Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi there!  I've been asked to come into my daughter's Kindergarten (5-6 year olds) and talk about being a teddy bear maker.... it's sort of a "career week" thing.   bear_tongue   Anyway, I just know that the next day, I'll slap myself on the forehead and say, "Why didn't I talk about that or bring this....!?"  :doh:   Now... I DO know that the young ones will probably want to talk as much as I do, and I know I am going to hear some adorable stories about their own teddies/lovies... and I can't wait!!!  But what would YOU talk about and what would you bring?

I am thinking about telling them the whole Teddy Roosevelt story in a nut shell, bringing in some mohair that they can touch and feel..... maybe some bear magazines that they can keep in the classroom and look at.... one of my bears..... 

And I know I want to do some Q&A about how a teddy bear makes us FEEL, and why they are so important to some people even after they become a grown up

What else would YOU do?

:hug:  bear_wub  bear_smile

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Kim, that sounds perfect! I know that the kids that age love to hear and talk about the teddy bear and how it relates to THEM, rather than the "techie" stuff like how it is made. I think your agenda is perfect. Oh, one other thing I thought of. You might want to let them make thier ow.. what I mean is drawing out a "pattern" on construction paper (just the head, body, 2 legs, and two arms. Then they could cut out the pieces and connect them together with paper brads so the limbs are moveable. An easy project that they can keep. and it also shows them the pieces that are involved in making the bear

Sonya

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Kim ,I too have done that to groups and its great fun. Its amazing.The first time I did it I wrote a few pages and intended to use them for my talk, but you know what, I never even looked at them ,the words will come to you and they will have so many questions to ask you. I bet you will enjoy it as much as the kids.  Hugs Rita xxxx

Hudson, Ohio

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement ladies!  I am SOOOO looking forward to this!  They've had a doctor, an accountant, a car salesperson, and a lawyer come in so far... so I can imagine that my "job" will seem EXTREMELY interesting to them!   bear_tongue   

Sonya... I Love that idea about printing out a little "pattern" for them... color, cut, put the brad in and watch him MOVE!  That is awsome!!!!  My daughter is always drawing out her own bear "patterns" here at home... so I know that is an activity they will love. bear_wub  Oh, that is perfect! 

I know that a couple of times my kids have had friends over while I am making bears, and they ask me what I am doing.  I tell them, I am making a teddy bear and they are always so shocked to find out that my bears are really made especially for "grown ups!"  So, I am really looking forward to talking to them a little about that.... the fact that grownups still need to feel comforted, that sometimes we can be a little nervous or scared too, and that different people find different things comforting and familiar......

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

What fun Kim, good luck!  Thinking about my little niece who is 6...she loves the different furs and touching them...I remember teaching my nephew about synthetic and mohair, where mohair comes from and he would feel evey bear and try and guess which fur it was.  So cute bear_original  Maybe show them photos of the first teddy bears?
Hope you have fun.  Miranda will be so proud  bear_innocent
xox Sarah

Hudson, Ohio
Twincubs wrote:

I told the Teddy Roosevelt story, brought in samples of mohair to pass around and a picture of the "Mo" himself (there's an article in Teddy Bear and Friends, I think this month, with a photo

I am just on my first cup of coffee as I read this.... so I'm thinking, "What the heck is a "Mo?"  What is she talking about?  I pause, I think for a moment... the coffee begins to reach my brain .... I GET IT!!!!  That is TOO FUNNY!   :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

That's a great idea!  Yes, I know the issue you are talking about too.. with the picture of that beautiful angora goat.   

Sarah.... my wee ones love to run their fingers through the mohair too!  :hug:  bear_smile

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Kim...........you ain't gonna be able to get a word in edgeways and i suggest you take along ear protectors - waterproofs - headache pills and a small discreet hip flask of J Daniels to help the time pass

As to what i would do                  don't ask

bear_tongue  bear_laugh  bear_grin  bear_shocked  :crackup:

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website
gotobedbears wrote:

Kim...........you ain't gonna be able to get a word in edgeways and i suggest you take along ear protectors - waterproofs - headache pills and a small discreet hip flask of J Daniels to help the time pass

As to what i would do                  don't ask

bear_tongue  bear_laugh  bear_grin  bear_shocked  :crackup:

Penny, you are so funny!   :crackup:

Kim, I don't have any suggestions for you, but I hope all goes well.  Let us know!

Board footer