Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, horses are the most gorgeous animals . . . I think they are majestic!!  And they ARE extremely receptive to training.  Did anyone see The Horse Whisperer?  Besides having my main man Robert Redford (sigh - be still my heart!) in it, it starred a super horse actor . . . very effective!

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

The miniature donkeys are adorable.  They are short and round with big ears.  They are small but they definitely have the "jack ass" attitude.  My friend got them when they were just old enough to be separated from their mother.   At first my friend drove them on the long lines with out a cart.  Then she added the harness.  Then we had to get them use to hearing the cart coming up behind them.  So picture this - Suzie drove the donkey in full harness with the long lines while I followed behind pulling the cart.  Eventually we hitched them to the cart but walked behind the cart.  Neither one of us is brave enough to actually get in the cart at this point.  We have had a variety of adventures with the other scenarios and don't need anything broken.  Did I mention the cart had to be welded back together after one outing.  I'm the only friend Suzie has that is crazy enough to enjoy this.
I don't have any digital pictures of them.  But I will post them when I do.

Sandi

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Can't wait to see them!!!

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

allbearstandaug.jpgI am to take about 9 bears to a show.  That's all!  I struggle to get 'em all finished in time and so some at shows, only half a dozen furry bums take their positions. bear_happy 

I have my stand purpose built for that many bears and of course, I only make big bears!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Well, but you'll sell all nine, I'm sure!!  GREAT looking table, Paula!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I think so, too -- Great table!

Paula, we are cut from the same (mohair, no doubt) cloth.  I myself make bears excruciatingly slowly... and that's not ALL due to being distracted by design programs and teddy talk forums!  It just takes me a long time to craft each one; I can work 6-8 hours per day for 2, 3, or even 4 days -- and on rare occasion, even longer than that, if you add in shopping for just the "right" accessory, or time to craft it by hand -- to make a single bear.

So in doing my first show, I needed MONTHS to prepare, and ended up with only a small handful of critters to take with me.  Like you, they're all fairly large (14-20" or so.)  At least, at that size, it fills a table nicely!

I'm sure you'll sell out right off!

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

skelm.jpgI couldn't resist writing with all that talking of donkeys and  horses.. I grew up with horses, sharing my Mum and Gran's love of horses, and was lucky enough to have two horses when I was in my teens (not at the same time).  My last horse was called Skelm which is South African for Little Rascal and he certainly was with his Huge big eyes... he was such a character and was incredibly intelligent.  He loved having his photo taken, the moment he saw the camera he would position himself so he looked all perfect and stood there head held proudly --without me holding onto him - such a poser bear_original  I know this is going off the teddy subject but I thought you might like to see a photo of me and Skelm at a cross country competition.

Horsey Hugs,
Catherine

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Gorgeous photo, Catherine, and what a lucky girl you are to have grown up knowing horses. 

How old were you in that picture... somewhere around 13?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

LLLOOOOOVVE the photo, Catherine!!  I am sooooo jealous that you had horses growing up!  I've wanted them all my life, but it was never to be, I guess. bear_sad  You and Skelm show wonderful form and you are quite the cutie!!

Kent
Website

Lovely pic Catherine!  You look so professional!

As for selling out my table, those heavenly days could sure do with making a comeback!  Shows in the UK are painfully slooooooowwwww right now ... although having said that, we had a sellout show in Kensington in February.  It was just like old times -lovely and buzzy!  I do very few shows these days and suddenly realised that I had only booked two for this year!  I gave myself a talking to and now I have added another couple for the end of the year. bear_laugh

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Paula!

I just wondered, with me doing my first show in my home town in October, if you had any tips to give??   I am a bit worried about credit card payments (should I sell anything!!) but you know what I mean!!  I haven't got any way of taking them - I suppose that's that, but it concerns me.

I'm so a visitor and not an exhibitor, please, any tips would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

Catherine - beautiful picture.   Do you still ride?  I belonged to a stable for about 20 years.  Sadly a couple of years ago I lost my long time friend.  Sambo was 32 years old so he lived a long happy life.  He was quite a character and was a real favorite of the kids at the stable.  Every Christmas the stable had a "Christmas Drill".  It was like what the Royal Canadian Mounted Police do.  Sambo and I always were last.  We had the responsibility of finishing the figure and getting out of the way of the next figure coming up.  He knew his job and every trick in the book for spreading out and closing up that line.   Sorry to ramble on but your beautiful picture brought back so many memories.

Back to the teddies - Your bears are wonderful.  I look forward to seeing them in Kennebunk. 

Paula - your bears and display are fabulous.

Sandi

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

What a beautiful photo Catherine!  Thanks for sharing.

good luck with the show Paula.  I'm sure you'll be a hit!! Let us know how you get along!

