Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

LEllenBrown Posts: 213

So you are very creative in lots of ways! Nice to hear from you and learn what you are doing these days! Ellen

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Seriously?  I mean... SERIOUSLY  Holy cow Kelly!!!!!!  bear_thumb  bear_wub

Angela Angela's Bear Garden
St. Catharines, Ontario

They look amazing! You sure are multi-talented! bear_thumb

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Kelly Dean,
Missed you at TBAI! I thought you might come :pray: But now I know what you were doing. You missed out on some very interesting after show  bear_rolleyes fun.
Karen

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

The main course may be duck soup but I'm sticking around for dessert.  WOW!  I bet it all tastes as good as it looks.

Hugs,
Alison

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Wow, those are fabulous, Kelly! That is so neat the way you do the pie crusts - just one big circle and then folded in for the top - very clever!

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

thanks, everyone - ya'll are sweet as pie  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

and so many questions & comments that I don't know where to start. .

first of all . . . not perfect, or even close.  you probably ought to know that I don't cook for myself - ever.  I subsist on Lean Cuisine, toast & coffee.  I know how to cook because I was the food service director at a christian youth outreach camp for 10 years (Young Life).  (I can't cook for one, but I can still whip up a dinner for 500 with my eyes closed)

the folded, free-form style of pie is french & called a 'galette'.  they are usually open-faced, about 8" across and meant to serve 2.  I didn't invent it, but I've never seen it done at 14" with 5 pounds of fruitand serving 10.  I've never been a fan of pie before, but I like the ratio of fruit-to-crust here much better than a regular pie.

(and probably the REASON more people don't bake pies this way is that the whole things weighs in at about 15 pounds and has to be baked on a baking stone on the floor of a 450 degree oven for 25 minutes before being moved to the second shelf to finish off.  it's a dangerous operation andI've got the burn scars to prove it.  gives an exceptionally crisp crust, though)

my mother has no secret 'family' recipes that don't involve either 2 cans of Campbells Soup or 2 containers of Cool Whip, sometimes in the same recipe.  I use cookbooks and online forums to do my research, then take it from there. 

(for most fruit pies I toss the fruit with bit of sugar, let it bleed for a few hours, drain the juices, reduce the juice to about 1/4 cup. and add a splash of a liqueur like Chambord or Jack Daniels before folding them into the crust.  fresh fruit doesn't need much dressing)

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Thanks Kelly, is it a standard short crust or sweetened? I'm going to give them a go when the fruit's on again, just have to see if I can get the wood stove cranked up that hot! bear_original  bear_original

Board footer