Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Luckily my husband was off from work on Monday and I spent the whole day shut in my bedroom (away from the kids) and only came out for the neccessities  bear_grin .  When I finished I did feel disappointed at the end - I know its a childrens book and had to end that way but I wish she did an alternative adult version.  We did seem to spend more time in the forests than was necessary and not enough time at Hogwarts at the end. Also we find out that ...... becomes a teacher at Hogwarts, but I would also like to know what the rest of the kids did when they grew up - probably working for Ministry of Magic.

There was no major 'oh no' at any of the deaths for me although the couple that died was such a shame leaving an orphan behind (Harry was a great choice as GF).  The burial was sad but didn't upset me as much as when we lost Dumbledore & Sirius(I have read both books 4 times and I still need a box of tissues near me!)  bear_cry  I don't think the film of Sirius's death was quite so shocking as the book although I did have a small tear in the cinema!  :redface:

Brenda, JKR admits that it was Mr Weasley that got the reprieve in The Order of the Phoenix - she was going to kill him off. Glad she didn't - I LOVE the Weasleys.  bear_wub 

Cheryl, my daughter will be 10 next week (aaahhhh !!!!!!!!) She also couldn't be 'bothered' with the books, but she has seen all the dvds of Harry Potter so far.  I go and see them at the cinema first and vet them for her first (my excuse  bear_grin).   I think some of the Dr Who series have scared her more! HP certainly shows kids that good wins in the end and also that its cool to wear glasses, be ginger or prefer brains over frills! Can't be bad.

Anyway, what do we read next any thoughts?  I've been told Tunnels by Gordon & Williams is the next big thing, anyone read this?

Hugs Ali x (one potty Potter fan)

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

I read it once on the way to the San Jose show and once on the way home. Loved it. Thought JKR tied up all the loose endings very nicely -- though you're right, the sword did pop up out of no where. Maybe the goblins brought it back in the final charge? I'll have to check that part again. I started blubbering in the airport when the first (nonhuman) character died in the first chapter, and pretty much kept at it through two flights, an extended layover, and 700-odd pages.

The point of the ending was that JKR wanted to make sure no one could go back and write a sequel after she dies (ala "Gone with the Wind"). So she tried to secure the ending against later additions. It's kinda hokey, but it's nice, too. This is a children's book.

I may have to re-read the whole series now that I know the ending. :)

I love that there's all this hype and fuss over a BOOK. Does my bibliophile soul good.

Cheers!
Mindy

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Mindy's last line made me think of this little news clip I saw a few nights ago....thought I'd share it! (Forgive the 10 second commercial you have to sit through....don't you just hate those things??!)

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3399202

:hug:
~Chrissi

sarahjane Brisbane

I have just finished it. Having bought it and then refused to let the kids read it first!!  bear_grin  bear_grin

I loved every bit of it including the end...I am a sucker this sort of ending and I think JKR did a wonderful job of tying up all the loose ends!!

I have now gone back to the first one and started the series again!!  bear_grin

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I guess I need to read these books, I have seen the movies and have them on DVD and love to watch them over.

Annnik JustMerde
Bells & Sherman, Texas
Website

My take on the sword...

The goblins got it.  BUT THEN, a true Gryffindor was in need of it, so it came to him/her... just as it did for Harry in the Chamber of Secrets.

I enjoyed the ending.  I think I would have enjoyed it no matter who lived/died/married or who was good/evil/etc...

K Pawz Guest

okay okay...I have to admit, that I took time like Cheryl to finish as well!! Stolen chapters here and as rewards
I thought it was pretty good, although it did seem to skip over quite a few things rather quickly which left me turning the pages and rereading to see if I missed something....I wondered as well about the sword but you guys are right!! And I have to say that I am so happy that * was a member of DA and the Order after all!!! I would never have guessed that turn of events.

I now wait the last Eragon book, I started reading them after the Order of the Phoenix while waiting for the other books and they are truly better than the movie! Another magical story teller.

Hugs,
Krista

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I love the Eragon books as well and am waiting the next one.
If you want to try something new though - I'm almost finished "Aeldenwood" by M.G. Belanger. He's a new fantasy writer (1st book) and this will be a series of 5 in all. the second one is already out. I'm very impressed by his writing - and I read enough fantasy to compare writers, believe me!   :dance:

Marion

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I've finally read it! I had to get bears made for shows and orders and I wouldn't allow myself to purchase it and be tempted, but I bought it the day I left for the show. (I never can sleep well when I'm out of town, so I thought I could read!)

Well, I LOVED it! I loved the whole series. I want to read them all again, too.The ending was just fine in my book, but then I'm a happily ever after kind of gal. That's probably why I enjoy children's literature so much. I walked around in a blue funk the whole day after I finished book six because my beloved favorite character had died. I'm so glad Harry and we readers got to visit him one more time.  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I loved the latest Harry Potter book - loved them all in fact. Yes, it was great the way she tied so many things up and I do love a happy ending too - plus I did see it as making it so no one else could carry the story on. I don't think she will either as what more could she do that she hasn't already done - to write more on this or about the next generation would have to be all so repetitious of what's been done already and all the originality of it would be gone. I was so sure all along that D wouldn't be wrong about * (even when it sure seemed at times that he was!) so I was glad that worked out that way! Took me a while to get this one done as I went back and reread the Half Blood Prince first as I didn't think I could remember everything that happened in it after watching the latest movie.

Board footer