Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

I am finally home after the most exciting time.

We took a 9 hour bus drive (220 miles) from Manila to Banaue.

The rice terraces there are a UNESCO heritage site, and they blow your mind. All made by hand, every rock carried for miles. From Banaue we did a "gentle" 5 hour hike into Batad village and down to the water fall. Quite frankly my legs could have done without the water fall bit, but Batad is very beautiful. The top of the terraces is narrow and that is what the local people use as a "road". Everything is carried into the village along them.
Batad_village.JPG  100_4657.JPG

We met a lovely couple and decided to go on to Bontoc with them. About 45 mins in a Jeepney.The purpose was a traditional market. But the only thing traditional was all the "made in China" stuff. Anyhow.
IMG_0826.JPG  The_main_road1.JPG

Next day off to Sagada. 2 Hours in a very packed Jeepney, which was a good thing, you don't roll around so much. Sagada is renowned for hanging coffins. Traditionally people were smoked for a few days in a chair and then put into a coffin and either put into a cave or hung on the side of a cliff, depending on their status.

Those little brown log like things are small coffins.. There are 100's packed into one cave. They kind of fold the person up to fit into that tiny coffin.

Burial_cave.JPG  IMG_0791.JPG
100_4741.JPG

My hubby and the other couple wanted to go potholing. I opted for what I thought was a gentle stroll which turned into a full scale caving expedition. I cannot walk on slippery stuff and had a bag of our things so chickened out of one stretch of the cave, and was left in the dark with a tiny torch. I would do that again if I ever had the opportunity. I lay on a rock in the absolute dark with the gentle sound of water (and some bats). It was pure bliss.
cave.JPG I am in that blob of people, at least I have proof I was there :crackup:  :crackup:

The trip home was long. It took us just over 36 hours and included, jeepneys, taxis, busses and planes. One part of the road had a huge landslide and we had to wait while they cleared it.

Aside from being exhausted and having a pile of toxic washing, (bat poo does not smell good) I am in absolute awe of what I have seen. And totally gobsmacked at the things I have achieved in the last while. I even went over a suspension bridge which for me was a big "no no".

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

BEAUTIFUL scenery, Carolynn!!  Your trip does sound unusual, but very exciting.  Glad you're back with us safe and sound.

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

Amazing photos of the rice terraces.

Bubble-Up Bears Bubble Up Bears!
Murrieta, California

Wow such fantastic pictures!
Thanks for sharing Carolynn.
Sounds like you had a very fun and exciting time!
Good for you!! bear_original

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Carolynn, you told me that you were going on this holiday, but Wow, what a holiday. Thank you so much for sharing the pictures and I must say the one with the skull peaking through the coffin made me smile, not that it should have really.  bear_grin What beautiful scenery, I have never personally seen anything like that. The jeepney looks like you would have had a bumpy ride, but fun anyway. I am happy that you had a good time and thank you so much for sharing it all with us.

Hugs, Jane.  bear_thumb  :photo:  bear_thumb
P.S. How did you plants manage with you away from home?

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

:dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Doing the happy dance for you, honey!

It looks these holidays were fantastic, hehehehehehehehe!

I hope you will most more photos in your blog!

It is great to read you again.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Carolynn Teenytinyteddybears

Thanks girls. Funny though, those pics do nothing justice. Was too stunning to see. Jane they coped ok. The bubble things worked well. My tomato seedlings are fine and I only lost 1 basil plant that was looking a bit ill anyway. Sophie I don't have a blog. But I really think I should start one for this trip especially. I did loads of research before we went but found out so much more. Important stuff, like where to find cash machines. One of the couples had to travel 3 hours to draw more cash. We almost had enough but also have local bank accounts so we were fine. I have put some more pics on Facebook. I must admit I am feeling a bit lost today. Never thought I was cut out for the back packing thing. But I obviously am.

tindlebears Tindle Bears
Xenia, ohio

What a lucky duck you are :clap:  Next time take me with you? bear_wub

I'll email you about the swap if your still interested :)
welcome home!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

What a wonderful holiday you must have had Carolynn and thanks for sharing your photos.
Glad you got back home safely.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Love those photos!!  Aren't you a lucky girl!  Just gorgeous  bear_innocent

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Certainly looks to be an experience well worth the effort.  Love the photos.  bear_thumb

BootButtonBears BootButtonBears
Adelaide
Website

Thanks so much for sharing your photos.  Your holidays looks like it was really terrific.  It is so great seeing other places in the world - so very different from where I live.   :hug:  :hug:

Board footer