Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Pages:
Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Could a promoter require that every artist have at least 2 pieces below a certain price? Say here in the US at a show the promoter asks every artist to have a minimum of two pieces priced below $75 or maybe even $50. Would that be 'crossing the line' as a promoter?

Just curious. I'd never thought about it until just now.

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

I'm very sensitive to the trend in shows and selling in general. My sales are my sole income and I'm always watching changes. This year I'm concentrating on the larger and/or more exclusive, i.e. expensive shows. I noticed last year that shows were becoming much more difficult for both artists and collectors. Traveling (air travel) is becoming more difficult and expensive, as well as hotels etc. I believe a show has to be a really Special Event to bring collectors out. I think we have to think like our serious collectors; traveling to shows is a lot of work! Most collectors know how to communicate with their favorite artists for new pieces and some rely on galleries, as the Toy Shoppe, for their pieces.  My most expensive/special event shows have given me the most profit in 2006 (I must add that I go all out for these shows: notices to my collectors, entering show auctions, contests etc.) Any promoter willing to stage a really first-class event/show has my ear  bear_rolleyes  And I believe these shows have the best chance in competing with the internet and other venues in the future.
Karen
P.S. As for pricing, I have another long opinion...!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

KJ Lyons wrote:

As for pricing, I have another long opinion...!

I respect you and your longevity in this industry, so if you're willing to share, I, for one, would like to hear it.  Privately, if that feels more comfortable for you... ?

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I would be most interested in what you have to say Karen! I hope that you will share. Please?

Cheryl :rose:

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I, too, would like to hear your thoughts on pricing!   bear_flower

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Edmonton
Daphne wrote:

Could a promoter require that every artist have at least 2 pieces below a certain price? Say here in the US at a show the promoter asks every artist to have a minimum of two pieces priced below $75 or maybe even $50. Would that be 'crossing the line' as a promoter?

Just curious. I'd never thought about it until just now.

You could ask Daphne! I personally would say no because I really wouldn't do anything in that price range and I don't want to make crafty items for my table. I have no problem if people want to do that.
I have had folks come to my booth and say that they have wanted one of my pieces for a while and saved their bear pennies to buy one. I would rather have someone do that than buy a trinket just to have something from me.

Cheryl bear_flower

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Personally, Cheryl, I agree with you! And as a promoter I don't want someone slapping a bear together that is sub-par. My shows are 'upscale' juried shows for a reason...... inexpensive bears don't really fit in. I have one artist who makes her own synthetic critters for kids to stuff. They are the perfect price point for kids. The rest of the artist work is just that... artist work.

But for those considering allowing other crafts into the bear show perhaps this is another way to attract more people.... lower priced bears.

When I do craft shows I do indeed have a few lower priced bears. These are usually ornaments, simple in design, unjointed and made of fur that is easy to work with. They always sell out but I can't tell you how many times people new to artist bears have admired my bears, wished they could spend that kind of price then been elated to see the ornaments so they COULD have a handmade bear after all. A couple of those people have become very good collectors of mine. There is a place for this type of item. Fancy bear shows aren't it but perhaps for some shows it would work?

Karen, I'd also be interested in your thoughts on pricing!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Karen, you're killing me! Your experience is invaluable.
I also am not too crazy about the idea of asking the artists to have lower priced items. It would be up to them if they wanted to. I know I would like the idea of being able to offer a few lower priced bears, I'm just not sure I could make them!

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Karen I certainly have to agree with you on choosing the right shows.  There are so many shows that one can do, but I think you do have to pick and choose the ones that work for you.  We did a ton of shows a couple of yrs ago, this gave us the opportunity to check out the different shows and what ones worked for us and what ones didn't.  Now thats not to say if there is a show close to you that you can go to and come home the same day that you shouldn't do it, that keeps your price down.

I also like a show that has an event tied with it.  We really enjoyed the Teddy Bear Artist Invitational show , it's one of those shows that I couldn't call a show I called it an event.  This is such a well organized show and you are treated like a king or queen.  The price is good and there is a wonderful wine and cheese party one night, a big banquet the next night with the show room open for only an hour for the die hard collectors.  Then Sat is the all day show, it's a wonderful experience and you all should try it at least once. 

