Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Deb Upstate New York

Are these the markers you guys are referring to?  http://www.currys.com/markers/prodinfo1 … 3&catID=26

Are they permanent?  Lightfast?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Those are the ones and yes, they are permanent.  As far as being lightfast . . . I started using them in 1999, and a bear that I gave my husband that year still has its shading.  So, I guess it will last for at least 6 years - and they are non-toxic.  This bear isn't in direct light, but then most bears won't be (I hope!).
P.S.  Don't order them from that site . . . did you notice that they don't ship to the US?

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Deb, love your little girl, she looks like she was unjustly sat in the corner for something she never did.  (probably the gollies did it)

Aww little teddikins, I can relate, I always got in troube for stuff I never did too...of course, I can't blame them, given al the stuff I did do I was a logical suspect!  bear_grin bear_grin bear_grin

bear_tongue

Deb Upstate New York

SueAnn ~ Thank you!  I wasn't going to order there ... just found the picture.  Are there other brands that behave similarly? 

Dilu ~ Don't let that sweet expression fool you!  She could probably run with the gollies.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

I'm going to guess that the permanent fabric markers you can find at most craft stores (Hobby Lobby, Michael's, etc.) will perform much the same way.  Not sure that they will have a blender, but you can always get the Prismacolor blender.  Or maybe the Copic pens work in the same manner and they DO have a blender.

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Deb
I found the Prisma colours I needed at Michaels. Do you have one near you?
Hugs
Gail

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

I found an online source for Prismacolor AND Copic markers at the cheapest prices I've ever seen!!  The website is www.carpediemstore.com.

Deb Upstate New York

Gail ~ I do!  It's my home away from home.  bear_laugh ;)

SueAnn ~ I'm gonna check that site out tomorrow.  Can't sleep tonight; was up for some hot milk ... maybe some green tea.  Nighty-night.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

My friend bought a bear that was airbrushed with copic marker and it's fading.  She keeps her bears in a room with no direct sunlight (and very little light at all - it's essentially in a basement). 

Like Sue Ann, I've never had a problem with prisma color.

Deb Upstate New York

Interesting! 

Hey, Judi Airbrush Paul, how about airbrush colors?  Any fading with the acrylic colors?  Do they need to be heat set at all?  I have some golden liquid acrylics here I keep thinking about.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

DEB!!!!! That little girl on your avatar is just way too cute!!!!!  When did she come about!?

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals
http://www.picturetrail.com/bastadolls

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Melissa,
You may want to suggest to your friend that has the fading copic airbrushed bear to use a hairdryer on it to heat set the ink so it stops fading.
Donna

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Sue Ann   

Thank you thank you thank you.... :dance:

I added that web site to favorites- great to have.  Don't need any right now, but you are right, prices are great!

Dilu

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Deb, I am not a fan of Copic markers for airbrushing.  They are gunky and leave a residue feeling.

I use high quality acrylic paints.  They are colorfast and do need to be heat set.  I have just airbrushed an entire piece...I will share when he is done....and it feels like nothing has been done to him when I pet him.

Airbrushing does need to be applied properly, in very fine layers, otherwise it could gunk up and not feel nice.  I like my airbrushing to blend into my work.

As far as types /brands of paints..I like Liqutex concentrated colors.  These need to be reduced with water and in some cases, like when using Raw Umber, it needs to be strained.  Some pigments tend to be gritty, like the brown shades.

Createx and Dyna Flow paints are designed for airbrushing.  I still water them down because I like to work fine.

The Prisma color Markers are also very nice.  They won't give you the same effect as as airbrushing but for many effects they work very well.  I prefer Prisma over Copic and would never use Copic for airbrushing.  Copic, I have found, work okay for hand tinting but are a bit heavy.  Also, Shelli's method of dry brsuhing with oils works beautifully too.

Deb Upstate New York

Thank you Judi!  I have some Liquitex, Golden, and some DynaFlo acrylics here.  I'll start practicing.  I did try them once on some mohair for practice, but color faded.  However, I did NOT heat set.  I did do in the very fine layers tho.  Heat set every layer?  I tried Shelli's oil paint suggestion and loved it, except that I used my stenciling oils which are already on the very dry side.  They worked great.  I also picked up a Prismacolor marker to try.

Thanks again!

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Thanks Donna - I'll pass that on...

and thanks Judi too!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

You're very welcome ladies. bear_original :hug:

Deb, no need to heat set every layer.  Heat set with a hair dryer after you are finished painting. bear_thumb

Deb Upstate New York

Judi ~  :hug:

Thank you!

Nancy D Dog Patch Critters
Titusville, FL
Website

I see several referances to heat setting. I'm getting ready to use the blow dryer on a little bit of shading with a prisma marker. How long does it take to heat set?

Mowfi Newcastle, Tyne and Wear

im in the process of doing my very first bear, and im learning fast through trial and error where trapunto pads and claws are concerned, i was wondering about shading and this might seem like a really stupid question but if you use the crayons,pens,markers etc do u use them on the fabric itself (underneath the fur) or on the top where the fur lies? Im only thinking of shading around the mouth area.
Also where claws are concerned....would you recommend adding the fabric stabilizer (working with faux fur)  AFTER the claws have been set?

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

When I shade a bear I use the markers (I use prisma) on the fur itself, prismacolor has a blender pen that helps to blend in the color, this to me is a must. 
Claws, I make them twice as long as I need them with points and both ends.  I use a small awl to make a hole deep into the the spot where I want it to be.  I place a drop of superglue gel on top of that hole, and bury the claw into it. The claw grabs the glue on the way in. Makes them very secure. When working with faux fur, if I has a knitted back, it is  lined at the beginning. If you bury the claws into the stuffing, they won't move.
Joanne

Mowfi Newcastle, Tyne and Wear

thanks joanne, that really has helped a lot, my brain was beginning to go to mush on this.  I have been trying to add the claws after sewing the legs together hahhaha, and going in from the non fur side, never thought of doing it your way but your way DOES make a great deal of sense, also thanx for the info on the shading, i havent attempted that as yet, seems a bit daunting but i might practise first i think
Dee

Board footer