Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Melbear Melbear's Quality Collectibles
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Well I got and order from my website and sent it off last week.. the fellow received it
today and send me this...   " I was expecting “Fluffy” to be just that, fluffy.  Instead “Fluffy” has a
rigid insides or framework. Is it possible to exchange this “Fluffy’ for a soft and pliable “Fluffy”?"

Are most artist bears stuffed quite firmly? lol... I know some people make soft squishy critters..
but I prefer mine to be stuffed so they keep shape well.
Anyone ever have this one happen.. lol. I just told the person that I don't make "pliable bears"
and if he wants to return it I will give him a refund.. I didn't know what else to say.

Bear Hugs!
Melanie

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Hi Melanie,

Yep we stuff our bears like bricks, thats the way we have always done and we have tried to do a soft cuddly stuffed one but just can't seem to do it.

We have had people write to us about how hard the bear is stuffed once they received it, they just weren't expecting it but liked it non the less.   I think with agreeing to take the bear back and refund their money is a good step, that way they can't complain. Just make sure to tell them you won't be refunding them the cost of them shipping the bear back to you.

big hugs

Shane

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I am with Shane.  I stuff mine very firmly.  I like them stuffed firmly, I think they display better, and besides - they aren't a child's toy!!!  I know people here don't stuff firmly - so there's no right and wrong, but that's just how I feel.

I would point out that a lot of artists stuff firmly, they aren't chldren's toys.  You will offer  a replacement if you're OK with that.
I always point out that my bears are stuffed firmly in their descriptions - so no-one can complain once the bear is received.
Danni

Jodi Falk Bears by Jodi
Gahanna , Ohio USA

Sounds like the guy has never bought an artist bear. Mine are firm also. Thats strange. I had some one tell me before it wasn't what she expected. and left it at that. I went back to look at the e bay listing and the pictures were right on , good color very clear and description exactly what she got. She didn't ask for her money back but I wasn't sure what to do , I could not figure out what she expected !! It was 2 bears and she got the best deal in town on it . I did a special for the holidays and let it go really cheep. SOOOOOOO I guess things like that happen . But that was the first time in 17 years !!! Don't feel bad, he is just not used to an artist bear. And maybe my person wasn't either.

Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Yeah, in the years I've been making bears I've rarely come across someone thinking a bear
was stuffed to hard.... I've had people request soft stuffed bears, which if the design allows I
am more than happy to make it that way. .... I remember the running joke we had at this one
show with this gal who stuffed her bears so hard I told her they could be used as a
weapon.. heehee... "look out or she'll club you with one of her bears" heehee. good thing she
had a sense of humor.

Anyway, I'd make him a soft one but it won't turn out like the picture and that is what he wants.
I think I will add that to my website that all my critters are stuffed firmly... just in case someone
else ever has an issue with being to "rigid".. hehe.. I probably shouldn't find that funny.. but
I've never had someone say my bears were not "pliable".... lol.

I'm waiting to hear from him now to see if he wants to return it or not.
Bear Hugs!
Melanie

sarahjane Brisbane

bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Yes mine are stuffed very firmly as well...I always worry that they will 'droop' over a period of time if I don't stuff them firmly enough... bear_ermm

Pumpkin & Pickle Bears Pumpkin & Pickle Bears
East Sussex

What the HELL did this guy think he was buying??!  bear_wacko

I stuff all of my bears firmly (unless I'm making a 'floppy' bear). When you go to a big show like Hugglets I would say that 90% of the bears for sale are firmly stuffed......I think it's quite rare to find a softly stuffed artist bear! Silly man!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
Pumpkin & Pickle Bears wrote:

What the HELL did this guy think he was buying??!  :wacko:

:crackup:  :crackup:

I don't stuff rock hard but I do stuff hard -- when I think of a soft squishy bear, I think of a manufactured bear but maybe that is just me...

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

sounds like we all stuff firmly. I think that's a nice difference between artist bears and the manufactured ones.
geesh

and if you're not sleeping with them in bed at night, why does he care?

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
psichick78 wrote:

Good point, good point!

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

OOOps! I nolonger stuff as firmly as I use to. They arent what I'd call squishy but they do have a wee bit of give in them. Then each critter gets what is needed for him. Some are hard ,some are firm and some are soft.
MMMmmmm??? I'm glad this came up because I dont say  how they are stuffed to my customers.
Will have to change that from now on.  I really didnt think it actually mattered. But I seem to be wrong on this point.
WEndy

Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website

Well I have a feeling this guy does not know what an artist bear is..... but who knows..
I have not heard back from him yet..
Bear Hugs!
Melanie

Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website
Ellen Borggreve wrote:

My animals are stuffed quite firmly, not as rock hard as I used to though.

I had a customer just like that Melanie, that wanted to have the double neck joint removed (she thought is was not soft enough) and wanted to have half of the stuffing removed as well, then she also wanted to have the poor bear altered from girl into boy....I'm not into that kind of surgery, so I did not go along with her wishes and said she could send the bear back. If someone is going to buy my work, then they should understand that my creations feel as I like them to feel. I wonder what Vincent van Gogh would have thought if someone had sent him back his sunflower painting telling him that they liked roses much better....It would have depressed the poor man even more.... bear_happy

Ellen :rose:

Ugh, so she wanted you to mutilate your critter.. ack! Yeah, I would have done the same thing.. So did
she send it back? I don't think alot of people think of our art as what it is ART.

Bear Hugs!
Melanie

Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website
psichick78 wrote:

sounds like we all stuff firmly. I think that's a nice difference between artist bears and the manufactured ones.
geesh

heehee, maybe he is wanting to sleep with it.. heehee.

Hugs!
Melanie

Spruce Grove, Alberta
Website
Pumpkin & Pickle Bears wrote:

What the HELL did this guy think he was buying??!  :wacko:

Lol.. maybe I should ask him  bear_grin heehee

Hugs!
Melanie

Board footer