Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

I have to admit, I was thinking of Barbara Ann (and Georgene Palka) when I wrote that last bit. They both have unusual styles, but worn with panache.

Hmm... Perhaps we need to have Goth Day at a show and invite all the local middle schoolers to attend. We'd all wear black leather and chains, and instead of painting bear faces on children we'd do faux tattoos. Surely you can all make punk teddies with mohawks? I'll have to talk to Cindy Malchoff about the theme for TBAI 2009...

Mindy

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website
MKinsey/TBF wrote:

. Just one question, Kelly: the cats tend to squirm a bit, making it hard to type. Do you settle them down with sleeping pills in their milk or a bop to the head?

Mindy, call me old-fashioned, but my momma aways swore by a dab of catnip behind each ear and the old kibble-in-the-cleavage trick.

my pet raccoons, however, were a little harder to train. . .

Me_ready_for_winter_sm.jpg

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_laugh   Oh Ellen, I'm so glad I'm not the only one to do 'free comedy shows'.   :redface:

...and Kelly Dean.... ahhhhh, the bears I could make from that coat!!!   bear_wub  Ooooh, droooool!!!!  bear_wub

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

and the old kibble-in-the-cleavage trick.

I veer toward my own garden pickings - a fresh sprig of Lavender or Lemon Verbena tucked inside. Even if no one else smells it, I do and it makes me feel better about myself. 
I SOOO dislike ppl who douse themselves too liberally with scent of any kind, especially men - who traditionally apply with their hands rather than the application methods of women.
It's then on everything that men touch: my hand after shaking hands, my business cards and my bears!! They need to stay out in the open in an enclosed porch to air for a week or two after being at a show.

Narrowsburg, New York
Website
rkr4cds wrote:

and the old kibble-in-the-cleavage trick.

I SOOO dislike ppl who douse themselves too liberally with scent of any kind, especially men - who traditionally apply with their hands rather than the application methods of women.

sheesh!  these men have obviously never seen Holly Hunter in 'Broadcast News' or they would know that you're supposed to spray the air and dash throught it!

preferably in a good lippy and flats  ;-)

Lancaster PA

During my second year of college, my roommate and I both used the 'spray and dash' method of perfume application. Unfortunately, neither of us liked the other's choice of perfume -- and the combination was noxious. We had to keep the window open for much of the year.

While I agree that a stem of lavendar tucked into one's cleavage is quite nice, I think it's less likely to pacify a wiggly cat -- which is what Kelly and I were initially debating. Thus the kibble comment. (I'm still working on a come-back regarding raccoons. I was laughing so hard I just couldn't think!)

I certainly hope all of this proved useful to Karen when she was packing her bags for Florida -- I can't wait to see the photos from that show!

bear_original Mindy

Narrowsburg, New York
Website

I admit that wearing real fur can be tricky - I mean, the timing alone.  . wasn't it Emily Post who said 'never wear ocelot until October' ? . . . but you can find out a little bit about the process if you follow this link :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_6lYUGQVhM

Lancaster PA

:crackup:   :crackup:   :crackup:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ha!  Nice video, Mr. Dean.

I'm afraid the world isn't ready for me in just a lippy and flats -- hysterical, Paula... and a comment I'm really trying hard not to ask more about  :twisted:  -- so when I show, I go for comfort (those are some long days) and presentation.  I want to be me, with that little extra bit of polish.  Cause, ya know... at home, I work in flannel jammies with little cows on them.

As for wearing live cats as stoles... Hmmm.  What with the number of dogs I know attend shows, that would be quite a thing to see, indeed.  Do tell....  Does claw-scratched neck flesh GO with a tiara??

bear_tongue

Lancaster PA

This is exactly why I was asking about sleeping pills in the milk! Not that I don't trust Kelly's mother's catnip-and-kibble method, but when a day stretches past a certain number of hours, even the most amiable abyssinian or relaxed ragdoll is bound to become restless! And while coordinating with the tiara isn't an issue -- with a bit of the afore-mentioned panache one can wear one's tiara in any situation -- it is difficult to remove blood from fur.

Narrowsburg, New York
Website

:redface:  well, to be perfectly fair, I was talking about Karen's cats, which are, as life-like as they look, not real cats. . .are they??  :pray:

but you know me, I'm game to try anything once and if ya'll wanna wear live pets to shows, I'll run with the pack.  (and I'll sure have to run.  I've got a pair of year-old-beagle-mix boys and run is all they do).

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

I wouldn't be too quick to make insinuations about Karen's cats being too real Mr. Dean. I'd still like to know just where you got that ostrich!  :crackup:

Marion

Lancaster PA

And here I had a perfectly good quip about the appropriateness of using angora cats all ready to go ... although I'm not sure my "pawmina"/pashmina thing was going to work. Good thing you cut through the silliness, there, Kelly. I will henceforth refrain from wearing real cats and garb myself strictly in artificial felines of Karen's design. Given that I only own one, however, it may be a somewhat skimpy outfit appropriate only for shows held in the southern climes. I suppose I could round it out with lippy and flats. And the tiara? It's not real in the sense of diamonds, but it is genuine vintage prom princess headgear.

Narrowsburg, New York
Website

. . . but all in all, I think this was a pretty good thread.  We've learned a lot about appropriate show attire, we've learned a new word, 'lippy' -  and I'm sure when word gets out about Paula's new show attire, we'll see a marked increase in show attendance.

and we now know why everyone's been hanging around Bobbie's booth, saying 'do you smell lemons??? 

and we've learned what I've suspected all along. .

our miz Mindy was a prom queen!!!

I'd like a show of hands here. .. who else has a tiara hidden in the closet???  I'm seeing a tiara challenge here

and we haven't talked about what not to wear, but let me state here that if we catch you wearing sweats & a t-shirt, you'll be force to wear a live cat!

and I'm still loving the idea of a kitten tiara, although I agree it's probably not the appropriate choice if you're wearing flats.  :crackup:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I just hope when Karen comes back she posts pictures of what she ended up in!  Has anyone mentioned yet how incredibly unfair it is that she's at a Disney resort and we're not?  It IS, after all, the happiest place on earth.  No matter WHAT she's wearing!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

if you're wearing flats.

Just so long as they're not 'WHITE" as it's not past Memorial Day...yet...

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

rkr4cds wrote:

if you're wearing flats.

Just so long as they're not 'WHITE" as it's not past Memorial Day...yet...

I thought you could wear white shoes after Easter and not after Labor Day.  Maybe that's for down south.

Narrowsburg, New York
Website
SueAnn wrote:

I thought you could wear white shoes after Easter and not after Labor Day.  Maybe that's for down south.

I think that's only when you're wearing them with a white belt and a polyester leasure suit. . . but that might be only for Cleveland. . .  :crackup:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

kellydean wrote:

I think that's only when you're wearing them with a white belt and a polyester leasure suit. . . but that might be only for Cleveland. .

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

OHH! What a Show!!
My report will come soon! But OHHH what a show! A lot happened. I agonized over the clothes. How do you dress for 90 degree weather? No furs, but I managed. But clothes weren't that important we really all got together at this show.  I was there Thursday through Monday and I never got to bed before midnight. A lot happened. I'll have a full report after I get the photos together bear_thumb  I may have to leave out some of the action  bear_rolleyes
Karen
P.S. Mindy, Kellie was great  bear_thumb

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Ya know Karen if you leave out any of the action pictures that only makes it worse.  If you won't post them trust me I know people who likely have the same pictures and it's funny how freely they will give over black mail pictures  bear_whistle  bear_whistle .

Big hugs and can't wait to hear all about the show

Shane

Board footer