So most of our shows in the US this yr are tied in with the larger more expensive shows as well, as those are the ones that we did really good at and the collectors were there to buy.

big hugs

Shane

lulubears Posts: 280

For me personally, I would never cross the line and tell an artist how much to price their work for.  Kind of like religion and politics - just don't go there and you won't ever have to regret it!  At last year's shows, we offered a "Great Opportunity Table".  Artists were able to bring 3 of their pieces that hadn't sold for whatever reason, and they were sold at set prices, depending on the size.  This was a win-win situation for both the artists and the collectors, and it certainly didn't hamper the sale of other bears - regardless of their price.  It was totally optional for the artists, so if they weren't comfortable with it - they didn't participate.

One never knows how much work and materials an artist puts into each piece, and they alone must determine the final selling price and be comfortable with it.  I think the savvy businessperson can figure out, however, that if they only have very highly priced pieces on their table, they may have limited their client base.  This could work to the opposite effect if everything is low priced.  People may begin to wonder if there is something wrong and pass them up.

I've found that the most success is found when an artist has a varying price range that caters to most of the collectors that might walk in the door.  These days, most people are not just wandering haplessly into a bear show that sells artist bears.  These people are collectors that know what to expect.  Getting in new collectors is a bonus, and offering them a starting point is a great opportunity not only for them - but the artists.  Not everyone is willing to make "just a bear" and sell it on the same table that they are offering a one of a kind, never to be repeated, high end piece.  It's just not how they are comfortable working. 

I think every promoter would like to be able to produce a show that everyone would go home and rave about.  I think we all make our best attempts to produce first class events, and I'm certainly proud of my accomplishments. They certainly aren't the kind of shows that are "events" by any means, but we have a good time and a lot of bears find homes.   My biggest compliment came from a collector who has been attending our show in Austin since we started it ten years ago.  He told me that even if he couldn't afford to buy a bear he would still come, just so he could watch me having such a good time and hearing me laugh with the others.  I'll never forget his words.  He and his wife buy a lot of bears every year and are already planning for this year's show.

I certainly applaud those that are able to stage the high-end events, as they cost a king's ransom not only to produce, but to be a part of.  It seems that the venues are becoming harder to fill and the hotels continue to raise their costs, making it very difficult to find a decent, yet affordable place to host a show.

Luann

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Sorry for dropping out like that! I'm so busy lately it seems that I only have a few minutes here and there. I'm trying to take this early morning time to catch up  bear_happy
Pricing, difficult subject!
I think a lot of the disagreement has to do with how a teddy bear artist views his/her work. I can only speak from my situation. I approach my cats as an art form. I also realize that if I want to continue my art, I have to be able to make enough money to survive. I truly believe that a price for a piece can not just be pulled out of the air. When I first started selling I carefully calculated my time, materials, overhead (I couldn't include profit at first). The cats were selling very well, but I quickly realized at my beginning prices, I would not be able to support myself. I thought of two directions that my business could take. I could simplify some of my designs and take them to a factory that could mass produce them, leaving me time to work on new designs. At first it seemed like a solution. I even went, as far as, attending a meeting a toy business friend set up for me with a few factory representatives. I asked them a lot of questions and found out that in reality they would just be using me as a filler when they had time and were waiting for their larger jobs. I could see monster headaches and expensive mistakes on the horizon  bear_ermm  Then I thought; what if I went the other way. Really perfect my cats, throw myself fully into work, use all my experience and create something that I would view as some of my best creations. I knew that if this plan was going to work I'd have to approach it as the serious art I wanted it to be. First the work has to be there, but also the presentation has to be reflective of the work and the prices for that work. Not that I'm such a great artist, I'm trying to learn, I watched how other artist/fine craftsmen presented their work. I learned that your name has to be out there. As much as we'd like collectors to just love our work and flock to our tables, many collectors are very careful that an artist is solid; that is to say that the artist takes their work seriously, they are there for the long haul, and, hopefully, their pieces will appreciate in value over the years. This is the type of collector that I needed if I wanted to continue my life's work. I didn't see many serious artists selling  smaller or cheaper versions of their work at art shows and I wanted to approach my teddy bear shows as art shows. I did create some kittens which are less expensive than my large cats thinking it would give beginning collectors something to buy. It made no difference whatsoever; I think by that time I was finding collectors for my cats. When they came to my table they, usually, went for the most expensive pieces first. I'd actually sell out of the larger pieces and have kittens left over. Back to the beginning  bear_grin  This is why I look for the more expensive, event type shows. I know the collectors I am looking for will be at these shows.
Well, that's me. Again, teddy bear artists are individuals. We have all kinds of approaches to our work and lives. It's really fascinating.
P.S. My plan seems to be working. 2006 was my best year ever. I'm working REALLY hard but I'm also enjoying almost every minute of it  bear_wub

