Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Yes, we have Ribena - never tried it though!!

Oooh I'm a vegimite fan - I think most (not all) Aussies like Vegimite, just because we are brought up on that stuff!!!

Danni  :dance:

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Danni is right...from the time we are babes with no teeth...Vegemite is lightly spread on our teething rusks!! It is very high in vitamins. I love vegemite too...but it is VERY strong. It is best eaten on HOT buttered toast, with a very LIGHT spreading of vegemite. I had a friend who used to spread it on half an inch thick...still makes me gag thinking of that! I think many foreigners who taste Vegemite for the first time don't know HOW to eat it..and possibly try it straight out of the jar...yuk....or spread too thickly. It certainly is an aquired taste though.
Just to add to the subject...there is also Promite...which is Marmites cousin...although most Aussies see Marmite and Promite as cheap imitations...and they definitely do taste different to the real thing.
Re the pronunciation too...we certainly don't pronounce it as VEH-gee- mite. It's definitely Veg-e-mite as in vegetables.

Sarah,
I had a friend from the states post me a heap of Koolaid. She fitted about 30 packets in a standard $5.00 Global envelope. That's $5.00 USD to anywhere in the world. I did note that one of the girls here on TT..Heather maybe?? offered to post some to those of us deprived enough to not have koolaid on our shelves. I think it's just as well..I've heard it's really bad for the teeth! :lol:
You may even find it is still cheaper this way than ordering it from that Aussie website at $1.25 a packet. I had a feeling it's only about 35 US cents in the US...but correct me if I'm wrong girls.
My friend posted me 4 packets of a few different colours to try..just make sure it's the unsweetened one. I made up a jug for my kids..just to try too.
I have wondered about food dyes too...worth a try! I really MUST get some white mohair and get to it!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'll also volunteer to send KoolAid to anybody that doesn't have access to it . . . no problemo.  I'll send the unsweetened powder so that it won't rot your bear's teeth!  It comes in sooooo many colors - uh - flavors!  So just let me know, any of you Aussies, if you would like some!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

thankyou all so much girls  bear_innocent  I will give some things a try before I send for a multitude of Kool Ade lol Dye is $7-8 here so not really bad.  Will look into the dyes they sell especially for fur too.
Anyway, thanks again and will be back in touch, I am astounded by the generosity and friendship here...lovely..thankyou  bear_smile bear_wub bear_laugh :rose:
big hug
sarah

Densteds Densteds
Website

Eileen, yes!! we have Ribena......and hey!! you girls, don't knock the vegemite until you've tried it....might look a little odd but it's yummy!!! and versatile, you can use it for waxing???

just kidding!!! :twisted: :twisted:

hugs,
Denise.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

and versatile, you can use it for waxing???

just kidding!!!

Hah! Denise..you had me goin' there for a minnie! :clap:

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Vegemite verses Marmite...Ummmmmmm!!!!!!
Well being a Brit I would go for marmite although I do have Vegimite in the house as my son likes it.  When I was working at a school for children with special needs we were showing the more able kids how to make toast. The classroom assistant, not knowing marmite, spread it like thick jam....needless to say the toast caused a lot of upset and four kids were actually sick. Marmite should be spread really thin on buttered toast...it is one of those foods that you really love or really hate. Vegimite on the other hand can be spread thicker without the shock of overload.
I'm going now to the kitchen to make toast...marmite is one of those foods that once thought about you have to indulge in.  bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh Yummy!!!!! bear_original bear_original bear_original And no I will not be washing it down with Ribena, I hate the stuff!

Jane

taralee teds Taralee Teds
south australia

Just had to jump into this conversation....there is nothing better than really fresh white bread, buttered with a reasonable amount of Vegimite.. not too much, just enough LOL. YUMMO!!!

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Okay..back to this ole subject!  :rolleyes:
I tried the food dye and it works, but the backing fabric comes out white or very lightly of the colour you dye the fur..it is really obvious and doesn't look too great.  bear_ermm  :(
So I've gone and bought a huge pack of mixed dye from a mohair wholesaler.  Should have fun with it!  :dance: I hope.  If anyone wants to know where I got it from you can email me...I don't know if I should write it here lol, but it was a great deal at $4 a pack!  cool huh!
beary hugs
sarah  bear_flower

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Hey Sarah and any other Aussie gals, try www.usafoods.com.au, they are here in victoria, you can get a pack of 6 kool aids for $5.00 or $1.25 each.   Take a look  :dance:

Board footer