!".  So I've started writing those down.

When a bear is born... if I can't think of a name right away.  I sit him or her down in front of me and start looking thru my book and lists.  The name will usually come to me then. 

Sometimes I look thru the online translator too for non-English words.  My avatar is a cream mohair tipped with purple... she reminded me of a little jewel.  Translate that to French and you have "Petite Bijou"!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

OK I guess I didn't explain myself- can I still blame the schnaps?

What I mean is- is there something bout the bear that suggests the name, do you just pick at random, is it easy or hard for you, that sort of thing

Although I will check out the web site you mentioned-I especially like trhe nonsensical concept.....gee I wonder why? :lol:

Dillydallywonkerslylu

maybe I don't really need more nonsense in my life? bear_tongue

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

There is usually something about the bear that suggests the name to me, but occasionally -- as with the recent GRACE -- I just look and look and get a "feeling" or a "sense" of the tone of the bear, but can't come up with a name that fits.

Some times browsing name sites or a name book helps.  Often, I also browse other artists sites!  I might use one of their bear names, or that might spur me on to thinking up one of my own.

I never, ever start out with a name or concept and then make the bear.  It always happens in the reverse.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Shelli wrote:

I never, ever start out with a name or concept and then make the bear.  It always happens in the reverse.

LOL!!  I agree!  I had this beautiful long cream fur tipped in lilac... I was in the process of making the bear and planned on naming "her" Lilacia.  However, when the bear was finished it was definitely a BOY bear LOL!  So I don't even try to name them until they are done now bear_grin

Board footer