Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pipa UK

Polo2.jpgHas anyone ever had knocking cats?? let me tell you the story..

our next door neighbours cat..has cleverly discovered that if he use the front door knocker (which he can reach if he stretches up to it) he has discovered all he has to do is knock with the knocker and we come to the door.. he did it once ages  and ages ago. and then he would do it once in a bluue moon, well this past week he has been knocking on the door all the time !!!!  :D

i dread to think if he starts knocking on the door through the night, you see the trouble is we feed him, so now he knows he knocks..we open the door..he gets fed..or he knocks,.,we open the door and he walks in.. he is such a character  he left us a wonderful present of a bird wih no head yesturday (a starling) ..we often find mice.. well half a mouse.. the back legs and the tail is all thats left sometimes...   :/

we got some fish & chips delivered last week and the guy delivering them said "your cat just kncoked on the door" everyone that comes to the house thinks he is our cat because the minute someone comes to the door, he sits and waits to get in.. very cute..

anyway had to share my story of the knocking cat. here is a pic too !
his name is Polo and we love him like he was one of our own  bear_original (yes he gets in the house.he even sleeps on the chairs. and loves to play with my kitty ! )

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Tha's wonderfully hilarious.Polo looks just like my cat Cassie. She has knocked with her paws but we don't have a knocker,just goes to show how smart cats are.Do you neighbours know about this and that he goes into your house because I get really worried when Cassie doesn't respond when I call her.We live in the country so I worry when she's out.That never stops her from disappearing though...hmmm,wonder if she is in a neighbours house  bear_grin  bear_grin

Pipa UK

Hi Shari, cats are so smart !! Oh our neighbrous dont let him in thier house. in fact they dont fed him. the lady knows he comes in our house and that we feed him she just laughs and says he's cheeky... we even put his collars on. i dont think she cares to be honest because they dont get in her house. from the day she got him at 7 weeks he was put out on the street all day and night. whenever he is fighting with other cats it's always us that opens our door to save him. they dont bother,  he doesnt even goto them when they call his name he just sits and looks at us, i dont think he evens looks at them as his owner anymore he just think's he's a cat that live on the street. he doent like to stay indoors too long because he's 7 now and spent his whole life outdoors,

we told his owner once a year or so back we thought he had an abcess on his tail. so she took him to the vets and they lanced it (it was an abcess) the minute they got him home she let him out..she told us the vet said that was fine to let him out..i dont think so. fresh from the vet with a huge open wound on his tail (you ever saw a lanced abcess you know what i mean ) they dont care about him one bit so over time he's just come to look to us now, and id ont think she minds us "adopting" him as such because it means she doesnt have to buy food, she tells us she feeds him in the morning but i dont know how because he sleeps outside our front door all day or sits on our kitchen window mewoing for food , and he is at the door for 8am waiting for his breakfast and he doesnt eat like a cat that has just been fed, he eats like a cat that doesnt get fed,

Oh i would worry about my cats too if they are missing for more than an hour or so. i always call my cats indoors at about 6pm (well not anymore because they all passed on now except 1 but she's a house cat) i panic about my babies if they didnt come back so i know how you feel  bear_original

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

That's wonderful that Polo has you there to care for him.How awful that the neighbor doesn't care about him. It's not a wonder he comes to you,he knows where he is loved and wanted. As long as you can get her to pay vet bills, I think it's a good deal for you and Polo  bear_grin  Just let her keep thinking he's her cat when you and he know the truth  bear_wub I'd be knocking at your door at all hours too if I were him.Thanks so much for sharing your story about Polo and for being so wonderful to him.  bear_smile  Hugs

Pipa UK

Lol shari yep she can pay the vet bills, i spent a fortune on vet bills with my dog i cant afford anymore extras  :P
The one thing i am plesed is that the owner does take them to the vets if they need to go (she has 2 cats but her other cat wont come to us she roams the street aswell and doesnt get fed. she is STICK thin..you can feel all her spine and ribs etc. we put food down outside for her . she eats it sometimees but she's very timid and runs off if she hers you coming out the door)

We're suckers for cats. all of our cats have been stray's we took in off the street (ones that didnt have owners) apart from 1, the cat i have now. she was born here to a cat we took in (who turned out to be pregnant) so we kept her and the kitty, we've took lods in over the years. we're convinced they tell their pals to come here. we never turn them away ! i should just put a notice on my door "open house for all strays"  bear_rolleyes

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

We don't have any cats right now but my little Muffy (dog) girl is almost 13 is the only one we have .

One day when I was teaching her a few tricks my hubby said; " I wish you'd teach her to close the front door so I don't have to get up from my chair watching TV ". I said OK...I think she can learn that pretty easily ". We both were astonished when she caught on in 5 min !

Now...on her own..she will jump up and hit the door with her 2 front paws to make it go " bumpty bump " ( its loose ) to go outside for potty or whatever. ..then when she wants in she does the same to the screen door frame....it makes a nice bumpty bump noise too. If you don't come right away she will just keep doing it  til you do. People are amazed when they come to visit when I ask her to please " shut the door" for a lower kitchen cabinet. hee, hee.  Winney

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Winney, very smart dog you have. But that also means you are very intune with her.
Pipa, funny story. I'm also glad you that watch out for these cats. Cats are pretty independant, but some people think they are COMPLETELY independant, and that's not true at all.

We used to have a cat that would ring the doorbell when he wanted to come in. No kidding. It took us a long time to figure out it was him though.

Heather

Pipa UK

Oh winney wow that is amazing!! what a neat trick to teach your dog hehe animals are so intelligent! and im sure they love the challenge and mental stimulation of learning new stuff !!!!

Pipa UK

Heather wow he rung the doorbell that is so cool !! hehe, i love hearing other stories about pets ! what an intelligent bunch of pets we have huh  bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow, I DO SO LOVE these pet stories!!  Our old girl, Misty (her pic has been posted before), taught me how to open the door for her to go out when she was a youngster.  She had observed several times what I did to the door to get it open, so one time when I was a little slow in getting up to open it for her, she jumped up on a little chest beside the door - put her little paws around the doorknob, looked at me and hummed.  So guess she thought I'd forgotten how!  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  We now have a kitty door, thank goodness!  Way to go, all you pets!!!  bear_wub  bear_wub  :hug:  :hug:

Pipa UK

Oh Sue Ann that must have been absolutlyey ADORABLE to see  bear_wub

sandi Snowy Day Bears
St. Albans, VT

busted.JPGI love all your stories.  Pets are so wonderful and charming.  My kitty knows where I keep the cat food and when I'm slow at getting it for her she marches over to the cabinet and opens the door to speed things up.  One of my other kitties tells me when it is time to go to bed.  She scolds me quite loudly if stay up past my bed time.
I call this picture "Busted"

Board footer