Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Sue Ann!  You are a wonderful illustrator!  That is simply amazing!  Oh my, I simply had no idea that you could do this!  Oh, how fun it would be see see some other fascinating things that our many members can do!  can we see some quilting from someone!?  I KNOW we have quilters here!  Come on....  Maybe someone can start a brand new topic... of the other hobbies we do outside bears... I know that one of the magazines ran an article about that and I just loved it!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

My mom collects fairies bear_wub

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Wow...she is absolutely beautiful.  I too love fairies...although sculpting and anything that tiny I simply can not fathom doing.  One of my favorite artists for fairies is Cicely Mary Barker who created the Flower Fairies.  I've managed to get most of her books (recent publications although I'd love originals).  She also wrote poetry for each of her flower fairies...simple and sweet.

http://www.flowerfairies.com/

Hudson, Ohio

Oh Shantell!  I LOVE CMB!  Love her!  I have a collector/artist friend in England who sent me a whole bunch of little cards and a calendar with the flower faeries on them.... SO Pretty!  Her drawing of the children's faces are just wonderful... and the flower petals and leaves on the outfits....  She's one of my favorite children's illustrators Shantell!

Beary truly yours,
Kim basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Kim,

I just adore your little baby - darling and so tiny and the attention to detail is beautiful.
Kim, I really think that the connection between Bears and Dolls is there and I am glad
that you have showed us this sweet little creation. Best of luck with her ebay auction.
I used to make porcelain dolls and I know a few others started off like this.

SueAnn,

Your book is delightful and what an amazing way of teaching children how to
protect the enviroment. I love Dinodillo - what a great creation.
What a lot of talented people on Teddy talk.

Hugs
Carolyn

bear_original

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi Kim,

She made me smile and I could not take my eyes off her...she is so sweet and tiny.
Wonderful..... thanks for sharing her.  bear_original 

Kassity

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Wow Kim....I let out an audible Oooohhh when I saw Brynn. That is the sweetest little baby and I can't believe you made it all by yourself you clever thing you! SO glad you shared! bear_wub

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK
Deb wrote:

I could probably whip up a stick figure one!

bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  Me too Deb, me too!!!

This teeny baby is just gorgeous, Kim, and as soon as my daughter saw the photo she wanted me to buy it for her....aww....it really is so precious and I'm in total admiration! Please show us more if you make more!

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw
Hudson, Ohio

You guys are killing me with kindness!   :redface:  Thank you so much!  You know.... if you even have an inkling that you want to try your hand at polymer clay... you really SHOULD!  Back in 2001, when I picked up a piece of polymer clay for the first time, I had NO idea what I was doing.....hadn't made anything with clay since 4th grade art class!  There are probably a ton of books right at your local library about working with polymer clay that spell out it's limitations, how to do it, etc.... It requires no specialized tools... I use cuticle sticks, toothpicks, crochet hooks, craft knives, and various sizes of blunt embrodery needles to sculpt.  they are often wigged with mohair... God knows most of just have that lying around!  And to embellish and/or dress them, you just need "stuff," bits of fabric, lace, leather, ultrasuede, beads.... Tell me you don't have THAT!  If making dolls doesn't seem to be your thing, you can always make bear noses, claws, eyelids, little custom charms for your beary friends! .... it is fabulous stuff!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Kim,
     What do you use for sculpting.  When I did mini dolls, I used a combination of Cernit and Super Sculpey.  I found the fimo too hard on my hands.  Now I realize they have soft fimo, and have been thinking about trying it again.   I agree it's lots of fun, and uses some different skills, so it's interesting!

Hugs,

Brenda

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Ooooh......she's so adorable!  I just want to put her in a little feathered nest and put a cloche over her to keep her safe.   bear_original

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Hudson, Ohio
thumperantiques wrote:

Hi Kim,
     What do you use for sculpting.  When I did mini dolls, I used a combination of Cernit and Super Sculpey.  I found the fimo too hard on my hands.

I think I've used about all of them over the years Brenda... I love the regular Fimo because it IS firm, but you are so right, it is really hard to condition it using your hands.  A lot of people use a small pasta roller to condition clay, and Fimo does make a product, i thik it's called "plasticizer" it's a solid, just like clay, but it's fairly translucent and you can add that to make it softer... Sculpy makes something called Sculpy Dilutent that you can add as well... that one's a liquid.  Fimo soft is REALLY soft. 

I am partial to the light flesh Cernit with a tiny little pea sized amount of white or ivory clay.  Or... beige Premo (made by Sculpy-- it's their "high end" product) with a bit of white added.  Premo tends to be pretty hard though too....

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals
http://www.picturetrail.com/bastadolls

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Kim, she is so precious!  I'm glad you have started again!  Your fearies are just so beautiful!  It is something that I would love to try eventually. 
I love Cicely Mary Barker too!  Have a calender plastered on the back of my bedroom door lol.  I love fairys.  I also love Shirley Barber , her fairys are beautiful and I am so inspired by her work.

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

She's beautiful Kim! So detailed... and another gorgeous set of wings. Wow. So glad you posted this little darling!
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Hudson, Ohio

I am going to miss the wee little thing now that she's sold!  the good news, she's going to a home that already has a bunch of my bears there... does thi smake me a cross over artist!? HMMM.... just kidding... it does go to show that there are folks who do collect bears AND dolls.  Bye-Bye little Brynn!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild thyme Originals
http://www.picturetrail.com/bastadolls

Board footer