Edmonton

Thanks so much Karen, for sharing. I knew you would have an interesting perspective and I think you are spot on.

After only dabbling (as opposed to doing it almost fulltime, which I was for a while) in the bearworld for the last 2 or 3 years, doing only an order here or there because of health issues, I need this year to be different.
I think that you teach people what to expect from you. I have been thinking about this a lot. If they know that a bear from you is not going to come at 50 bucks, then they plan accordingly. I honestly don't want to sell to someone who just doesn't want to go home empty handed so picks the cheapest thing and is happy. I will layaway, I will take installments or whatever they need to get what they really want.

I think Karen is living proof that a decision to control how you are perceived can pay off in a huge way.

I guess I got a little OT there...sorry!

Cheryl
bear_flower

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Karen, thank you. I appreciate your interesting perspective.

I think the one thing we forget, is that is we can get our bears to the 'works of art' stage. Then why not charge for it.

Sometimes when people find out how much my bears, or artists bears sell for, they laugh and can't believe a teddy would sell for so much. "who would buy that?" they always say.
Well, who buys sculptures? Who buys paintings and furniture and figurines. No-one would laugh at me if I said that a painting that took me 20 hours to paint sold for $400.

It's all perception, and of course, you can’t beat having a great product.
I am also going to continue to create the best product I can and just go from there.

JanetandBears Janet Ann Anderson and Bears
Breckenridge, CO
Website

Luann,    I have been reading with great interest about the direction of shows and meant to comment earlier (busy with the incredible winter I am enduring).   I do really like that your show is focused on being an all artist bear show and this is one reason I do like to come to Albuquerque.  Also, it is within driving distance and the only show close enough as there are no more shows in CO except for a doll and bear show in the fall .  (As for that show I mainly sell to bear collectors I invite and there have only been a very few crossovers from the doll people)  I do think you should jury your shows and juried shows are ones I prefer to exhibt in.  I have been at shows where just any one who can make a bear is included and think the poor quality bears really downgrades the show.  There is as has been mentioned a big glut of bear makers now in relation to the number of colectors.  Getting new collectors involved is where it is at and this is going to take a lot of education and publicity by everyone .  I really believe that artist bear shows should be just that and not craft shows, doll shows or other.  People who attend come to see and hopefully purchase a bear as ART and I see the direction of shows elevating the teddy bear as art.  This does not mean all bears have to be expensive on your table but there can be bears within the range of beginning collectors. 
      Event shows are great but often very expensive and I only can afford to do a few.  The best model for what I think an aritist bear show should be is TBAI held in August in Binghamton, NY which I have been involved with for the past 5 years.  It is probably due to the large number of volunteers putting the show together that they are able to keep the cost very reasonable.   So,  I know this show is rarity.
     Having a large inventory of bears for a show is no longer an issue for me.  In the "old days" of bear shows where you sold lots of bears because collectors were buying bags of bears at a show it was important.  Now I see collectors being very selective, not atending as many shows, or buying on the internet so if you only sell a few very special bears at a show that is great.   Shows still fill a need for buyers to see and feel in person plus talk with the aritst..... especially NEW and beginning collectors.
     I hope to bring this topic back to the front because I think it is the biggest issue right now in our industry. 
    Bear Hugs,   Janet

Pages:

Board footer