Danni

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Clare,
I didn't take credit cards the first two years I did shows. Not all artists do so this shouldn't be much of surprise to your customers. Most will have a check or money in hand to give you. If you take paypal on the internet you could always take a small cash deposit from them at the show, send them a paypal invoice when you get home and once paid ship the bear to them...free shipping perhaps if that helps save the sale. Or, where this is in your home town perhaps you can hand deliver once the bear is paid for in full.

I remember being so nervous at my first show. Everyone warned me not to expect to sell anything but to think of it as exposure and getting my feet wet. I listened to 'lookers' comments and made note of which bears drew the most attention so I'd know what direction to head in with my bears. I really learned soo much at my first couple of shows!!!

Just relax and have fun... that's what teddy bears are all about!!! They're meant to make you feel good!!!

Good luck!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes!
Hugs,
Daphne

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Catherine, in case you haven't noticed, none of us follow the rules here, and boy am I glad!
I love the photo you posted of your horse. 

Aren't our 4 legged furbabies fascninating-  they are so smalrt ( well except for Suki my female Burmese cat.......it's bad, very bad.....She is soo dumb she would have to climb out of a 10 foot hole just to be considered dumb)

I love that they have specific personalities, likes and dislikes, and can make us do things just because they want too.  My fine feathered friend Kirah is psychic.....and loves to have her name used in silly little songs.  I buy her fisher price baby toys because she likes to make the lights go and the songs sing....like a baby would!

Suki's brother Kwatzu is as smart as she is dumb, and he and the Parrot work in collusion together.

Also we have had to turn the door handles around so the locks are on the outside of the rooms because he likes to open the doors and carouse at night.  And doesn't he think he's special!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

cats-in-the-washer-23.jpgDilu's favorite cat picture.....I took laundry outside to hang up-( I actually like to hang up the laundry during the summer-call me old fashioned)

When I came back in they had already climbed in and were feeling pretty smart till I started the rinse and fluff cycle! :lol:

Oh you sillies....I was just teasing, butI did shut the door and take a quick picture.

Now I always make sure the door is closed before I leave the area.....I would hate to have a for real accident with one of them......yikes!:(

I did laught my self silly

ok

sillier

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

WHat a GREAT photo, Dilu!!  Cute kitties!!

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Cute photo Dilu, I too have two daft cats and I check the washing machine every time (I once heard of a poor kitten getting 'washed' in a washing machine!)  As for my photo of my horse and I, I was actually around 18 years old then, I'm rather a little bod!.

Good luck with the fair in October Clare.  I'm nervous about the fair that Daphne is doing with my bears and Danni's and I will not even be there.  So I can totally understand you feeling worried, but I'm sure it will be just great.

Catherine

clare14 Country Bears
England

Ahh thanks for that Daphne and Catherine,

I keep thinking about it and my tummy lunges, but I'm sure once I'm there I'll be fine!!   Good advice about the credit card/paypal, although I may not sell a thing, but the experience will be fantastic!!   I'm going to practice my table before I go.

Good luck you gals with the show, I'm sure you'll have a totally clear table at the end, and well deserved too!!

I'll be certain to let you know how I got on, and thank you so much for all your lovely advice:)

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

I had such anxiety at my first show, I threatened to spend the whole day in the ladies' room, but my hubby talked me out of it!  It's a fact that the first few shows are frightening, but, hey . . . all the people that are in that showroom are teddy bear lovers, so how bad can it really be?  Hang in, girls, and it will be a piece of cake not too long from now!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I just did my first show in April and I was nervous as all get out but I just FORCED myself to say, "Hi!" to all the scary people I'd read about, but never met -- Denis Shaw, John Paul Port, Lori Leeper, Joan Woessner -- plus just basically making friends with anyone and everyone at the show (promoters, hubbys along for the ride, collectors, etc.)  And it was an absolute blast!  I really, truly had a great, great time.  You settle into it after a while.  Try to enjoy the ride; it's worth it.

Kent
Website

Hi Clare,

My tips for your first show are:

1. Allow plenty of time.
2. Make yourself a check list to make sure you don't forget anything.
3. Put 'sweeties' at the top of the check list! ;)
4. Be friendly to your neighbouring tables as soon as you arrive.  Don't wait to be smiled at - smile first! :)
5. If you have the facility to take credit cards, it certainly is a bonus but it's a financial investment to set-up so make sure you are happy to take on the outlay.
6. Decide in advance what terms you are prepared to offer trade buyers and DON'T LET THEM BULLY YOU!
7. Decide in advance whether you are prepared to offer layaway on show sales.  Personally, I don't.

Hope they help to start with!  Good luck! bear_laugh

clare14 Country Bears
England

Paula, thank you so much!!   I'm lucky to know Jo Vernalls (Bears of Grace) and she will be close by.....................Phew!!   I've heard her talk about trade buyers, she has tried to explain to me how that works, but to be honest I haven't a clue.   How do you suggest I tackle one (should I get one at all??!)   but I'm a real softie and could get talked into anything!!:rolleyes:

Thanks, I really do appreciate your advice.

Board footer