Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Cassie Posts: 5

Hi,
I have had a search of past topics and couldn't find my answer so I apologise in advance if this has been asked before.

I want to sculpt a full teddy face in polymer and make the balance of the head, body etc as a soft bear. Firstly, does anyone have a pattern or can advise how I modify an existing pattern and second, how does the fabric part of the head attach to the face - a strong glue?

Thank you for the help!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I have never done this type of bear but I have seen faces that have holes perferated around the rim of the face so that you can sew the fabric to the clay face. The holes are put in before the face is dried or baked. I don't know if that helped.

Thank you so much Michelle, that was really kind of you to reply.  I ended up buying a pattern/tutorial and made my bear (I am now hooked). The face was sculpted and then a ridge was carved around the boarder for the fur to be sewn into the groove (like a lasoo) and glued in place.

I have attached a pic to show you the finished product.

I loved making this bear and I'm already planning my next one, with modifications.

Thanks again for the help Michelle!

Face up close

Finished bear

Oh my gosh Cassie, that is the cutest bear, You did a wonderful job.

Thank you Michelle.  Looking at it now, I think I should have trimmed the fur around the face.  This is only the second bear I have made and I totally botched the muzzle trimming on the first one.

Do you have any suggestions for how I trim evenly and have it blend well?  Any help is appreciated bear_happy

student bearmaker Northern Ireland

bear_wub WOW! Can't believe this is only your second bear,she's fantastic.
Sorry I can't really advise on the trimming as I am a novice at this technique myself.
I think it doesn't need trimmed it looks great as it is.
However here's a a tutorial on muzzle trimming which may give you some tips.
http://www.islebebear.com/muzzle-trimming-part-1
I've seen dog trimming on You Tube which shows curved scissors as a good tool for blending the edges.
Well done!

In agree with Renee. I don't think it need more trimming. you want the drama of the big Main around the face because of the bold character of the clay sculpture. That is my two cents.

Renee. Thank you for posting the muzzle trimming tutorial. It has great information.

student bearmaker Northern Ireland
Michelle Helen wrote:

In agree with Renee. I don't think it need more trimming. you want the drama of the big Main around the face because of the bold character of the clay sculpture. That is my two cents.

Renee. Thank you for posting the muzzle trimming tutorial. It has great information.

You're very welcome Michelle Helen.
Angela is a very generous artist sharing her knowledge and skills in bearmaking and her tutorials have been a great help to a 'new girl' like me. bear_flower

Board footer